Would you help another get out of debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you help another get out of debt?

Just want to throw this out there... Would you help another person get out of debt so that they could avoid bankruptcy and save the lawyer's fees?

Have you ever handed the person at the stop light who's holding the sign "need food, money, etc" some spare change, a couple bucks, a breakfast bar! I do it all the time.

So what about the rest of us, that are up to our necks in debt. Would you toss a buck, five bucks, a ten, in an envelope with a stamp on it and mail it to that person to help them get out of debt? They'd have to be accountable for it, but can you imagine the revolution?

I am in the process of filing BK and have already sent my lawyer almost $3000!!! I could have used that to pay off one of my cards or sent that out to others to help them. Why isn't there another option besides BK. Any thoughts???

Originally posted by justanidea View Post
    Just want to throw this out there... Would you help another person get out of debt so that they could avoid bankruptcy and save the lawyer's fees?

Have you ever handed the person at the stop light who's holding the sign "need food, money, etc" some spare change, a couple bucks, a breakfast bar! I do it all the time.

So what about the rest of us, that are up to our necks in debt. Would you toss a buck, five bucks, a ten, in an envelope with a stamp on it and mail it to that person to help them get out of debt? They'd have to be accountable for it, but can you imagine the revolution?

I am in the process of filing BK and have already sent my lawyer almost $3000!!! I could have used that to pay off one of my cards or sent that out to others to help them. Why isn't there another option besides BK. Any thoughts???

Plenty of other options. Pay back the debt or settle the debt. Otherwise if you are serious (and I wonder if you are) you came to the right place for bk advice.
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

No.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Ironically, I have. Lol!

I have always been real big on giving back in whatever way I am able to.

Including giving a few bucks to a beggar, hot lunch for a homeless person, given money to help injured animals without a owner, worked as a foster home for animals for 10 years, loaned out money "i knew would never be returned", etc.

Paying it forward is something I believe in. Making someone else smile, makes me smile.

My kids joke, saying they hope I'd never win the lottery. Because they claim I would give it all away. Lol! They may be right, but I'd keep a bit for myself too. :-)
        8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
        11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Thanks for your post. This is a wonderful idea. I have a different idea on helping people.

I firmly believe in the saying 'give the person a fish and he eats for a day, teach the person to fish and he eats for a lifetime'.

When I see a beggar, I offer him a chance to earn some money by mowing grass, washing windows, etc.

Many times the most important thing you can do to help someone in debt is to share with them good advice about hard work and frugal living so that person will live a debt free life forever.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Comment

Originally posted by sigferl View Post
            Thanks for your post. This is a wonderful idea. I have a different idea on helping people.

I firmly believe in the saying 'give the person a fish and he eats for a day, teach the person to fish and he eats for a lifetime'.

When I see a beggar, I offer him a chance to earn some money by mowing grass, washing windows, etc.
            Many times the most important thing you can do to help someone in debt is to share with them good advice about hard work and frugal living so that person will live a debt free life forever.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
            Why don't you take him fishing and teach him that art?
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

DO any of us KNOW the difference between some one that appears to be really down and out and truly deserving help.....and the professional deadbeat..that wouldnt work if you offered him a 100k job??....although now with high unemployment there are many more down and out that truly do need help....the majority are just strung out dopers that wouldnt stoop to the level of mowing grass or washing windows..they would rather steal your lawnmower and sell it for enough for a fix....

Comment

Originally posted by sigferl View Post
                I used to do that too. Not once was the offer accepted and on a couple of occasions it got me called choice, profane names complete with comments of what the speaker said was my mother's occupation.
                Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

My SIL was a manager for Wendy's for years, used to hand out employment applications when they had signs "will work for food". Even hired a few of them who followed up on it, so while many are just looking for a freebie, some do really want a job.

On the other end of the spectrum, had a friend who's sister was a grifter. A pretty 20-something who used to dress up as a professional business person and go to downtown Chicago (they lived in suburbs) and start crying and when someone would come up to help her would tell a tale of how her purse was lost, wallet stolen, etc., and she'd have people giving her $20 for cabs, etc, would scam as much as $500 during rush hour sometimes! It's real hard to know who to trust when you meet people like that!
                  Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
                  Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by woeisme View Post
                    My SIL was a manager for Wendy's for years, used to hand out employment applications when they had signs "will work for food". Even hired a few of them who followed up on it, so while many are just looking for a freebie, some do really want a job.

On the other end of the spectrum, had a friend who's sister was a grifter. A pretty 20-something who used to dress up as a professional business person and go to downtown Chicago (they lived in suburbs) and start crying and when someone would come up to help her would tell a tale of how her purse was lost, wallet stolen, etc., and she'd have people giving her $20 for cabs, etc, would scam as much as $500 during rush hour sometimes! It's real hard to know who to trust when you meet people like that!

Wow! My dad used to joke around about the bums at the turnpike exits here saying he was going to stand there with a sign (like they do) and make some money. His theory was they made more money then a lot of people...now you just confirmed it with your story. $500 during rush hour in Chicago! What is rush hour - 3 hrs long? That's a lot more than I ever imagined. Amazing....
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X