Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GovernmenT at work.

Isn't It Ironic?

The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals" because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.

Any idiocy that you come by, please post here. Let's all see how our taxes are at work. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

I work a full time job & a part time job. 60-62 hours a week total, not to mention 1 hour commute each way to the FT job.

I did some calculations the other day. If I were to quit my FT job, work a little more at my PT job:

1.) I'd qualify for $585-785/mo in food stamp benefits. (According to the hypothetical scenario I ran thru the online prequalification website.)
    2.) I'd qualify for free medicaid for self & Hubby. (Probably - can't get any details on this.)
    3.) I'd pay $0 per month on my student loans under the IBR program, and after 25 years of 'repayment' they'd be forgiven.
    4.) I'd possibly qualify for local utility assistance.
    5.) I'd no longer drive the 220 miles per week round trip to the FT job, saving on gas and such.
    6.) I'd get free healthcare for the kids - presently I pay a monthly premium for GA's Peachcare.
    7.) I'd earn the maximum in EIC, and get 100% of CTC paid out, an increase of over $7,000 in tax refunds over what I got for 2011.
    8.) I'd get free lunches for the kids at school.
    9.) I could work about 10 extra hours per week at the PT job (~30-32 total per week) to boost that income a little. <--Would keep me around $15-17k per year gross income.

The net result: I'd work about half as much, have almost no commute time, all for a net loss of less than a few hundred dollars per month. Essentially I'd make almost as much by NOT working so much, as I do from working so much.

Note, I'd also lose my company paid 401k annual contributions and July/Dec bonuses - the above is just based on my salary. I figure the non-salary benefits would be exchanged for my newfound free time. Not that I'm going to act on it, but its kind of depressing.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

SminGa2, there is something you have that money won't buy. Self respect. I applaud you and those who still have the work ethic to be self reliant. "Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
        SminGa2, there is something you have that money won't buy. Self respect. I applaud you and those who still have the work ethic to be self reliant. "Hub

I 2nd that!!! SminGa2 is an endagered species. Not too many left I'm afraid.

Even I feel that eventually we will be out of this slump we are all in and the working poor are still better off working then giving up and collecting state benefits.

I only say that because some time ago we were discussing a post where companies don't want to even deal with the long term unemployed. For that reason we are all better off working at any full time job vs. willingly quitting, so if opportunity happens to knock the full time workers will have a better shot at advancement.
        Last edited by banca rotta; 03-05-2012, 05:41 PM.
        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Over half on Food Stamps have jobs but do not make enough to sustain. At least in Germany, you have access to apprentice program to gain the necessary skills to be sustainable. Plus there is no such thing as obscene student loan debt.

Originally posted by SMinGA2 View Post
          I work a full time job & a part time job. 60-62 hours a week total, not to mention 1 hour commute each way to the FT job.

I did some calculations the other day. If I were to quit my FT job, work a little more at my PT job:

1.) I'd qualify for $585-785/mo in food stamp benefits. (According to the hypothetical scenario I ran thru the online prequalification website.)
          2.) I'd qualify for free medicaid for self & Hubby. (Probably - can't get any details on this.)
          3.) I'd pay $0 per month on my student loans under the IBR program, and after 25 years of 'repayment' they'd be forgiven.
          4.) I'd possibly qualify for local utility assistance.
          5.) I'd no longer drive the 220 miles per week round trip to the FT job, saving on gas and such.
          6.) I'd get free healthcare for the kids - presently I pay a monthly premium for GA's Peachcare.
          7.) I'd earn the maximum in EIC, and get 100% of CTC paid out, an increase of over $7,000 in tax refunds over what I got for 2011.
          8.) I'd get free lunches for the kids at school.
          9.) I could work about 10 extra hours per week at the PT job (~30-32 total per week) to boost that income a little. <--Would keep me around $15-17k per year gross income.

The net result: I'd work about half as much, have almost no commute time, all for a net loss of less than a few hundred dollars per month. Essentially I'd make almost as much by NOT working so much, as I do from working so much.

Note, I'd also lose my company paid 401k annual contributions and July/Dec bonuses - the above is just based on my salary. I figure the non-salary benefits would be exchanged for my newfound free time. Not that I'm going to act on it, but its kind of depressing.

Comment

I don't know how to not work. Besides - if I spent 35-45 more hours a week with the spouse, we might not have such a happy marriage. Too much time together can be a bad thing on a relationship!

And I don't mean to knock the system where there are benefits for those who need them. I do believe some truly do NEED them, though I realize there are probably more who milk the system.
            ~Staci
            Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Originally posted by jacko View Post
              Over half on Food Stamps have jobs but do not make enough to sustain. At least in Germany, you have access to apprentice program to gain the necessary skills to be sustainable. Plus there is no such thing as obscene student loan debt.

Wirklich?
              The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X