top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The final battle for middle-class Americans? Watch Verizon's unions strike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't underestimate the "astroturf" commentators paid for by the Koch Brothers, etc., and also those who are themselves in a bad economic position, and instead of blaming the economic elite, they blame those who are slightly better off than they are.

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
    If I were to venture a guess or two...

a) Teachers are employed and paid by the government in majority of cases, which translates into "out of my taxes" for most people. Verizon workers are the ones paying taxes...unlike their employer, if I may add...

b) As much as telecom is one big sorry affair in this country, its educational system is notably worse. If you complain to Verizon a dozen times about a noisy phone line, or an inconsistent DSL, it will eventually get fixed. Good luck accomplishing anything similar within the public school system.

That being said, the amount of hate and vitriol that is being thrown at Verizon's striking workers all over the web is quite stunning...or is it?

Good luck to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by ByeByeCCs View Post
      You really don't appreciate unions until you live in a right to work state. I think folks who live in areas where unions are strong take them for granted. But when you see the salaries companies offer in right to work states it is disgraceful. But unions have been demonized so much (and often with cause) I think it will be hard for them to recover. Middle class will soon be a thing of the past.
      Right - which is funny because those countries with strong unions are doing reasonably well....

Comment

A friend of mine who's a part of VZ's striking workforce got a letter today informing him that the company is terminating health care and all related benefits for its striking employees as the end of the month. Have no fear, you can sign up for COBRA for measly $1300 or so a month.

Yes, I understand that "the company" said that they would do so, and no, I'm not surprised. My understanding is that NYNEX had done the same during the four-month strike of 1989.

Those were *very* different times, though, for everyone involved.

If this strike doesn't get resolved very soon, this forum will be getting quite a few more former-middle-class members from the eastern side of Verizon's payroll...

Good luck to us all.
        No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Shark as usual points out something very very important - this is now "normal" management "bargaining" technique!!!

Of course if we had national healthcare, Verizon wouldn't be able to do this...

And sadly, I think Shark (as usual) is 100% right...Bk law is a growth "business"...

Originally posted by shark66 View Post
          A friend of mine who's a part of VZ's striking workforce got a letter today informing him that the company is terminating health care and all related benefits for its striking employees as the end of the month. Have no fear, you can sign up for COBRA for measly $1300 or so a month.

Yes, I understand that "the company" said that they would do so, and no, I'm not surprised. My understanding is that NYNEX had done the same during the four-month strike of 1989.

Those were *very* different times, though, for everyone involved.

If this strike doesn't get resolved very soon, this forum will be getting quite a few more former-middle-class members from the eastern side of Verizon's payroll...

Good luck to us all.

Comment

It's over.

The unionized workforce has lost the battle, whether they'll admit to it or not.

Good luck to us all.
            No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

They got an extension of the current terms while continued negotiations take place, that's not a loss that's a stalemate. I think that Verizon is going to end up caving on some issues and the union will end up caving on some issues. Which is typical in contract negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                They got an extension of the current terms while continued negotiations take place, that's not a loss that's a stalemate. I think that Verizon is going to end up caving on some issues and the union will end up caving on some issues. Which is typical in contract negotiations.
                I don't disagree, however...

Given the list of demands that Verizon had originally presented, whatever the union ends up caving in on will be a *huge* loss to its membership...

Good luck to us all.

Comment

The problem with going out on a strike is we are only as strong as the weakest link. The first time you have someone cross that picket line it is all but over with. It is not any easy decision and you will find real quick who is in it for the long haul and who is in it all for themselves and to heck with everyone else.

Myself, being in a right to work state belonging to a union doesn't really mean much these days. I can just imagine the bs that would take place without their prescence though.

Reading the comments on yahoo today it appears the middle class is attacking the middle class who belong to a union. That is exactly what the Dems/Reps and big business want.

Comment

Many people are so afraid that they don't want anyone to have it better than they...and by better I mean this - why should THEY have job security when I have none, instead of directing their grievances elsewhere...

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
                    The problem with going out on a strike is we are only as strong as the weakest link. The first time you have someone cross that picket line it is all but over with. It is not any easy decision and you will find real quick who is in it for the long haul and who is in it all for themselves and to heck with everyone else.

Myself, being in a right to work state belonging to a union doesn't really mean much these days. I can just imagine the bs that would take place without their prescence though.

Reading the comments on yahoo today it appears the middle class is attacking the middle class who belong to a union. That is exactly what the Dems/Reps and big business want.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X