How 'handy' have you gotten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How 'handy' have you gotten?

Since I've realized we can't afford much I've been cutting back on repair men and doing some things on my own. Thanks to the internet I feel confident I can fix just about anything!

So far this year I've fixed the snow-blower, lawnmower, rototiller, and dishwasher on my own. I also have 2 new repairs that are going to be made soon a washing machine coupler and the baking element in my oven (I'm a little nervous about doing the oven).

Is anyone else realizing they can fix almost anything around the house with a little elbow grease, an internet connection and $30?
    Still learning all of this, but glad I've found this site! Thank you all for your advice and patience!

I have learned the hard way that anytime I try to fix something any more complicated than jump-starting a car, I end up screwing things up to such an extent that it costs twice as much to correct the mess and fix the original problem. So I bite the bullet and call the pros.

Last time I got my hands on a wrench I broke this big ass natural gas line. I had to sit out there in the sun about 3 hours with my hand over the break so I wouldn't have this gas spewing out and burn down the neighborhood until the repair guys got there. Mosquitos seem to know when you don't have a free hand and will definitely take advantage of the situation. It was not fun. Then there was the time with the main drum seal on a washing machine. Thank God for that floor drain in the laundry room.

But it's a good skill to have. The businesses I see doing really well now are the ones that make things last longer -- shoe repair, appliance repair, mechanics -- they are all doing well.
    Last edited by MSbklawyer; 07-25-2010, 06:46 PM.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Hi. Well, the Internet helped with my Honda, but I would have to say, the Internet, sometimes more than $30, and a couple of books.

I have the new editions, but I prefer the ones below:

Yes, my 1999 Honda Accord was shutting off while driving. I found out that there was a recall on ignition switches but for some reason, the EX model was not covered.

So, for less than $100, I replaced the ignition switch.

The central air unit had some problems, and by taking off the side panels, I was able to fix it.

Same for some plumbing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
        I have learned the hard way that anytime I try to fix something any more complicated than jump-starting a car, I end up screwing things up to such an extent that it costs twice as much to correct the mess and fix the original problem. So I bite the bullet and call the pros.

Last time I got my hands on a wrench I broke this big natural gas line. I had to sit out there in the sun about 3 hours with my hand over the break so I wouldn't have this gas spewing out and burn down the neighborhood until the repair guys got there. Mosquitos seem to know when you don't have a free hand and will definitely take advantage of the situation.

But it's a good skill to have. The businesses I see doing really well now are the ones that make things last longer -- shoe repair, appliance repair, mechanics -- they are all doing well.
        LOL This is great! Oh, and mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide. ;)
        Still learning all of this, but glad I've found this site! Thank you all for your advice and patience!

Comment

I have both of these Xue and they are also very helpful!

Comment

I believe the internet is partly to blame for the recession. I've fixed many things with the internet. I don't even take my car to the mechanic. The economy isn't bad folks, saving money is destroying the economy. We are the the cause.
            Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Yes Sirs & Mams, Let The D-I-Y World Rules!!!

Comment

DIY... We've been DIY'ers for years on end - and are pretty great at it, but boy there are days when we wish we could afford to just hire someone so the house isnt a wreck for weeks (or months) on end. Here I thought renovating sucked when we had the $ to do it - but it's really gonna suck now that we're in Ch. 13 for 5 years

Thank god hubby knows autos, home construction, plumbing and electric! WHEW!

Absolutely think DIY Channel's Renovation Realities is a hoot! Sometimes... I wonder where those people's brains are?!

Comment

It depends on what needs to be done. The basement stairs, I called a handyman to rebuild. Fortunately, he's very reasonable. The porch steps that were rotting and not safe anymore, I did myself. It doesn't look like a professional job (due to the previous owner not really doing the front porch the correct way, there is no way for it to look professional with the use of a saw), but it's safe now. I do all painting. But I will call someone to fix any gutters that blew off in a storm (the same handyman that did my basement stairs). No way am I getting on a ladder and attempting to do something that I don't know how to do.

Now, since I am not keeping the house, I do nothing. Obviously, if there is a repair that needs to be done for safety reasons or storm damage, I will do so. But other than that, nothing.

Comment

I'll admit, I'm calling around for prices for fixing my oven and we have a water heater that is leaking at the top that I legally cannot replace on my own so that will be $850 to replace just so it's legal. Basically I'm nervous to fix/mess with anything that can go BOOM!

I had to fix the coffee maker this morning since it just leaked water all over the counter top. Apparently it's got tubes that pump the water down around the hot plate and up through the coffee basket and one of the tubes by the hot plate disconnected. That was a fun mess, but at least I have coffee again!

As for ruining the economy by learning to be just a little more self reliant well, no that's not quite right in my book. I think the fall of our economy started when we stopped making things in this country.

I watched one home show (not sure if it was DIY) where this guy decided to redo his basement by tacking the plywood directly to the concrete walls lol. I do love Holmes on Homes though that is an eye opener indeed!

Comment

We called the satellite company the other day to disconnect one of the boxes to save us $20 a month. Well, they were going to charge us $100 to come out there and reconnect the cable lines in the box correctly, so that the TV in the secondary room could still be used. Told them to forget it - just turn off that service, and we wouldn't use the secondary TV. My husband, after thinking about it, got on the internet, figured out what to do -- it seriously involved unscrewing three cables and reconnecting one somewhere else -- took him about 5 minutes total, if you include the time he spent on the internet. $100 -- really, can't believe we might have paid that previously!!
                      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by HMT View Post

..... I do love Holmes on Homes though that is an eye opener indeed!

Thats a great show - love to watch his expressions when the contractors didnt do things per code and just half-assed things . I'd LOVE to have him come to our house and re-do everything (our house is over 140 years old) *sighs* Dont think he goes out of Canada however.

Comment

I joined online forums for each of my 3 vehicles (11, 12, and 16 years old). These forums have taught me so much about car repairs. Other than yearly inspections, I do all the maintenance and repairs myself. I still cant do tires or alignments. There are some things only the pros can do.

Comment

I have found that I am certifiably handicapped when it comes to fixing thing! It's like the part of the brain that enables one to be handy...well, it never developed in me, lol!

But, good ol' duct tape and super glue can quickly become your best friends!
                            Filed Chapter 7, Pro Se: 12/23/2010
                            341 Meeting: 01/26/2011
                            Discharged: 03/29/2011

Comment

I totally astonished myself with the things I have done. Bought a fixer-upper (on purpose - Why, oh Why did I do that?) and have put in new insullation and drywall, turned one useless hallway into a shelf for dry goods on one side and a coat closet on the other. Put in a wall divider with mirrors behind it to lighten the living room(this then became the backdrop for the dry goods closet) and have done so much with this place.

Once I realized I couldn't keep it, I quit. Drywall still needs sanding and painting but it is nice and warm now. Sigh. Lowered my utility bills from 300 month to 75 month just by replacing the tarpaper insullation with 'real' R19 and the correct drywall. House was built in 1923 and for some reason, no one thought that maybe the insullation was out of date. At least it wasn't just newspaper but tarpaper.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X