The Nouveau-Hillbilly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nouveau-Hillbilly

Well, after a series of personal and relationship issues (which also were responsible for my absence from Web boards for a while -- real life kept getting in the way), I found myself with no remaining reasons to live in the city, and I decided to up and move to the sticks. So I sold my few remaining tech support clients, found a place on Craig's List, packed my stuff, and headed for the hills.

I'm now living in a cabin in rural New York State, far from the noise, traffic, and aggravation of the city. I found a place that's quiet and secluded, yet close a main road (NY-17, soon-to-be Interstate 86). Most importantly, it also has great DSL service (thank you, Frontier Communications).

I'm acclimating well to country life. I installed a CB radio in the car yesterday, as well as a Sirius radio (there are, like, no radio stations here); and today I changed my valve cover gasket out in the grass (real rednecks fix their own cars). When I was done, as if on cue, my three neighbors stopped by to watch me start the engine and help me stare at it for a while.

Once we all agreed the gasket wasn't leaking, we nodded approvingly, scratched our beards, enjoyed cheap beers, and then talked about deer and women for a while. Then I went in and made sausage, peppers, and onions.

So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying this country living thing. I guess you can call me the "Nouveau-Hillbilly."

-Rich
    Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
    Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

LOL. What a great visual. Were your neighbors named Larry, Darryl & Darryl?

Enjoy them thar crickets.
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Too funny!!! Rich & Debee!!

Actually it sounds really nice - heck with the internet, and the satellite radio...doesn't matter where you live!!!

Comment

Sounds like heaven to me. Good for you RichM!!!!!
        Filed Chapter 13: 8/2006, Confirmed: 10/2006
        Total # of payments: 60 / ZERO REMAINING!!
        Case CLOSED: 01/27/2012

Comment

I love living in the sticks! Of course I am in TN, so there really are some back woods places here. We just found a house near the city, but still in the back woods. I just do not like living in the city. I like to wake up and see the birds and chipmunks. Plus I have three dogs that love nature. Plus when you take a step back it is worth not having to deal with all the stress of the big city.

I hope you enjoy the cabin!
          Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
          341 meeting on 5/28/2010
          Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X