I feel so ill-prepared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel so ill-prepared.

I'm getting ready to file any day, now, but am wondering if I should wait a few more months. I really don't want to do that. I'm so ready to get this part of my life done.

The problem (this time) is that I have not been able to get into the habit of saving receipts. I have some, but not all. I keep losing them. What if the trustee wants to see them at the 341?

My husband's paychecks are not direct deposited, so when he gets paid on Friday, the deposits don't post until Monday. When we do our grocery shopping on the weekends, we pay for it with cash that he takes from each paycheck. This helps us avoid overdraft charges in the interim. That's the way we've always done it. It works for us. But, if the trustee asks for bank statements, he's sure to wonder where $200 dollars from each check is going. I don't want him to think we're hiding it under the mattress.

What should I do? Should I hold off on filing for a few more months? I really don't want to do that, but I will if it's best. But, even if I do wait, who's to say I'll get better about saving receipts?

Advice? Prayers?
    Last edited by lotsahats; 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: grammatical and spelling errors
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

On the other hand, if no grocery store purchases show up on the bank statements, then wouldn't the trustee surmise that that's where the cash is going? We do, after all, eat.
    Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

If you don't file soon, you are going to drive yourself mad with worry! File now!

It is okay if you don't have your receipts. In the unlikely event that the trustee looks that closely at your statements and asks about the $200, just tell him what you used the cash for. It is common for people to keep pocket cash. It is very unlikely you will be asked for any receipts.

You seem to be looking for things to worry about. You've had two attorneys tell you that you have an easy Chap 7 and you are still worried you will get pushed into a 13. I think you read things here and find away to apply them to you even if they don't. Remember, everyone's situation is different. Trust what you have been told by the attorneys who have reviewed your financial situation.

You may want to take a break from the forum for little awhile and spend some time thinking about something else. But, please don't take that suggestion wrong and go away for good. We love you and don't mind your questions. But, you must be miserable with all of this worry. Or maybe staying away from the forum will make you even more crazy. I don't know!

When you get discharged, I bet you'll be laughing at how you worried for nothing.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Lotsahats, don't worry about it. I think you're obsessing a bit. Trustee's know that people have grocery bills, light bills, gas for cars etc. If your expenditures are within the normal range the trustee isn't even going to look twice at you. If the trustee should ask you what the $200 withdrawal is every week, then tell him. That should be the end of it.

I've been doing bankruptcies for about 17 years now. I have never, not once, had a trustee ask for a receipt.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
          You may want to take a break from the forum for little awhile and spend some time thinking about something else. But, please don't take that suggestion wrong and go away for good. We love you and don't mind your questions. But, you must be miserable with all of this worry. Or maybe staying away from the forum will make you even more crazy. I don't know!
          I understand your suggestion, and I know you're right. I need to [try to] think about something else for a few days. My sister is in town. She has been a welcome distraction. She is hilarious! Today, I laughed harder than I have in a long time. It felt good.
          Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

I have to second and third everyone's opinions here. The trustee never asked me for receipts and only asked for 6 months of paystubs and the bank statement from the day I filed. If you have two attorneys telling you you will be ok then YOU WILL BE OK. Most attorneys don't delibertly lie to their clients. It sounds like you have done more than enough research. Honestly, I'm in a chapter 13 and pretty much broke but I just went and got my money order today and sealed the envelope. It is so much less stressful now than it was before I filed. Just think, you will be discharged in a few months and I'll still have over 2 years to go!
            Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

People are not required to use their checking/debit for everything-so this shouldn't be an issue. If asked (probably won't happen) you an explain that you get part of the check cashed for groceries.

Consider the alternative side of the coin: Said trustee won't see 'groceries' coming out of the checking account, does he think you're not eating?

This is the time for you to make sure you can live this way going forward. If getting part of it in cash and using that for essentials works for you, keep doing it. If you don't like the system, figure out a different system now. (Before you file.)
              ~Staci
              Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Hi,

I have not filed either, and am not writing in regards to the receipts, because I don't have experience with that. I am writing on what I do know and that I have driven my husband (and probably my attorney) crazy with questions, research, trying to figure everything out. I can totally relate to wanting everything to be perfect and no questions or problems. I have researched different vehicles and houses if we decide to walk away from them, tried to figure our budget(s), and every little circumstance that I can think of.

My husband and attorney told me just to relax. I haven't come on this site quite as often as I was about a month ago. Although the information is priceless, I wasn't sleeping, etc, with worry that something horrible would go wrong, or like you said that I would not be prepared once we do file.

Luckily, we thought we would have to wait until December to file, and due to a change in circumstances, we will file hopefully in June. I am praying that we will be able to file at that time (so is my husband!).

(((hugs))) Take care of yourself! We will get through this before we know it!

Lynn

Comment

Again, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take! We support you!

Comment

Oh, you all are awesome!

You're absolutely right, Lynn, I need to just let the atty do his job.
                    Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X