Filed BK and included mortgage - how soon can I look for new housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed BK and included mortgage - how soon can I look for new housing

I filed bankruptcy in December but discharge will probably be April or May - husband will have extensive surgery sometime in February/March. Since we are losing the house we are anxious to have living arrangements made prior to surgery. How soon can we start to look for something to rent. We think about taking funds from IRA for small condo to purchase also but don't want to disrupt or own property prior to discharge.

I know you might feel the need to settle into something new and move on, but whats the rush? By staying where you're at, you can save a serious nest egg. We filed Ch13 in October, and have already saved up almost 6K in emergency funds while waiting for the bank to foreclose. From what I hear, it could be months until that happens. When the bank does foreclose, they have to give you at least 91 days notice (its closer to 4 months at the current rate of foreclosures in Maricopa county).

I would save up as much as possible before the bank takes action. Also, do you have an HOA at the property you're surrendering? Just remember you're still on the hook for HOA fees until the foreclosure occurs
    10/27/11 - Filed Ch13 ------ 2/27/12 - Conversion to Non-Consumer Ch7 ----6/11/12 - Discharged!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X