Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swan Song For America?

Swan Song For America?

Welcome, my friends, to the American Nightmare. We live in the land of Greed and Hungry, a place our parents and grandparents would barely recognize. Certainly our forefathers would throw themselves back into the grave out of shame if not disgust. Truly, this is not the America I grew up in. Nor the America I hoped to pass onto my own children.

Our nation is on its heels, and about to exit the world stage, to join the other mediocre has-beens from history. Look out, France, Germany, England, Spain. You’re about to welcome America to the “meaningless rant from a former superpower” club. May we serve you well. We bring hamburgers and hot dogs as our contribution to continuing your mission of world abomination. Soon, our shattered masses will stand on the shores of defeat and agony, as we join the EU on the sidelines.

To the victors, China, India, the South American nations, and those wise enough to capture our spoils: Good luck. Another round of fiery young ones will one day put you down, too.

How did we arrive here? That, friends, is a very complicated question. There is the old favorite, NAFTA. But we can look beyond that and we encounter sloppy schools, Wall Street Greed, hometown greed, greedy credit cards, greedy consumers (unwilling to pay enough for a TV to employ the neighbor down the street). There are plenty of places to put the blame. And this includes you. And me.

I fear that our hunger for ever cheaper, but nicer, “things” has brought us to where we are. One day, I picture myself telling my grandchildren: You have not been able to succeed in life because your granny and I wanted that 50 inch plasma screen so much we put it on a credit card. However, we also wanted the BEST DEAL. So, we bought a model made in China. Nevermind that they are ALL made in China these days. That is a different, but connected, discussion.

Since the Wall Street bigwigs, and any company with an ounce of self-preservation, also knew this, they did what made sense for THEM. They moved their factories, and American jobs, to countries where they could work CHEAP.

And boy was it cheap.

Until now.

Now, it seems very expensive indeed. With unemployment approaching 1920’s depression-era levels, and no sign that anything will improve, we are only beginning to see the massive cost to us. And our children. And grandchildren.

My home is in foreclosure. There is a good chance yours is, too. If you are like me, you could give a damn. Don’t get me wrong, I loved this place. I had a lot of good memories here. The last few years, though, have been miserable. Medical and financial concerns have devastated us. The upside down housing market didn’t help. Recent figures suggest 14% of folks are in the same mess. Welcome to the boat, my friends. Too bad we forgot how to row together. I guess we’ll just drift on the current and hope for the best.

Washington and Wall Street remain un-phased. The indomitable American Spirit gets bandied about a fair amount these days. Don’t know about you, but I am tired. Maybe tired enough to throw in the towel and let the country crumble. Some experts say that is exactly what we SHOULD do. Who am I to disagree?

As I write this, foreclosures are the highest in history. My local area, Tampa Bay, Florida, has the highest number of bankruptcy filings in history. We did that, too. But it’s business as usual at Bank Of America and Wells Fargo. While we toss in the towel, they order 500 more, with designer nametags. The hundred million dollar salaries roll out like nothing happened. No, this is a hurricane for the poor and middle class. Wall Street and Washington have no reason to fear. Nor should they. The American people have been so snowballed by the so-called two-party system that most believe an honest debate is taking place. Reality is, one political party is twin to the other.

Meanwhile, the banks continue to manipulate the market. They control housing prices by holding millions of foreclosed properties back from sale. This is called “shadow inventory”. If they unleashed these millions of properties simultaneously, a house would drop in price to almost zero. They can only hold this shell game up for so long, though. It WILL crash. Louder than last fall.

At that point, I hope you have a plan for your family. Maybe a garden, some chickens, something to stave off the desperation. I know, I know. It sounded ridiculous to me, too. Right up until I found myself in this situation, and decided to learn a little about our country, and economics. The American Ponzi Scheme is about to fall.

But that’s okay. They will still have filet mignon behind the armed gates in the Hamptons and at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Good luck, my friends. I think we will need it aplenty.

Apologies if it seems a rant. I had to share my thoughts.
    Last edited by DeadManCrawling; 12-01-2009, 07:24 PM.
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Who quoted that rant ? Its bad, but not that bad..............yet.

Meatstick

Comment

Hey Meat,

I wrote that, no quoting anyone. Just something I had to share, and get off my chest. Terrible things are on the way, I think, and I also believe it is very nearly too late to change the future.

Good luck to you.
      3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Excellent dmc. You done good.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
          Hey Meat,

I wrote that, no quoting anyone. Just something I had to share, and get off my chest. Terrible things are on the way, I think, and I also believe it is very nearly too late to change the future.

Good luck to you.
          Congrats on your post it was very well thought out and put together.

As long as the American public continue to subscribe to this 2-party scam things will never change. I cannot count the amount of people that I know personally who think they are obligated to vote Dem/Rep because they want to vote for the winning party. The problem is nobody wins when we continue to keep those in office who do nothing but anal rape the rest of us. Tort reform, term limits, abuse of power, pork projects........ We could go on and on and it will never change because "We the people" are now "We the sheep".

Great post you put up my friend.

Meatstick

Comment

Meat,

you are right. When the differences between opposing political parties are determined, essentially, by minutiae, no one can win. Or make change.

Change we can believe in? I voted for the man, and still hold out a tiny sliver of hope, for my son, if nothing else. Unfortunately, I feel like I was given a choice of either "die now . . .or die quicker".

Not a pleasant voting choice.

Best,

-dmc
            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

One thing you said about the two party system hit home with my thoughts tonight. Obama sounded a lot like Bush tonight. MSNBC which I sometimes watch did not seem to love what he said. Obama is 4 more years of Bush and that is 8 more years of Clinton and congress is woven into the fabric of the Washingtion corruption. Wall Street owns Washington and the biggest fat cats already have homes in different countries and private jets. They live in a bubble. The way it has been since the begining of time. Pharaoh and peasants, kings and the Roman people, plantation owners and slaves.... They are walking a tight rope because the people will revolt if it gets bad enough.

Comment

Kansas1960,

I wish I could believe as you do. I DO believe your analysis of America in general. However, I am not optimistic enough to think a revolt is a real possibility. I feel that we have been so deceived by the political machines that people really think they make a difference if one party is elected over another.

As long as folks think they are voting for change, they are less likely to take real steps, or demand real answers of our current government. And I mean that for both parties.

I believe, in large part, Americans are as ignorant as what the rest of the world sees and uses for a stereotype.

God help us. No one else will, or even cares.
                Last edited by DeadManCrawling; 12-01-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: clarity
                3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManCrawling View Post
                  Kansas1960,

I wish I could believe as you do. I DO believe your analysis of America in general. However, I am not optimistic enough to think a revolt is a real possibility. I feel that we have been so deceived by the political machines that people really think they make a difference if one party is elected over another.

As long as folks think they are voting for change, they are less likely to take real steps, or demand real answers of our current government. And I mean that for both parties.

I believe, in large part, Americans are as ignorant as what the rest of the world sees and uses for a stereotype.

God help us. No one else will, or even cares.

....and that I condone with one big AMEN !!!

Comment

My two cents- Politicians nationwide have completely ignored the people who put them there. Once elected, PRIORITY ONE is to insure their own well-being (both financially and re-employment), priority two is help their fellow thieves ( i mean co-workers) so they will help you. Priority three is continue the same old arguments and complaints about the other party in power. Then, if there's any time left after the holidays,recesses,
                    lobbyists pay-offs(i mean, meetings) and re-election campaigns,to actually conduct the nations business. Have you EVER heard of a politician leaving office in poor financial condition?? Greed HAS taken over America, from all segments of society. What has changed so much in the last 50 yrs, that it now takes 2 incomes just to attempt to make a decent middle-class life?? Remember when one spouse worked a full-time job, while the other had the option of being home raising and PREPARING the kids for school, without relying on the teachers for what is a parents responsibility, without relying on c/c, heloc, and other extensions of credit, and having a much better quality of life than what's available now. Yes, consumers want it all now, and cheaper, without regard to quality, but manufacturers bear responsibility as well. Here's a novel idea- QUIT GIVING AID/LOANS TO EVERY COUNTRY THAT STICKS THEIR HAND OUT!!! We, the people of the United States, are the most charitable people in the world, however, let us decide who should get help when we need help ourselves. Lets use all the TAXPAYER money to fix ourselves first, and if there's anything left, THEN help the other countries that help us out. My personal analogy is this- I'll be happy to help pay your power bill, but I'll be d#$%^d if I'm going to sit in the dark to do it. Bloated government and politicians are the PROBLEM, not the solution. If these folks were in the private sector, they would all be fired for incompetence, fraud, theft, perjury, conspiracy, and don't even get me started on their personal indecretions. If we can't trust you to remain faithful to your marriage vows, how can we trust you with anything else?????

Comment

We don't have a two party system, it is a shell game. We have the rich and powerful and then us you know the "we the people". A vote for either party is a vote for some lobby group and huge business who chooses to conduct their business off shore with slave labor. My hope is they catch on and break up big business into smaller own businesses again and get back to inventing and creating in our own nation. Probably not until we fall totally though, because the top is not feeling the pain yet.

Comment

I suppose if all else fail get ready for a revolution? Probably won't come to it.
                        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Part of it is Americans consider themselves as civilized so we VOTE... but then we never have anyone worth voting for in our "two"??? PARTY SYSTEM..

Comment

DMC, I read your post, and I agree with some of it, and slightly dissagree with some of it. The banks are definitely holding back "shadow inventory" to keep housing prices from crashing, but at some point, the government will take over some of that inventory. Housing has not found its bottom yet because of this held back inventory. I do not think that this will lead to a total collapse of the housing market however. There will always be foreign and domestic investment buyers, first-home buyers that were former renters, and people downsizing their homes to more affordable homes and these types of buyers will keep the market from completely bottoming out. In cities where it gets really bad, and the supply outstrips demand too much, the banks and the government will take bulldozers to the houses to keep the supply down. This is happening in cities like Detroit right now.

The weak dollar will be a mixed blessing. It will lower our debt to foreign creditors like China but will also make imports such as oil costly. It will increase our exports which should help create a few jobs (but not many since we really don't have a manufacturing base in this country any more).

The stock market is completely divorced from fundamentals at this point and is being fueled by speculation for the most part. Think 1937 if you want a similar scenario. (or Japan circa 1998)

So, all in all, we are in for a diminished national standard of living, but it will not be a complete melt down in my opinion.
                            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

BTS,

I hope your point is closer to the mark than mine. Hard to believe we could look at your scenario as being optimistic. So many things are hard to believe.

You're right. Entire neighborhoods being razed. That will help the market in the long term, if enough are taken down. Lots of new green space in cities, if it is managed well.

I agree with your statement about a "diminished standard of living". I think the real question is HOW diminished? Again, hard to believe this is not only an accepted idea, but many people are coming to grips with it. Hard to believe this is America circa 2009-2010.
                              3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X