What is frugal living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is frugal living?

Everyone has different a background so there are probably many definitions for frugal living? Should people be forced to live frugally before they file BK for non-medical disabilities?

Here is the way I live, is it frugal or not?

1. no garage
    2. no diswasher
    3. no pay-tv or cell phone until 45 years old.
    4. only drive inexpensive chevys(cavalier and S10).
    5. eat out twice a month at fast food or Bob Evans(< $10)
    6. buy most cloths at Goodwill

How do you live frugally?

God Bless America,

Living Frugally is more about what you do with what you have.

To Live Frugally you need to live below your means and save what you can.

So living frugally will vary widely depending on income.

The problem isn't bankruptcy itself the problem is credit. It was to easy to get and people abused it. That's what has led our nation to this crisis. Back in 2005 I urged my Senators and Representative to add amendments to the Bankruptcy Reform act limiting available credit to individuals and making lenders more responsible for checking income qualifications before lending money. Neither made it into the bill.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by sigferl View Post
      Everyone has different a background so there are probably many definitions for frugal living? Should people be forced to live frugally before they file BK for non-medical disabilities?

1. no garage
      2. no diswasher

God Bless America,
      This is an interesting exercise, as I can't seem able to sleep. As JRscott said the state of living frugally is different for everyone, and depends on everyone's' definition of frugal. I would add: their 'State of Being'. To whit, in the 'Cat' Household:

1. No garage -- garage came before 2004 hurricanes. It is an outbuilding and was never considered. Used for storage.

2. No dishwasher -- Right! I AM the dishwasher. Actually I never wanted one. I could not justify the cost of one for two people living in a house that never entertains.

3. No pay-tv or cell phone until 45 years old. *Heh* We are 65 and 56 and very stick-in-the-mud. We have Comcast because we must to have Internet. We could well do w/o cable TV but cannot split it off the Internet, so we have basic cable. As far as the cell phones? Boost Mobile, and I much prefer my Rotary Dial Cell Phone.

4. Only drive inexpensive chevys(cavalier and S10). How about a 1993 ex police car getting about 23 per gallon and a paid for 2004 VW Jetta Diesel that will burn spent peanut oil?

5. Eat out twice a month at fast food or Bob Evans(< $10) *Heh* I wish. It doesn't happen. If I can't make it out of what we purchase from Angelfoodministries.com, it usually will not happen. Understand I am not knocking Angelfood. We have been very satisfied. But we have not been to a restaurant in about six months.

6. Buy most cloths at Goodwill. Well, he means clothes!. But yes, I have been shopping at Goodwill or other thrift stores for most of our married life--about 22 years--and am actually annoyed when I saw that a woman's shirt went from $3.00 to $4.00. The same shirt in a retail store would probably be more than $60.00.

Besides that, I shop at the local curb. That means if it is put out on the curb for the trash man to pick up and I get there first, I get it. I will NOT go onto someone's yard; it has to be at the curb. We have gotten several serviceable tvs, microwave ovens, and vacuum cleaners that way.

Once a month the bag of aluminum cans goes into the scrappers. I was poo-pooed recently for doing that by being told "you are only going to get two or three bucks for that." To which I said: "It's two or three bucks I have in MY pocket, and not in the pockets of the scavengers at the landfill."

So, that is my start at living frugally. Any more suggestions? I am all ears and eyes!

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

This IS the DAY OF INFAMY September 11, 2001
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

God Bless America,
        sig...you seem to be soooo much for big business.....let me ask you...shouldnt general motors have had to give up much, much more before scamming the tax payers out of billions??...shouldnt aig have been forced to do much more cost cutting before getting taxpayers billions....shouldnt countless others on wall street that we gave aid to have been forced to cut top salaries much much more than they did....then how about the banks.....i didnt see ANY frugality in any of those mentioned....so WHY would any sane person even think of asking such a question of normal people that for one reason or another had some bad luck and were forced into bk???????? are you trying to make them feel bad...because they might not have cut back enough for you?????

Comment

Wow. Hats off to you folks.

Wife and I are in rags but make sure the kids are in best clothes, have the best of everything we can and the best opportunities. I'm trying to save pennies for a trip to FL for my stepdaughter in Feb for a cheer competition. That's important. I can look like a geek.

We haven't had to go to the lengths most folks have. I feel quite fortunate. Every time I feel like a loser for having to give up my house I'll read stuff like this from AngelinaCat and start crying. I've been such a jerk. Oh poor me and my freakin $300,000 house I couldn't afford anyway.

You guys are heroes.
          Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
          341 Meeting 09/09/09
          Discharged 11/12/09
          Closed 12/14/09

Comment

1. no garage
            2. no diswasher

God Bless America,
            1. IMO a garage is basically a place for storage and to keep the elements off your vehicle. People can live without them. Your car might live better in one.

I haven't had my car in a garage since 2003 but none of my places have had garages since then...

2. IMO, a dishwasher is not a necessity but it sure helps if you have a big family...just depends....been without DW since 2007, no great loss as I'm just one person...

3. Not having cable or a cell phone: IMO no cable isn't necessary, depends on your viewing habits. No cell phone could be a major hindrance in our world.

I personally love cable & wouldn't live without my cell phone.

4. Only drive inexpensive cars: another very personal choice; depends on how much repair work your inexpensive vehicle requires per year as well as your personal comfort & safety zone.

Currently driving a 2000 Toyota 4Runner that I bought in 2003 which has only required oil changes, brakes & a new set of tires since I purchased it six years ago. I paid $14K for it in 2003. Too me, that's cheap for reliability.

5. Only eat out twice a month: Fast Food/Bob Evans...same thing, IMO, if being frugal is important, you are blowing your $10 eating out like that; I wouldn't even bother eating out.

I like to eat out 2-4 times a month, however, after getting back into cooking & trying to go green/keep budget in line, I prefer to cook at home with my bf.

6. Buy most clothes at Goodwill. Excellent place to look for clothes & other things; also depends on who's donating to your local Goodwill, many are better than others. I noticed the Salvation Army has raised it's prices due to increased shoppers in re: to current economy. However, you never know what you're going to find in thrift shops & it's definitely worth it.

I'd rather spend the $ on good shoes for my feet than $100 jeans on my *ss. Feet need the support more than the *ss. Both the Goodwill, Sally & many other "used clothing" shops offer a great alternative to full price. We have a new store just opened up in our neighborhood that sells everything (brand new) for $10 or less unless marked otherwise. They buy in bulk & hand pick for store. Went in the other weekend & it was out of this world.

The frugal me would rather build up my retirement fund than wear it.
            Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
            Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

1. no garage

Not to worry. Not too many people have houses either. 80% live in apartment now.

2. no diswasher

No worry. People don't eat much, save water, so is... water-less and dish-less 4 option now.

Not worry too. Many sick & hungry people die BFORE turning 40+

Impossible!! Chevrolet/GMC/Ford dealers has now stopped producing cars and stay in their survival scrapping mode!

Impossible again!! ..With food prices keep increasing, there are no more $5-10coupons left to be found in newspaper to clip!

No worry... Few clothes are left to choose because of intense competition with local homeless shelters & unemployed ma & pa population..

I can not!!! (j/k)

Comment

Hmm before the bk or after?? lol My home is modest less than 1200 sq feet total. I do have a two car garage it lowers my cost of insurance and I need to store things some place since basements are non exist almost in MO. Our cars are both korean cheap as you can get with one even being a standard transmission. We have no children, but 2 dogs and cats all from the pound. My clothes I do sew some, buy some, and goodwill/garage sale too. Food we spend more on so we can eat healthy. I did a garden hoping to can but the beetles ate it because I could not afford the bug spray. We do have a dishwasher and I fill it and run one load to save on water. I didn't need it but cheap newer housing is hard to find without one. We bought newer because hubby is not a handy man and repairs are costly. I use coupons of course and double coupons work great. And I buy meat in a bulk and cut up the pieces. We eat out once a week, and use the places that send us a coupon too.

I am almost 60 and exhausted thinking about having to work full time and do all the things my mother and grandmother did when they got to stay home... geesh. We never really over spent on houses cars or clothes, so cutting back is hard.

Comment

Thanks for your post JR. I respectfully disagree. Just because walmart sells beer does not mean that I blame walmart if I am a drunk.

People need to take responsibility for their action and say no to credit. Why is it hard to say no to credit cards? Why is it hard to say no to spending?

Responsible people need credit, we need to punish those that abuse credit to deter further credit abuse.

Freedom is not free.

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                  Living Frugally is more about what you do with what you have.

To Live Frugally you need to live below your means and save what you can.

So living frugally will vary widely depending on income.

The problem isn't bankruptcy itself the problem is credit. It was to easy to get and people abused it. That's what has led our nation to this crisis. Back in 2005 I urged my Senators and Representative to add amendments to the Bankruptcy Reform act limiting available credit to individuals and making lenders more responsible for checking income qualifications before lending money. Neither made it into the bill.

Comment

Thanks for your post JR. I respectfully disagree. Just because walmart sells beer does not mean that I blame walmart if I am a drunk.

People need to take responsibility for their action and say no to credit. Why is it hard to say no to credit cards? Why is it hard to say no to spending?

Responsible people need credit, we need to punish those that abuse credit to deter further credit abuse.

Freedom is not free.
                    I would say that wasting valuable and costly electricity and internet bandwidth on trolling bankruptcy sites is not living "frugally"

Just my opinion....
                    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Thanks for your post mm. I respect you for taking all the frugal actions that you have and you have done a great job.

I would like to make a few points:

- 1200 sq feet house for two people seems large to me, I am used to about 800 sq feet for a modest 2 bedroom home.

- a husband/wife does not have to be handy if he can spend the time earning extra money with the time he saves by not having to remodel the house.

- a garden is usually a very good idea, even with the cost of bug spray that you may use for more that one year. If possible, share a garden with friends/family so that you can share in the work.

- pets are definitely a luxury items, no matter where you get them. When you are financiallly secure, have all the pets you want.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Originally posted by momisery View Post
                      Hmm before the bk or after?? lol My home is modest less than 1200 sq feet total. I do have a two car garage it lowers my cost of insurance and I need to store things some place since basements are non exist almost in MO. Our cars are both korean cheap as you can get with one even being a standard transmission. We have no children, but 2 dogs and cats all from the pound. My clothes I do sew some, buy some, and goodwill/garage sale too. Food we spend more on so we can eat healthy. I did a garden hoping to can but the beetles ate it because I could not afford the bug spray. We do have a dishwasher and I fill it and run one load to save on water. I didn't need it but cheap newer housing is hard to find without one. We bought newer because hubby is not a handy man and repairs are costly. I use coupons of course and double coupons work great. And I buy meat in a bulk and cut up the pieces. We eat out once a week, and use the places that send us a coupon too.

I am almost 60 and exhausted thinking about having to work full time and do all the things my mother and grandmother did when they got to stay home... geesh. We never really over spent on houses cars or clothes, so cutting back is hard.

Comment

Thanks for your post al. I will take your advice and cut back on my eating out to save $10 per month.

I do have a couple of points of disagreement:

- In my opinion, the toyota 4 runner is definietly a luxury item that you should sell immediately. My S10 was two years old when I bought it for $7,000 and now has over 100,000 miles with about $250 of maintenance. I saved $7,000 on the purchase price, and that buys a lot of mainenance.

- I think with good planning you will find that a cell phone is not worth the money unless your bill is very low.

God Bless America

Originally posted by AMISLANDER View Post
                        1. IMO a garage is basically a place for storage and to keep the elements off your vehicle. People can live without them. Your car might live better in one.

I haven't had my car in a garage since 2003 but none of my places have had garages since then...

2. IMO, a dishwasher is not a necessity but it sure helps if you have a big family...just depends....been without DW since 2007, no great loss as I'm just one person...

3. Not having cable or a cell phone: IMO no cable isn't necessary, depends on your viewing habits. No cell phone could be a major hindrance in our world.

I personally love cable & wouldn't live without my cell phone.

4. Only drive inexpensive cars: another very personal choice; depends on how much repair work your inexpensive vehicle requires per year as well as your personal comfort & safety zone.

Currently driving a 2000 Toyota 4Runner that I bought in 2003 which has only required oil changes, brakes & a new set of tires since I purchased it six years ago. I paid $14K for it in 2003. Too me, that's cheap for reliability.

5. Only eat out twice a month: Fast Food/Bob Evans...same thing, IMO, if being frugal is important, you are blowing your $10 eating out like that; I wouldn't even bother eating out.

I like to eat out 2-4 times a month, however, after getting back into cooking & trying to go green/keep budget in line, I prefer to cook at home with my bf.

6. Buy most clothes at Goodwill. Excellent place to look for clothes & other things; also depends on who's donating to your local Goodwill, many are better than others. I noticed the Salvation Army has raised it's prices due to increased shoppers in re: to current economy. However, you never know what you're going to find in thrift shops & it's definitely worth it.

I'd rather spend the $ on good shoes for my feet than $100 jeans on my *ss. Feet need the support more than the *ss. Both the Goodwill, Sally & many other "used clothing" shops offer a great alternative to full price. We have a new store just opened up in our neighborhood that sells everything (brand new) for $10 or less unless marked otherwise. They buy in bulk & hand pick for store. Went in the other weekend & it was out of this world.

The frugal me would rather build up my retirement fund than wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by junker View Post
                          sig...you seem to be soooo much for big business.....let me ask you...shouldnt general motors have had to give up much, much more before scamming the tax payers out of billions??...shouldnt aig have been forced to do much more cost cutting before getting taxpayers billions....shouldnt countless others on wall street that we gave aid to have been forced to cut top salaries much much more than they did....then how about the banks.....i didnt see ANY frugality in any of those mentioned....so WHY would any sane person even think of asking such a question of normal people that for one reason or another had some bad luck and were forced into bk???????? are you trying to make them feel bad...because they might not have cut back enough for you?????
                          I just came across this thread. Just also noted Mrs. up at 2:00 am responding to this thread.

I honestly cannot respond to this post. It does bother me. I see such hypocrisy within this post. NO, NOT BY THE POSTER, but by the recipients the poster mentioned.

It is my belief in that I cannot blame the economy on our mistakes (call them mostly mine), but now Mrs. cannot find anything and we are on UC, BUT why did our Government bail out anyone????? They did not bail us out. UC kept us from food stamps. I cannot work full time, and Mrs. cannot find anything here in our area. So WTF?

It is my opinion, that our printing presses are giving "gratuities" to those who "count" in this political situation. (if you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, if you teach him to fish he eats................) and etc.

Our Government is less than honest. Things coming out far worse than Nixon, or any other pres. We did not need "Health Care" emergency until the economy being destroyed now, and health care going COBRA, when we had jobs. Where the HELL are these shovel ready jobs?

The original idea of this thread was what are we doing to cope with our situation. I am doing it now. I am *****ing about what is causing a lot of our Country's problems.

P.S. BTW, we use no credit at all.

'Hub
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                            I would say that wasting valuable and costly electricity and internet bandwidth on trolling bankruptcy sites is not living "frugally"

Just my opinion....
                            B2S: Sigferl started a pretty good thread. Long lookers know he/she prefers a non-bk resolution, but in this case, I see nothing wrong with the posting and it was a very good emotion release. Only speaking for myself. 'Hub
                            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

6. Buy most clothes at Goodwill
                              I would add yard sales also(or tag sales ,or estate sales,whatever it's called in your area),found some abercombie school uniform shirt for $.50 for my son....would never buy those at full price or even half price in that store...
                              also clearance at Khols,found some tennis shoes for my 7 year old for $3,hubby found some sandals (sketchers) for $4...and let's not forget Target and the clearance,waiting for the 75 % off of school supplies,kiddies need new lunchboxes...
                              filed chap 7 pro se 09/15/09
                              341 meeting 10/19/09 continued
                              2nd 341 meeting 11/09/09 concluded
                              discharged : 12/21/09 closed :01/08/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X