Need advice about car insurance...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice about car insurance...HELP!

My 18 year old son is currently on our policy. This more than doubles our rate. I really can't afford this, we are struggling to pay it. He is moving out to live with a friend. He will still be using my vehicle occasionally until he gets one of his own. Can I drop him off of my policy? He will use my vehicle about twice a week. The way I see it, I use my mom's car sometimes and I'm covered, so will he be? I don't want to ask my insurance agent because I don't think I'll get a straight answer. So what do you think?
    Thanks!

Update...I just called my insurance company and got the run around like I thought I would. I gave them the situation and they said I should keep him on the policy because it wouldn't be covered if he had an accident. So I said, well I borrow my mom's car sometimes, if I got in an accident would I be covered? She says, yes, if you have her permission to drive her car. So what's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
      Update...I just called my insurance company and got the run around like I thought I would. I gave them the situation and they said I should keep him on the policy because it wouldn't be covered if he had an accident. So I said, well I borrow my mom's car sometimes, if I got in an accident would I be covered? She says, yes, if you have her permission to drive her car. So what's the difference?
      The biggest issue here is his age, you might have heard this before but the most expensive drive to insure is male, 18-25.

I went through the same thing with an xboyfriend years ago; I don't believe someone's covered unless their name is on the policy. You'll really find out when there's an accident, personally, he needs to get his own insurance.
      Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
      Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

I covered my son under my car insurance because he was a student ... until age 23 I think. It was way too expensive for him to have his own policy, but the cost to him under mine was affordable for him. So he reimbursed me the difference to carry him, when he could. When he had financial troubles, I let just paid it and didn't worry about it. It was worth it for me to know that he was not driving without insurance. The difference is, he had his own car, he wasn't driving mine.

Comment

Most important information to find out is whether the policy covers only "named insureds" or is a "permissive use" policy.

Some companies only cover the people driving whose name are actually listed on the policy. I am with State Farm and they are permissive use. As long as the person has a valid drivers license and my permission they are covered the same as I am.

Comment

A lot of companies require you to insure everyone in your home over driving age. If you take them off, you have to sign an affidavit saying they don't live there and have no access to your car.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X