Calls from Job Boards About Going Back to School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calls from Job Boards About Going Back to School

And you wonder why job seekers rant and scream so much on this board. We try hard to get jobs, including signing up on job boards such as careerbuilder, monster, etc. Now I am getting a dozen calls a day from, get this, two companies trying to get me to go back to school to earn a degree. I have called them and demanded they take me off their call list. This is just the ultimate insult as I recently earned my degree and it has done absolutely nothing to further my career.

I also get calls from people claiming to be recruiters, only to try to sell me a resume building or distribution service, or to work on a commission only basis selling some stupid insurance or theft protection service. Each call sucks more minutes off my cell phone plan and wastes valuable job searching time, as well as getting your hopes up that a job is calling, only to let me down again.

When money$ is tight... scamming people will try to suck other people's blood money$ off their back.. un-noticed...till they dry....LOL

Btw, the marketing companies sell their cell lists to these people.

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
      When money$ is tight... scamming people will try to suck other people's blood money$ off their back.. un-noticed...till they dry....LOL

Btw, the marketing companies sell their cell lists to these people.
      Agreed BKOnce. It just frustrates the hell out of me. I have to quickly pre-qualify these dirtbags and some take a few minutes of my personal and cell minute time.

I am also seeing a pattern of recruiters not actively going out and representing the candidates, but just waiting for a company to post a job and then simply forwarding that to their database. I remember when good recruiters would work with the candidate and the client to compromise (e.g. the Purple Squirrel - if a candidate was missing one skillset, but had the other 10, they could work with the client. Or if the client didn't offer something the candidate wanted, perhaps they could work something there as well).

Comment

Talk to your Chaplain, Healthcare Provider, or (if you feel you and your spouse are being discriminated against) your EO Rep. You better have specific examples.

Comment

I would suggest not posting your resume/ information for everyone to see on a job board. I've never met a company that actively searched job boards for candidates. It's time consuming and I waste of time, IMO. I've done hiring for three companies now and worked with corporate recuiters...none of them look at resumes posted on job boards. Submitting a resume and cover letter directly to the company is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
            And you wonder why job seekers rant and scream so much on this board. We try hard to get jobs, including signing up on job boards such as careerbuilder, monster, etc. Now I am getting a dozen calls a day from, get this, two companies trying to get me to go back to school to earn a degree. I have called them and demanded they take me off their call list. This is just the ultimate insult as I recently earned my degree and it has done absolutely nothing to further my career.

I also get calls from people claiming to be recruiters, only to try to sell me a resume building or distribution service, or to work on a commission only basis selling some stupid insurance or theft protection service. Each call sucks more minutes off my cell phone plan and wastes valuable job searching time, as well as getting your hopes up that a job is calling, only to let me down again.
            The good old days seem to be gone, when you could get degree and be set.

School is over-priced also.

I would look into nursing or police work. These are in demand, and seem to be stable careers. Teaching is also good. And if you go back to school, do it as cheap as possible. I was fortunate to go to a great school, but the cost was not too bad. I would never go to that same school, with the current price and with the lack of work in this economy.

Also, trade schools are good, for mechanic, electrician, plumbing, etc. There are jobs, but you have to be willing to make changes.

Stay out of debt and don't overpay for anything, and you will do fine. Its sad but true that education is over-valued.

Comment

You have done nothing wrong. I think you should explain to her, when you are able, the situation you had wherein you were specifically asked NOT to call the pastor.
              [Advertising links removed by Moderator. Please see Forum rules.]

Comment

Originally posted by papie View Post
                I would suggest not posting your resume/ information for everyone to see on a job board. I've never met a company that actively searched job boards for candidates. It's time consuming and I waste of time, IMO. I've done hiring for three companies now and worked with corporate recuiters...none of them look at resumes posted on job boards. Submitting a resume and cover letter directly to the company is the best option.
                I agree papie. I have never received a call that I can remember from a resume I had posted on a job board. However, having a resume posted on the major job boards is useful when applying to a job through that job board. I could always remove the visibility feature.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X