Cyber Crimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber Crimes

I was just reading up on an interesting topic and the law that some may not be aware of.

and felt it would make for a good discussion starter.

Extreme example:

Federal Law:

One of the Laws:

forums, blogs, email are not excluded from the law concerning harassment. I suspect the law will become more enforced as the public becomes aware they are protected to a great degree from internet crimes, bullying and harassment.

The first example is a sad case of a child being bullied through internet and text messages and she killed herself. The other two links will get you started on the law itself as these are new laws due to an ever changing internet and mean people in our society. It all seems to be going down within the last couple of years to protect people online.

Parents, do check with your children at least once a year to see if they are being harassed online from school kids- because the terror is just as real to children as it is to adults. Especially the ones who are a bit shy and may not understand what is really happening. They may be afraid to talk to anyone.

I would also like to point out that this forum is probably one of the very few public forums where harassment, personal attacks and bullying is not allowed. I am very proud to be a member of a place that allows it's members to speak their views with an honest heart and moderators and members respect each other without bullying the members while keeping the bullies out.

We have the best moderator team, the best members and the best forum on the web!
    {I know you already know that}

How do you feel about the law?
    Have you known others who have been stalked or harassed online?
    Have you read some of the cases that have been taken to court?

This is a rather new trend of crime that I feel needs to be taken just as serious as if you were talking to someone in a public place or on the phone. What do you think?

I have other links if interested and send them back this way when you discover them.

Hi Bandit: 'Hub and I are the 8 year victims of a cyberstalker and his two minions, and we have been unable to get any kind of relief at all.

'Hub posted a thread related to this earlier, and in it is an abbreviated version of the story:

The continuous harassment and frivolous lawsuits is one of the major reasons we are in this predicament.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Oh My.

I had no idea and totally missed that thread. I am going there now to read and catch up. This is serious business that I feel people are taking too lightly and are simply not aware of what is happening out there. That, or they just feel helpless.
      I will get back to you in about a day or so and bump/post on that thead. If I had known I would have just posted on that thread instead.

As far as I am concerned there is no difference in speaking it, writing on paper, or typing it online. Harrassment is harassment and cyber crime comes in many forms.

AngelinaCat, You are not alone in being long term victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
        Oh My.

I had no idea and totally missed that thread. I am going there now to read and catch up. This is serious business that I feel people are taking too lightly and are simply not aware of what is happening out there. That, or they just feel helpless.
        I will get back to you in about a day or so and bump/post on that thead. If I had known I would have just posted on that thread instead.

As far as I am concerned there is no difference in speaking it, writing on paper, or typing it online. Harrassment is harassment and cyber crime comes in many forms.

AngelinaCat, You are not alone in being long term victims.
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I personally don't think there is enough laws out there to protect people on the internet. Sadly you are starting to hear more and more stories about things happening and the effects of the internet on peoples life's. I think people need to be very careful with what they share with someone on the internet.

My youngest son has a myspace which is the same age of that poor little girl was. I know his password and do try to log into his from time to time to check up on whats going on there. I feel that I have to do this because of all of the stories you hear now days about online predators and other horror stories.

And I have to agree with Bandit this is one of the best forums around that I have been on that doesn't seem to put up with people being harassed or them being hateful with their words to other members here. I have been on a forum were they allow free speech and I have read of people complaining about being harassed all the time there. You read of them making threats to other members their openly. Threatening to give out their address's , phone numbers and other such things. But this is allowed there because it is a " free speech forum". It isn't wise to trust just anyone with your personal info. Because it could come back to bite you later.
          Filed CH 13: 3/5/04
          First Mtg: 3/31/04
          Confirmed: 11/4/04
          I'M DONE !!

Comment

Once a year is not enough to be checking on your child. Do it every day.

If you want to become a poster child for cyber harrassment, give your real information to any site that is asking for it. Add to that an addiction for posting and ego, and bam, you have cyber problems.

I addressed this on the thread, Who is bkforum?, but to repeat, why do you think facebook, myspace, etc. was started?

A site like facebook sells your personal information. Every time you click on one of those links, like "What Sex and the City star are you?, or send a hug, or send karma, you are giving yet another website your personal information.

If you understand the way the internet works and how money is made, you can be more careful and aware.

IMO, no child under 18 should be allowed to have access to a social site that is asking for personal information. Parental control is not a device that you install on your computer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
              Once a year is not enough to be checking on your child. Do it every day.

If you want to become a poster child for cyber harrassment, give your real information to any site that is asking for it. Add to that an addiction for posting and ego, and bam, you have cyber problems.

I addressed this on the thread, Who is bkforum?, but to repeat, why do you think facebook, myspace, etc. was started?

A site like facebook sells your personal information. Every time you click on one of those links, like "What Sex and the City star are you?, or send a hug, or send karma, you are giving yet another website your personal information.

If you understand the way the internet works and how money is made, you can be more careful and aware.

IMO, no child under 18 should be allowed to have access to a social site that is asking for personal information. Parental control is not a device that you install on your computer!!!

Your right and that's why momma was sitting right there when my son created his myspace. To make sure he didn't put in his correct info and that I do keep a check on it also. I NEVER put in my correct info or allow him to either at any site.
              Filed CH 13: 3/5/04
              First Mtg: 3/31/04
              Confirmed: 11/4/04
              I'M DONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                Hi Bandit: 'Hub and I are the 8 year victims of a cyberstalker and his two minions, and we have been unable to get any kind of relief at all.

'Hub posted a thread related to this earlier, and in it is an abbreviated version of the story:

The continuous harassment and frivolous lawsuits is one of the major reasons we are in this predicament.

I read a lot of that and wow.....this is why I never use my name on the net for anything, and while a handsome man with a very attractive girlfriend ( ), i still dont post mine or our pics on the net....because you just never know.

But, this guy would have to prove you hacked, and as long as you didn't do it, then dont worry. Even if he did prove it, spamming an email might net him another $10 for pain and suffering, lol. If im not mistaken, the law doesn't even get involved with this kind of stuff unless it can be proven that $10,000 or more in damages have occurred. Heck, thats why most emails have a spam filter. Just ignore him if you can.....but hell, if anything countersue for harrassment since it looks like he's the one with the $$$ instead of you guys. Bait him, bag him, and wrap it up for a jury trial.
                http://www.debt-consolidation-credit...play.php?f=177

Comment

Some very good advice from everyone.

I should clarify that what I meant by checking at least once a year with the children was meant for during the school year because each year has new problems and challenges that they face and cyber crime should not have to be one of them. Especially for those who are already picked on the most.

Comment

I joined this goofy religion forum when the internet first started. The preacher wanted me to give my full name in my ID to be a member and change it to my full name. I told him to get lost. Being banned was great thing.

I only joined it to get info for meeting someone who had a wrote a book I was interested in and he knew the guy. That in itself is a problem with the web.

Comment

I gotcha on that, Hub.

If you were never in that public internet space at that particular time to begin with, none of your nightmare story for cyber crime would have happened. Yes?

Comment

I never even considered the possibility of a cyber crime through this forum. I figure there is not anything for anyone to gain from us since we are all at rock bottom at this time!

ON the other hand harassment comes in many forums and there are people who may see us as vulnerable due to the nature of our losses and discreetly use that against us as a reason for joining. I am a skeptic these days for sure.

We just need to stay educated on how best to protect ourselves online from all forms of cyber crimes. I would think that includes the trolls because they are also getting busted by the law.

Comment

Hi All: I posted this comment on another thread, but it is appropriate here as well:

"The college where I work my PT job, is now actually requiring the students to sign up for Myspace accounts. I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard that. These are supposed to be shielded and protected as opposed to the general accounts, but I think we all know how *secure* the Internet is."

I was horrified when I learned of this development, because so many times when we hear of children, teens, and young adults *meeting* someone they have met on the Internet; or of sexual predators being caught by law enforcement officers posing as underage children, these almost always involve Myspace, Facebook, or some other online social network.

I tried talking to my immediate supervisor about this, but as low person on the totem pole, my concerns get brushed aside by the administration.
                          Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-01-2008, 05:33 AM.
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

"The college where I work my PT job, is now actually requiring the students to sign up for Myspace accounts. I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard that. These are supposed to be shielded and protected as opposed to the general accounts, but I think we all know how *secure* the Internet is."
                            And the reason the colleges are starting to require accounts? So they can use the rich multimedia of Myspace etc to communicate campus matters to the students and faculty. The Administration accounts would be restricted to viewing only by Myspace members of registered students of the college - eg you would need an account to receive accouncements this way. Requiring an account is actually a security measure to limit campus affairs to those with a need to know - and keep non-students (eg dangerous predators) out of the system.

There is no requirement that a student use this "college account" for any of their personal information. It can be an invisible account to the outside world, and would have no personal information anyway. If an adult (18 and older) student wants to have their own MySpace account so they can put movies of themselves in their underwear on Myspace and open it up to the world, they are going to do that anyway - unless you want to amend the Constitution.

An example, which many schools are following:
                            Officials at the University of California at Los Angeles have been working with MySpace to build a system that will automatically post emergency alerts to a university MySpace page. The project has not yet been officially announced, but it should be ready in the next few months, said David S. Burns, emergency manager for UCLA.

The project was proposed and led by a Sara Cohen, who worked as an intern in Mr. Burns's office while she was a graduate student at UCLA. Ms. Cohen lived in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and found MySpace and Facebook to be the best sources of information then because cell-phone networks and other communication systems suffered outages, and she thought the university could proactively use social networks in future disasters.

Mr. Burns said the university hopes to share the computer code it has developed with other colleges. "It's not as easy as it sounds" to automate the process, he said.

But the university plans to turn off all ability for users to comment on the MySpace page, to keep rumor and false information off the site, said Mr. Burns.

At least a few other colleges—including Florida State University and the University of Iowa—are also exploring creating MySpace or Facebook pages for use in emergency alerts.
                            Last edited by WhatMoney; 09-01-2008, 11:57 AM.
                            “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

My college has a program called blackboard where enrolled students and instructors can communicate and the information is secure.

I don't know why more colleges don't just cough up the money and buy something that is functional and can keep their students safe.
                              Last edited by Pinkie86; 09-01-2008, 12:09 PM.
                              FILED!: August 11, 2008 * Pre-Filing Fico Score - 643 * 341: October 8, 2008 * Last Day for Objections: December 7, 2008
                              "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X