Need Advice for My Mother...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice for My Mother...

Hello, I have checked in so many places about this and always end up at a brick wall.

My mother is disabled. Has never worked a day in her life. She and my father split up about 5 years ago but have never gotten divorced. She has a boyfriend (dead beat @^$#%&$@%&) and they live together in a trailer that my mom purchased about the same time my parents split up.

My mother gets about 600 dollars a month in SSI benefits. That's it. She has lots of debt from my parent's marriage (credit card). Most of it is my father's because my dad had terrible credit and they always used my mother's credit. My parents have filed bankruptcy twice in their lifetimes... my father refuses to pay my mother ANY kind of support or money. Basically they cannot afford to get divorced and my father doesn't want to do it cause he knows he will be ordered to pay her allimony.

Anyways... my question is really how do I help my mom? She cannot afford to live on 600 dollars a month and her boyfriend doesn't work either he's getting gov't money which isn't a lot either. She barely pays the mortgage on her trailer and has hardly anything. She keeps trying to get gov't assistance but everyone tells her she doesn't make ENOUGH money for low income...what the hell is that???

She has gotten assistance from the church sometimes but they really don't like to keep helping on a continual basis. She wants to move somewhere more stable and affordable but finding it impossible. Her interest rate on her trialer is over 12% and she owes more than its worth. Desipite everything she has good credit, just no income. She is unable to refinance the trailer and also unable to sell it.

She keeps trying to get loans that are gov't assistance type things but they always tell her she doesn't have enough income etc... if she tries to put her boyfriend on it (since he makes more money) they say they will use his credit score... his score is like 400, so she can never get approved.

I of course cannot help her out being what situation I'm in and filing myself for chapter 7.

Do any of you know of any programs or assistance type things for housing that I can possibly look into? I think its rediculous to basically say sorry you don't make enough money for low income now go live on the street... She does live in Northern VA (out in the sticks of Fauquier county) and I tell her to move to another state where its cheaper but all of her medical doctors and care are here and would be very difficult for her to move and start over again with doctors.

Thanks in advance... I'm at the end of my rope listening to her complain all the time and not having any options to deal with. I actually called social services in our area and basically was told that my mom is SOL.
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Try section 8.
    Was your dad a vet (military)by any chance?

Vets get preference and are moved up the waiting list quicker.

Being disabled might give her a bump too, not sure.

Also, reverse mortgages, not sure about requirements on MH.

Does she own the land the trailer is on or rent it?

Comment

She tried section 8...they have closed the program down in most of the counties in Virginia for new applicatants.

My dad was actually in the military. He was in the army.

No, she does not own the land she is on a trailer park paying lot rent.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

hate to suggest it, but can she move in with you?
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
          She tried section 8...they have closed the program down in most of the counties in Virginia for new applicatants.

My dad was actually in the military. He was in the army.

No, she does not own the land she is on a trailer park paying lot rent.
          Call them up and see if the military preference will get her bumped up, it might work.

Here in California, if one of the applicants is a vet, you get moved to the top of the list. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Sometimes HUD gets an infusion ofmoney and they open up the waiting lists again.

With all the stim money getting doled out, maybe HUD will be a recipeient?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X