Need a new computer........help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new computer........help!

Ok all you computer whizes out there my Sony Vaio of 9 years finally went out on me. Not worth fixing. Need a replacement tower only. Don't need bells and whistles or a ton of memory. Suggestions? Remember I am in a 13bk and on a limited (very limited) budget. Thanks
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

e-machines or Acer

Comment

If your area is anything like mine, we have hometown computer sales & repair stores. You can normally buy a couple of year old computer for $100 or so. It's worth a look if money is really tight.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Yep, usually smaller tech support firms can get you a refurbished PC for cheap.

Comment

What makes you think it isn't worth fixing? Do you know what is wrong with it? Can you afford to send it out? Can you trust others? My son is autistic, but a very very good computer tech. He is certified through Comp TIA. If you want to try saving it and save yourself some money, message me and I can have you send it to us, have him fix it and send it back.
          My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

The computer is 9 years old. If it is a hardware issue, the odds of being able to get compatible parts is slim depending on the nature of the issue, and would need to practically create a new system anyway.

He can probably get a refurbished PC that is 10 times faster than his current one for well under $300. In my experience, when I have tried to salvage older machines, as I replace one part; then another needs to be replaced creating a cascade of upgrades needed. It is usually easier and cheaper to buy a current model PC.
            Last edited by HHM; 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

e-machines or compaq only if you want a computer that will likely break in 3 or 4 years. Otherwise you can get HP and other quality brands that will likely last much longer. I had e-machine and compaq and both died in a few years (others I know and repair places told me the same thing).

Comment

We just saved an old computer for another friend about 8 months ago. It was just as old and he was able to use parts that he has right now. People give him old computers and he uses parts to build new ones for people that can not afford them any other way. Sometimes they are easy fixes, sometimes not. The point is, 300 dollars is a lot of money when you are on a tight budget... especially in Chapter 13. I was just putting it out there. But hey, if one wants to just buy one.... then by all means

Good Luck Andy
                My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

craigslist! Lots of folks sell decent used computers when they go out and splurge on the newest latest greatest thing.
                  Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                  New Job 7-2011

Comment

When mine died I went to the computer place that had originally sold it to me 4 yrs before (refurbished) and got this one for 150. It's not the fastest in town but does what I need it to do. Didn't break the bank and I trust them, after all, the other one - which I paid 199 for, lasted 4 years.

Comment

VAIO got no match . . . !!!
                      but if you havent use macintosh once , you really do use it .

Comment

Andy158: I have built over 1000 computers when I was Consulting. 40 years in minis and mainframes. Mrs. and I pick up many at our local landfill. Mostly the memory is robbed and the hard drive is gone. Many just work when plugged in. Most work once memory is reinstalled with a hard drive. Configuring a hard drive with a new system is not for a newbie though, and the bios may not recognize your old hard drive. I will PM you with a suggested solution. 'Hub
                        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Do you have children? Our children's school sent an email out a few weeks ago stating they were updating their computers and had a bunch to give away to needy families.

Also you can check goodwill and pawnstores.
                          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                            Andy158: I have built over 1000 computers when I was Consulting. 40 years in minis and mainframes. Mrs. and I pick up many at our local landfill. Mostly the memory is robbed and the hard drive is gone. Many just work when plugged in. Most work once memory is reinstalled with a hard drive. Configuring a hard drive with a new system is not for a newbie though, and the bios may not recognize your old hard drive. I will PM you with a suggested solution. 'Hub
                            Got your pm and appreciate your response. I had an HP unit that the mother board went bad in and I understand the bios compatability. I had to purchase a mother board from HP that was tatooed for their system. I figure the Sony would have similar issues if I replace the hard drive with a generic one. Looking at a local computer shop that has an Acer unit for under $250 with new guts.

Mine will not even restore with the hard restore disks. Gives me all kinds of weird messages and keeps telling me to keep inserting the disks.
                            Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Recently bought a used emachine on Craigslist for $75 and added $20 worth of memory. System is almost 3ghz processor speed with a 1 gig of ram, 150 gig HD, added a $50 used dell flat panel monitor and have a rocking system for $150 smackers which is 3 times faster than my 8 year old system. ....if I have more money in the future I will get a Mac tho. Just to not have to constantly deal with Malware/viruses etc.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X