New Computer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I used to slap 'em together and think nothing of it. The last time i bought computers from a retailer was in 1999. I bought two Compaq Presario AMD systems, one for general use and one for my kids plus I had my own which I had built and over the years we kept the AMD's and built even more personal towers for me and discarded, upgraded, you know.

Well, last week we dumped our last old Compaq from 1999 on the neighbors youngest along with all the elementary school stuff and i got the two youngest another Compaq with an AMD Sempron. It has all the new drive slots (no floppy's etc... like the HP). It's excellent for what they need it for and even the new graphics intensive Starship Troopers game Demo runs perfect on it.

So, Christmas i buy no.1 son a new HP system from tigerdirect. Very nice, never had a Celeron, built two pentiums over the years. One a Pentium 100 and the other a P4 1.6 gig. Then, dump the P4 last year, went over to AMD Athlon (XP) again with an ASUS board, very nice, no problems. Never liked Intel stuff, just quirky to me, same reason some people like Ford Trucks and I like Chevy/GMC, just preference. Well, thursday decided to stick in my newer AMD Athlon XP 2800 (in the factory box still) and low and behold DOA! I think i had a little static discharge while working and blew the board. Put back the old processor and yep, everything still dead. Well, out comes the cell phone, tell the wife, I want a new system. Reply, we need it, go ahead, just don't buy junk (always her motto). So, decided not to rescue one thing except my new power supply and had fun taking a sledge hammer to it and busting the keyboard over my knee.

Looked online, saw a really nice Emachine, went to Compusa, nah, just can't buy an emachine, once again MAYBE a ford/Chevy preferrence. Well, bought another Compaq with AMD Athlon 64 3500, ATI Graphics, one gig of ram, DVD burner with lightscribe which is what i had before. The new drives come in handy for the camera and all and those little USB drives are super handy. As you may have guessed though I've already ordered that ATI X300SE 256 meg card. It got excellent reviews in everything I've read as good quality low priced card for gaming, no it won't run DOOM with say sixteen players but it'll never have to.

But darn, I love this thing! And say what you will about Compaq but in over six years of REAL abuse those old Compaqs were trouble free. OOOOOH... and tossed all those massive 1999 Monitors (the kids still have the regular style flat screens, but new). But I got ME a 19 inch LCD that wieghs about 6 pounds at most. just had to tell you guys, it feels so good! And yes, it was all cash.
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Building your own computer is always cheaper than buying a 'brand name'. But sounds good you should have fun with it.

Comment

I never found build your own cheaper in any way. In fact it costs more because of the bundling that's done with with the brand names.

New tower, power supply, quality processor and board 400.00 even at marketpro shows. quality video card (unless you like the integrated but it's usually less memory). 79.00 - 150.00. Good sound card 60.00. Key board, mouse add 40.00. one gig ram added 80.00. Good DVD/CD Burner 80.00. extra drive bays (flash, smart, etc...) unsure maybe 60.00?

So, maybe 700.00 plus an OS add 130.00 for an OEM, 830.00. Add the LCD monitor 229.00 - 300.00. up to maybe 930.00 or lets say 900.00 with any incidentals. Add any software, it goes up.

All together for all three I paid 1831.00 with S&H on one and this includes tax which i did not add to the above so whack 40.00 S&H and 135.00 in taxes thats 175.00 so that downs it to 1656.00 actual divided by three is $552.00 apiece including one 19" LCD monitor and one regular 17" flat screen CRT. Added to that LOL I'm getting to old for tower hassles, rather be fishing or running through the woods with my kids playing Stargate! LOL
      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Comment

One of my goals at age 65 was to build my own computer. I had to buy the book, Build Your Computer For Dummies. I built it and is still running strong . It is a P3 1GHZ with a few upgraded video cards. I ended up with a ATI 8500 128mb. I just finished playing Call of Duty and not a hitch. Oh, by the way that was 6 years ago. Now I find that my family asks me to fix their machines.

Comment

That is great. I remember an elderly co-worker at Sears who was taking computer courses for repair. I think you live longer when you still absorb new things.

Comment

I'm saying if I build a computer that costs 1500 thru dell, I can spend that same 1500 dollars and make an even better computer with better parts. Done it many times.

Towers aren't that expensive, until you get into the really fancy looking ones.

Again, according to what kind of computer you are going to look for, such as Gaming, Office, Personal etc. I can guarantee you though building is much cheaper than buying. Just my opinion.

Not saying Dell's are bad. Or compaqs or any other just the fact of the matter

Comment

For gaming, probably best to build your own, agreed on that. I've never had a brand name on my desk until two days ago, always my own. In truth I agree with one main aspect, you'll get beefier parts, ABSOLUTELY. And i think when you get over 2.8 gig that the price climbs rapidly. it may be an issue of conductivity, maybe different conductors are used or whatever, more cooling, etc... I'll agree that if you are going to pop $1500.00 for a tower, build it instead, that kind of money will build a kick-ass system. Basically, I no longer have my old business so my needs are not what they were. In my case and for what i could do cashwise I'm satisfied but i do realize that even spending that amount I would have built a beefier system and i know that in three years I'll likely replace this one.

Comment

Well I can say one thing for sure, don't buy gateways they are total garbage, I had to buy 2 of them to learn it good and hard. I am now looking at an emachines at walmart for 500$. Just something cheap to surf the web.

Comment

Never built one but would love to try it

Comment

Senior, I think that in lower priced cards ATI is always the best bet. I have never had trouble with their products and have bought alot of their cards. For sound, I stick with Creative but have not bought any for awhile.

But Graph, you gotta take into account. I'm supporting, driving around, dealing with orchestra, boxing, other school events, church, working seven days a week for nearly two years (I do take off once in awhile and for vacation), with three teens and six billion different issues at once, I don't have the time for it anymore. I like Brooks Brothers and Armani but they gotta' be tailored and retailored. "Off the rack at JC Pennies" saves me alot of time! LOL!

if God grants me the good health and life at retirement I'll go back to the build my own days. But with family and all if it isn't tied to a new business I don't have the time to invest in it as it will pull away from the time I can be with family. In my own stolen moments I am in this forum.
                    Last edited by robivi3; 03-06-2006, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I understand ;) Luckily I don't have anyone to support yet.

Comment

Out in my ATI X300SE 256 meg video card yesreday. All running lovely. Not a high end card, I know but for what i do man this system is working beautifully. And plays Starship Troopers without a hitch. yes, some settings have to be lowered, it's not a "gamer".

Comment

I got an emachines T6524 for christmas from my mother in law- its soooo wicked, I love it. It has 1gb of ram, 200 gb of hard drive space, its so nice, dvd and cd burner, double layer drives and we got such a great deal opn it. I have owned gateway and dells before, and the emachine I bought for $150.00 at circuit city in 1999 lasted longer! YOu cant got wrong with an emachine, I swear by them.

Comment

Comment about the E-Machines,

Yes, they are good machines for the value...... excellent quality and highly efficient....
                            Excellent pc for college students, etc.....

I don't like and won't buy Gateway or Dell...... constantly need repairs...

Previous pc's have been Packard Bell (old - 1998), IBM (REAL OLD-1985).... now use Compaq and Lexmark printers.
                            Last edited by Minnymouth; 03-13-2006, 07:36 AM.
                            Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

If your looking for a pc just to surf or play games any good HP or E-machine from Wallmart.

Now if you into heavy duty drafting, photography, graphics, movie making you have to upgrade to stronger machines with more power and bigger hard drives... They will cost a little more (about a $1000 more) but well worth the money...
                              Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X