top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a recent large employment gap on their resume?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a recent large employment gap on their resume?

I am curious if this may be one of the reasons why I am not being contacted. I did go back to school full time the last couple years to complete my degree. But I am curious if the employers are simply looking at the last employment period and not paying attention to going back to school for the degree.

Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to convince an employer to hire you or at least look at your resume and call you for an interview?

I, on purpose, took a temp data entry position so I would have something new on my resume. I hadn't worked in a year and did feel that was looked at derogatorily. Today I got an email for a telephone interview - the first time I have been asked since the temp job ended. So I don't know if it was the recent job or the fact that it was data entry and that is what I had been doing. They only pay 11.50 an hour - YIKES! After making almost 19 an hour, that hurts, but, at this point a job is a job. I don't know how it will go as what has happened in the past (before the temp position) is that people look at my age and, for some reason (yeah), pick someone more suitable.

But, sticking it out doing data entry may have helped fill that gap. I know it is the first time I've been called for an interview in a long, long time.

Comment

helpme?

Have you tried using a functional resume rather than a chronological one? That seems to help some folks.
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

That's true - I also changed my resume. That may be helping.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
          helpme?

Have you tried using a functional resume rather than a chronological one? That seems to help some folks.
          My resume is a chronological one. Functional? How does that work? I currently start my resume with my skillsets listed, followed by my recent degree, followed by a chronological listing of job history, and at the very end a list of charities and stuff like that.

I have changed my resume and cover letters several times, especially since getting some feedback from staffing companies.

Comment

Getting feedback is good, but sometimes companies will give you tips that may work for their organization but not necessarily the next one you send your resume to. Sometimes it can be hard to sort through everything and if you try to please everyone, well, you'll end up pleasing no one.

Functional resumes can work, but make sure to research the company first. The problem with these types of resumes is that they're often viewed with more skepticism because so many people use them to gloss over gaps in employment or having "too many" jobs in a short period of time. Also, sometimes the screening software will reject a resume if it doesn't have dates of employment so you might want to follow up with your submissions to make sure your app went through.
            OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Ooooh... this is an area I know about very well and will share what I know to work / not to work

Why not do a resume that is a combination of chronological, functional, and targeted? I used to do professional resumes for other people as well as family members. Here are my tips for writing a great resume!

TIPS:

SESAME STREET OR SHAKESPEARE: When you're writing this type of resume (or any type really), its important to really read the application, know the job you're applying for and the duties, then write based on the position you're applying for, weaving all of your past experience into it. Ask for an actual job description from the employer that pertains to the position you are applying for; you can glean, rephrase, and rework it into your resume (no..do not copy word for word, adjust according to your qualifications) - this works well if you're not a great writer. Also, look at other resume examples online for the same type of position you are applying for to get a better understanding of the best way to market yourself (there are many examples online for reference).

COVER YOURSELF! You wouldnt walk around naked in public would you? (well..some of you on the BK forum might... *shifty eyes* LOL!) Write a cover letter - its the very first thing that will stand out from every other application / resume received.

HERE COMES THE TRAIN! Writing a resume isnt hard - however when you're trying to "toot your own horn" - some things you write may come off as egotistical to others. Make sure to have someone else go through it with you, making recommendations and corrections as needed and be prepared for criticism on a constructive level. After all, if your friend / family member is telling you "hey - you sound like Adonis here!" then chances are... you've tooted a little too hard and need to tone it down a bit.

PAUL BUNYUN'S ALIVE AND KICKIN': No fibbing, no white lies, no tall tales - everything you write on your resume you'd better be able to back up with hard facts. If you think HR / interviewer isnt going to question your abilities & past experience - think again!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Write down all questions that would / may be asked in an interview, including the dreaded ones of

"why should we hire you?"
              "what makes you the best qualified candidate for this position?"
              "what would you bring to the table?"
              "what are your strengths / weaknesses"
              "what is your best / worst feature?" (and no...we arent talking about how your backside looks in jeans LOL)
              "tell us about yourself" (this doesnt mean that you're married, have a dog, 2 kids etc....)

.... the list goes on and on. There are some doozy's out there for interview questions - again, if you dont know which ones to write down, you can look online.

SMILE! YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA! Now - with all ?'s written down, cut them up and toss them into a bag. Have SEVERAL DIFFERENT people ask you independently as well as in a group setting - Why a group round-table setting? Because in today's world, many interviews are done by panel and the more people that can ask you, the better you'll be. Have each person randomly pulling out a question and record the session on a video camera. You'll be surprised at how many "Uhms... Like's..and silent pauses" come into play when you dont realize it. Also your facial expressions and body language tells a ton about you. If you're the type that gets nervous (who doesnt?) and looks at the ground, the sky, past the person interviewing you at the wall behind them, etc etc etc.. be forewarned - they will take notice.

CONFIDENCE IS KEY: Be confident in yourself and your abilities! Try not to nervous giggle or say "Sorry, I'm nervous"... that says you're not confident. Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact.

YOU CAN DO WHAT?! Know what programs and equipment you can use / do use on a daily basis. Just saying "I can type, use a xerox machine, use a computer, and general office equipment" wont cut it - list what you're abilities are. If you're "half ass" at using Excel, dont say you have an "excellent understanding / knowledge / concept" of it if you've only played with it a few times.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT! Write a follow-up letter, thanking Mr./Mrs. So and So for taking the time to interview you on XX day for the XXXX position.

KNOW YOUR RESUME! This has to be the Number 1 mistake people make; they do not know whats on their resume in detail and when asked about something on it and to provide an example / do an exercise, people blank out - dont do that! (FWIW, yes some employers administer a written "test" at interviews, ensuring you can do what you say you can. My hubby has had to do a lab result using calculations at every interview he's ever been on). If for example, you were in finance and were responsible for Aquisitions and Purchases with a yearly budget of $3M for 3 accounts/contracts, then you'd better be able to say what you did in that aspect and know what your job entailed fully.

These are just some of my things that I tell people when they ask me for help with their resume.

Feel free to add to the list your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                Ooooh... this is an area I know about very well and will share what I know to work / not to work

Why not do a resume that is a combination of chronological, functional, and targeted? I used to do professional resumes for other people as well as family members. Here are my tips for writing a great resume!

TIPS:

SESAME STREET OR SHAKESPEARE: When you're writing this type of resume (or any type really), its important to really read the application, know the job you're applying for and the duties, then write based on the position you're applying for, weaving all of your past experience into it. Ask for an actual job description from the employer that pertains to the position you are applying for; you can glean, rephrase, and rework it into your resume (no..do not copy word for word, adjust according to your qualifications) - this works well if you're not a great writer. Also, look at other resume examples online for the same type of position you are applying for to get a better understanding of the best way to market yourself (there are many examples online for reference).

COVER YOURSELF! You wouldnt walk around naked in public would you? (well..some of you on the BK forum might... *shifty eyes* LOL!) Write a cover letter - its the very first thing that will stand out from every other application / resume received.

HERE COMES THE TRAIN! Writing a resume isnt hard - however when you're trying to "toot your own horn" - some things you write may come off as egotistical to others. Make sure to have someone else go through it with you, making recommendations and corrections as needed and be prepared for criticism on a constructive level. After all, if your friend / family member is telling you "hey - you sound like Adonis here!" then chances are... you've tooted a little too hard and need to tone it down a bit.

PAUL BUNYUN'S ALIVE AND KICKIN': No fibbing, no white lies, no tall tales - everything you write on your resume you'd better be able to back up with hard facts. If you think HR / interviewer isnt going to question your abilities & past experience - think again!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Write down all questions that would / may be asked in an interview, including the dreaded ones of

"why should we hire you?"
                "what makes you the best qualified candidate for this position?"
                "what would you bring to the table?"
                "what are your strengths / weaknesses"
                "what is your best / worst feature?" (and no...we arent talking about how your backside looks in jeans LOL)
                "tell us about yourself" (this doesnt mean that you're married, have a dog, 2 kids etc....)

.... the list goes on and on. There are some doozy's out there for interview questions - again, if you dont know which ones to write down, you can look online.

SMILE! YOU'RE ON CANDID CAMERA! Now - with all ?'s written down, cut them up and toss them into a bag. Have SEVERAL DIFFERENT people ask you independently as well as in a group setting - Why a group round-table setting? Because in today's world, many interviews are done by panel and the more people that can ask you, the better you'll be. Have each person randomly pulling out a question and record the session on a video camera. You'll be surprised at how many "Uhms... Like's..and silent pauses" come into play when you dont realize it. Also your facial expressions and body language tells a ton about you. If you're the type that gets nervous (who doesnt?) and looks at the ground, the sky, past the person interviewing you at the wall behind them, etc etc etc.. be forewarned - they will take notice.

CONFIDENCE IS KEY: Be confident in yourself and your abilities! Try not to nervous giggle or say "Sorry, I'm nervous"... that says you're not confident. Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact.

YOU CAN DO WHAT?! Know what programs and equipment you can use / do use on a daily basis. Just saying "I can type, use a xerox machine, use a computer, and general office equipment" wont cut it - list what you're abilities are. If you're "half ass" at using Excel, dont say you have an "excellent understanding / knowledge / concept" of it if you've only played with it a few times.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT! Write a follow-up letter, thanking Mr./Mrs. So and So for taking the time to interview you on XX day for the XXXX position.

KNOW YOUR RESUME! This has to be the Number 1 mistake people make; they do not know whats on their resume in detail and when asked about something on it and to provide an example / do an exercise, people blank out - dont do that! (FWIW, yes some employers administer a written "test" at interviews, ensuring you can do what you say you can. My hubby has had to do a lab result using calculations at every interview he's ever been on). If for example, you were in finance and were responsible for Aquisitions and Purchases with a yearly budget of $3M for 3 accounts/contracts, then you'd better be able to say what you did in that aspect and know what your job entailed fully.

These are just some of my things that I tell people when they ask me for help with their resume.

Feel free to add to the list your experience!
                Pandora, thank you for that excellent information. I took some notes to prepare. And I have experienced some of the things you put in there during the interviewing process. I like the round table with multiple people. This gets crazy as different people in different departments hammer you with random questions. I do have a portfolio of my work, so I am able to reference and often prove something related to what the interviewer asks or to back up something I say I did.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X