Anyone caring for and elderly relative while going through BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone caring for and elderly relative while going through BK

I moved out of state oct 2007 to visit an ex girlfriend and found a damn good job, so I moved there. Easiest, best paying job I ever had. A few months later I decided to move back to spend what ended up being 3 more months with my mother, she passed away due to breast cancer july 28, 2008.

With all the attention on her for so long my father was neglected a bit.
    So my siblings just assumed since I'm the youngest at 37, staying in the same house, not working, no kids or wife (all of which I wanted someday-guess I can throw that idea out the window)
    They just assigned me caretaker for my father who has COPD (thats emphysema, mesothelioma) rheumatoid arthritis everywhere they said even in his lungs, diabetes.

I went from a contruction related technician, to a home health care provider (for free), my older sister lives up north, my younger sister lives next door and helps out hardly never, my brother lives 10 minutes away and never comes over.

Obviously this lead to my not paying bills, feeling like my life was taken from me and getting threats from CA's to come take what little I do have left.

As all of you know, this little sob story just gets ignored in a legal situation so I don't mention it, except when people assume I'm a lazy ass that doesn't feel like working.

I think I'm losing it, seriously.
    I can hear my dad at night suffering to breathe, theres nothing I can do. It sounds like people are in there hurting him, in a situation like that I'd break the door down and beat some ass but you can't do that with a health condition. Only he can fight it, and it's a battle no one can win. You don't get better from COPD. (if you don't know thats Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) it's more of a generalized term instead of using all the big words.

It's hitting me so hard my body is starting to mimic his conditions, it's a mental thing I guess.

I'm already not the type of person to be comfortable in situations like this. I've been on anti anxiety medication half my life. My doctor got really pissed off at me because I never filled an anti-depressant he gave me. I'm not taking any more drugs.
    And I have no other crutch, I don't drink or smoke anything to zone out and forget it all.

But I'm losing it. I've been invited back to my ex's house since I left and I've been thinking of just packing up and leaving. But oh god that would make others have to step in and do stuff.
    I mean leaving as in leave my phone here and cut off all contact and go.

The house is willed in my name, but theres a reverse mortgage on it.
    So basically when my dad passes away I HAVE TO get a mortgage for the house for fair market value. That should be fun being in debt and not working.
    Everyone acts like thats some big prize I get, A HOUSE, OH LUCKY HIM.

Suicide, I have a gun, I guess I don't want my body to look like what it would do, I don't think I could do that.
    I am kind of careless. I have a car that will go 160+ mph and I've had it to 150 on the hiway several times at night when theres no traffic.

I guess it's not my time to go because I found myself sliding sideways at 120mph one night on a straight highway with guardrails on each side. The sad part is that all that flashed through my mind was not being able to see my cat again. I fought like hell to bring it straight but spun around once and DROVE away never even stopping with just a rub mark on the bumper where it hit the guardrail slightly. (Have you ever been sideways at 120 mph at night? then you have no idea. I've been sideways at 90 and regained control, it's amazing how much more scary 30 mph faster is. That and going backwards at 60 or so mph)

The next day the grass did look greener as people say, the sky looked more beautiful. But that only lasted about two days.

I think I'm on the bottom looking into a hole, I need help, and I don't know where to go or what to do.
    One thing I'm sure of, I'm not going to be in this situation much longer one way or another, I HAVE TO get out because it's changing my mentality.

I want a normal life.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get out?
    What would you do if you were me?

[QUOTE=tinfoilhat;288853]I moved out of state oct 2007 to visit an ex girlfriend and found a damn good job, so I moved there. Easiest, best paying job I ever had. A few months later I decided to move back to spend what ended up being 3 more months with my mother, she passed away due to breast cancer july 28, 2008.

With all the attention on her for so long my father was neglected a bit.
    So my siblings just assumed since I'm the youngest at 37, staying in the same house, not working, no kids or wife (all of which I wanted someday-guess I can throw that idea out the window)
    They just assigned me caretaker for my father who has COPD (thats emphysema, mesothelioma) rheumatoid arthritis everywhere they said even in his lungs, diabetes.

I went from a contruction related technician, to a home health care provider (for free), my older sister lives up north, my younger sister lives next door and helps out hardly never, my brother lives 10 minutes away and never comes over.

Obviously this lead to my not paying bills, feeling like my life was taken from me and getting threats from CA's to come take what little I do have left.

As all of you know, this little sob story just gets ignored in a legal situation so I don't mention it, except when people assume I'm a lazy ass that doesn't feel like working.

I think I'm losing it, seriously.
    I can hear my dad at night suffering to breathe, theres nothing I can do. It sounds like people are in there hurting him, in a situation like that I'd break the door down and beat some ass but you can't do that with a health condition. Only he can fight it, and it's a battle no one can win. You don't get better from COPD. (if you don't know thats Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) it's more of a generalized term instead of using all the big words.

It's hitting me so hard my body is starting to mimic his conditions, it's a mental thing I guess.

I'm already not the type of person to be comfortable in situations like this. I've been on anti anxiety medication half my life. My doctor got really pissed off at me because I never filled an anti-depressant he gave me. I'm not taking any more drugs.
    And I have no other crutch, I don't drink or smoke anything to zone out and forget it all.

But I'm losing it. I've been invited back to my ex's house since I left and I've been thinking of just packing up and leaving. But oh god that would make others have to step in and do stuff.
    I mean leaving as in leave my phone here and cut off all contact and go.

The house is willed in my name, but theres a reverse mortgage on it.
    So basically when my dad passes away I HAVE TO get a mortgage for the house for fair market value. That should be fun being in debt and not working.
    Everyone acts like thats some big prize I get, A HOUSE, OH LUCKY HIM.

Suicide, I have a gun, I guess I don't want my body to look like what it would do, I don't think I could do that.
    I am kind of careless. I have a car that will go 160+ mph and I've had it to 150 on the hiway several times at night when theres no traffic.

I guess it's not my time to go because I found myself sliding sideways at 120mph one night on a straight highway with guardrails on each side. The sad part is that all that flashed through my mind was not being able to see my cat again. I fought like hell to bring it straight but spun around once and DROVE away never even stopping with just a rub mark on the bumper where it hit the guardrail slightly. (Have you ever been sideways at 120 mph at night? then you have no idea. I've been sideways at 90 and regained control, it's amazing how much more scary 30 mph faster is. That and going backwards at 60 or so mph)

The next day the grass did look greener as people say, the sky looked more beautiful. But that only lasted about two days.

I think I'm on the bottom looking into a hole, I need help, and I don't know where to go or what to do.
    One thing I'm sure of, I'm not going to be in this situation much longer one way or another, I HAVE TO get out because it's changing my mentality.

I want a normal life.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get out?
    What would you do if you were me?[/
    QUOTE]

Yes, I would go see a doctor ASAP if I were you.

Comment

Yes, I would go see a doctor if I were you.
      All he wants to do is give me anti depressants, the newest ones. In the past I've had very negative side effects, they don't always make you happy. I've had some make me feel worse. I can't afford therapy, I've had that too when I was younger and it was a waste.
      I have an appointment next month, maybe I'll talk to him about my thoughts I shared here.

But I want out of this situation, a doctor can't get me out of this. I either have to walk away or suffer. I want to leave. I hate this state, I hate the people in it, the traffic, everything. I hate my dad treating me like I'm 13.

Comment

Two options left:

1. Tell/ask/request him/her to change your drugs/prescription;

2. Change/go to a different doctor. That's one sucks if notbenefits to you.

Comment

March next door to sisters house and let her know that you are going on vacation for the next month and that you would be happy to move dad into her spare room before you leave. You might even call dad's doc and let him know about the stressful situation that you are in and that it is not only effecting your health but it is more likely causing more issues for dad. They may refer you to a home health agency that can come in and give you some relief from the day to day care of your dad.

For god's sake call your doctor and tell him you can't wait a month to see him that you are having a really tough time right now and need to see him now.
          All of the negative thoughts and feelings that you write about need to be discussed with a professional.

Please let your family know about your feelings and that you are in no shape mentally right now to take care of dad. Please don't put this off any longer.

And stay out of fast moving cars!

Comment

Talk to your family members and tell them what is going on. That the ongoing caregiving is driving you nutso. That is a HUGE job.

Have you tried talking to Medicare about a home health care worker. You may be able to get some respite help from the state, medicare or there are even some charity based social service programs that provide respite care.

Even having two fixed "days off" may provide you enough relief that you will be able to get back some of your normal life.

And don't write yourself off at 37, you are definitely young enough to start a family, get married, do all the things you wanted to do.

Tell your siblngs that you need help. caring for your father is honorable, but not at the expense of having suicidal ideations.

tell them how you really feel. send them a copy of your post so they get a full grasp of how your role of caregiver is affecting your life.

DONT EVER GIVE UP YOUR PRECIOUS LIFE BECAUSE THINGS ARE TOUGH, BECAUSE THEY DO GET BETTER, AND DON'T RISK YOUR LIFE BY DOING CARELESS, RECKLESS THINGS.

when you start feeling trapped, post so we can help. Tough times pass, suicide is a one shot deal and there is no coming back.

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I may respond more specifically later.
              I've never told complete strangers anything this personal and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the kind words that I don't know what to say right now.

And I just got back from a bk consultation that seems very positive, if I can get rid of that problem it will be a huge help.

As far as my doctor goes I just had an appointment last month, I have one prescheduled for mid july so I suppose I'll tell him the down to earth truth about 'how's everything going', maybe I'll say more of whats in this thread instead of the standard 'ok'.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS! You've made the 1st step.

NOW - GET OUT!!! You are in a Toxic Relationship.

Your Life Is of Utmost Importance!

I've been there. I tried it.. Mine was due to a car accident Mar. 05 which left me disabled, I tried in July 06 by overdosing on pain pills plus muscle relaxers. I could NOT take antidepressants - I tried every brand on the market. There are Anti-Anxiety medicine which works just as well. I took Xanax.

You've hit the bottom of that deep black hole - there's only one way to go & that is UP! You've made 1 of the 10 steps on your StairCase to feeling 'Normal' by admitting your Attempt to others. Doesn't matter you don't know us or we don't know you. The next step is those three words above - Now-Get Out!

1. Pack your suitcases tonight. I'm sure you don't want Dad to hear you packing.

2. Suggest you take your cellphone with you. Make a phone call to one of your siblings after you have left the house & say You Had to leave for your Own Well Being & hang up.

3. Immediately turn it Off. Do not turn it back on until You feel better.

I knew when I made the 1st step on my Staircase, I wasn't going back in that hole. So, when you arrive at your destination, seek help.

My PCP, located 1/4 mile from home, & the(insert your choice) Up Above were able to get me Up To The Top Of My Staircase. I couldn't & was told by my Neurosurgeon not to drive. By 7/06 I'd had 3 of 7 surgeries & medical bills were horrific so DH had to work.

If you have any questions, please, please PM. It took me 9 months before I felt 'normal'....umph I'm not normal because I'm 100% disabled, but I think you get the drift.

Luci
                Last edited by LuciluS; 06-18-2009, 11:24 AM. Reason: O Darn - missed him - Come back tinfoilhat

Comment

Luci, I take xanax. Thats another problem, you know how you start off at .25mg and it's the greatest thing in the world? But the doctor never told you that several years from now you'll be up to 2mg every 4 hours and it doesn't do anything. BUT if you don't take it the withdrawls will most likely kill you.

That was great during the FL hurricanes and my prescription was running low and there was none at any walgreens. Hell I could finish myself off by NOT taking my medication.

Your plan sounds great, but I'm bankrupt with a pending lawsuit. I don't think I can just leave, well I know I can't now. But good news came today (knock on wood) now I don't have to wait 6 months to file. I can file as soon as I turn in the paperwork.

But that was the plan, I told my ex(girlfriend) to plan on me being there at the beginning of next year. Now I can do that sooner.

I think the main thing missing is my mom. She always had the right answers. I never realized how much I don't get along with my dad because I always went to her.

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilhat View Post
                    Luci, I take xanax. Thats another problem, you know how you start off at .25mg and it's the greatest thing in the world? But the doctor never told you that several years from now you'll be up to 2mg every 4 hours and it doesn't do anything. BUT if you don't take it the withdrawls will most likely kill you.

That was great during the FL hurricanes and my prescription was running low and there was none at any walgreens. Hell I could finish myself off by NOT taking my medication.

Your plan sounds great, but I'm bankrupt with a pending lawsuit. I don't think I can just leave, well I know I can't now. But good news came today (knock on wood) now I don't have to wait 6 months to file. I can file as soon as I turn in the paperwork.

But that was the plan, I told my ex(girlfriend) to plan on me being there at the beginning of next year. Now I can do that sooner.

I think the main thing missing is my mom. She always had the right answers. I never realized how much I don't get along with my dad because I always went to her.

Yes, I know what you are saying because Now I'm on 15 mg. of morphine 3 times a day along with other pain meds, muscle relaxers & sleeping pill! It's called Dependency! I sent u a PM

Luci

Comment

I hope I pm'd back right, it was saying I typed to much lol. You might get two of the same.

Comment

got them & sent back at ya!

Luci

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X