Magic Jack usb broadband phone thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Jack usb broadband phone thingy

Ok, so I bought one of these things for $40. I figure it was going to be a glorified Skype rip off of sorts. I was right.

The difference though is that this little gadget works for both incoming AND outgoing calls. Unlike Skype, which makes you buy that service to take incoming calls. The sound quality with magic jack is pretty good too. It claims to work with any phone you have.

So for $40, it comes with a year service. After that, it's supposed to be $20.

Mind you, this is for unlimited calls! I even got my fax machine to fax off the magic jack. The service even includes voicemail.

So yes, I'm sold.

For anyone who has broadband/dsl, get it. It's a good value.

I mostly bought it to save on my cell phone minutes.

I've had my MagicJack for a few months now and like it a lot. I'm still working through QOS issues with my router but overall it works well and I'll soon be trading my landline for it. I also use it to preserve my cell phone minutes and it works very well in that regard.

Comment

Does it give you an automatic phone number with the service?

Do you have to go online and pick a number?

I don't have a landline anymore because we have 3 cell phones in the fam, but it would be nice to keep my teenager off of her cell and stop sucking up all the minutes (Damn boyfriend!) Seriously how many times a day do you need to talk to somebody? 10 gazillion?

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
        For anyone who has broadband/dsl, get it. It's a good value.
        This maybe a stupid question, but don't you need a phone line to get broadband / dsl?

Unless your getting your internet through cable or satellite..
        Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
        341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
        Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
        Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Nope, they have this thing called Dry Loop, no phone service but you can get DSL.

I have Verizon DSL, no phone service.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
            I don't have a landline anymore because we have 3 cell phones in the fam, but it would be nice to keep my teenager off of her cell and stop sucking up all the minutes (Damn boyfriend!) Seriously how many times a day do you need to talk to somebody? 10 gazillion?
            It's funny you mention that Dingdong.. During my dating years, I would always be on the phone with my girlfriends for hours and I really can't recall what the hell we talked about.

I do recall spending time on the phone with my wife when we first started dating, but after we moved in with each other, there was no need for that.

Now it seems like we really don't have anything to say to one another. I guess that's how exciting our lives are
            Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Nope, they have this thing called Dry Loop, no phone service but you can get DSL.

I have Verizon DSL, no phone service.
              I will have to check into that and see if they offer that where I live. I know they have DSL around here, but Verizon was sold to Fair Point last year and things haven't been the same since.
              Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Yep, I remember talking on the phone a fair amount, but not every 5 minutes and then texting, then another call, then a text and on and on and on!.

I am going to buy some good walkie talkies and duct tape them to each others ears. Then they can be in constant contact with no cell overages.

Jeeze!

When they aren't on the phone they are IM-ing each other.

Bleck! Puppy love. Teenagers are so goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by WillinVT View Post
                  I will have to check into that and see if they offer that where I live. I know they have DSL around here, but Verizon was sold to Fair Point last year and things haven't been the same since.
                  You can go to Verizon.com and input your address or phone number and it will tell you if the service is available.

Saves on the cost of a LL, cuz you don't really need it if you have a cell and dsl/cable.

Comment

You can go to Verizon.com and input your address or phone number and it will tell you if the service is available.

Saves on the cost of a LL, cuz you don't really need it if you have a cell and dsl/cable.
                    I know the service isn't available where I live now, but my wife and I are planning on moving in October and where we are moving to, Comcast isn't available I have a 2 year contract with them for Phone, Internet and Cable. They told me that if I break the contract, it would be a $150.00 fee, unless I move to another place that they don't offer service to.

This will work out great because I can quit paying $183.00 a month for my Comcast service and get DSL, a MagicJack and Dish Network and that will cut my bill down quite a bit...
                    Discharged - 10/06/2009

Comment

Does it give you an automatic phone number with the service?

Do you have to go online and pick a number?

Yes Ding Dong: Here is how it works; First you must have always on high speed Internet. DSL is OK but cable is the fastest. In some places there is microwave but you need an antenna. Too much hassle.

Once plugged in, the 'Jack's" firmware goes to a website, introduces itself, down loads a setup page, uploads it's MAC address, and asks you questions. You must have a valid email. You can pick any state you wish to look like you are in. Example, if you have grand kids across the country, you can pick up a local number for them so they need not address long distance. Then you may pick any area code in the state you wish, then any exchange in that area code. The last four numbers will be emailed to you, and in five minutes you are online. It is an impressive item. You can even take it overseas on a laptop and use it in a wifi cafe'. No country charge.

You get caller ID, missed calls, recorded voicemail and voicmail also sent to your email account in a wave file. You have a speed call address book and free 411. The service people are great with no waiting. We had a billing question and it was resolved in minutes.

I do not know how they really make money at 20 bucks a year, but it is the first real bargain I have seen in years. The only advertising you get is their own about getting five more years pre paid for the price of three. The quality is good and yes you can fax as normal with it. I tore out all my land line wires in some work around the house. I don't intend to used them again. 'Hub
                      \
                      P.S. Things you cannot do, accept collect calls. Another bonus. Your number is also unlisted (bill collectors).
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yes, I will definately second the opinion that the tech support was very good!

I did the online chat and the lady that helped me was prompt and very courteous. A rarity these days!

I'm debating buying a fancier cordless speakerphone now.

Unfortunately, you do NOT get to pick your phone number. It is auto generated.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I think I am going to "Magic Jack" my daughter!

HAHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)

Comment

I almost got one, however, there is one caveat: you have to keep your computer turned on at all times, as it powers the Magic Jack.

Considering that you have to keep the computer on, how much electricity is going to be used. I for one don't really want a high electric bill. Maybe if they found a way to have it so that it didn't need to be powered by the computer, it might be worth the investment.
                            sigpic
                            Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
                            Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
                            Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

Computers are not that power intensive, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

I haven't read up on it, but are you sure you need to leave the computer on, or mearly the Router and Network Hub/switch.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X