NFCU Collections, post 60 days late.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFCU Collections, post 60 days late.

I wanted to give everyone an update on how my collections have been going with Navy Federal Credit Union. There isn't much on them on our forum, so I hope this helps those in the future.

I am about 65 days past due on 3 different account, each with significant balances, about 70 K total, all unsecured. NFCU has been persistant, stepping things up after 30 days, seemingly stepping up even more at 50 days, and becoming downright belligerent at 60 days. Last week, I took a call from a collections rep who was downright nasty. I know he is paid to get past due people to collect, but his tactics were downright disgusting. A few things:
    • Threatening to have the IRS collect their debt for them....not going to happen. An outright lie. I wish I had recorded the call from the beginning.
    • Saying I was "No Good", a "No Good Person", "Worthless".
    • Constantly trying to get me to allow him to conference call in a relative who is also a NFCU member....saying that I "helped her out before" (co-signed a loan for her...its current) and now its time for her to "help me out"
    • Starting making my statements on what my legal obligations were, that I was obligated to tell them what my situation was. He kept carrying on about what I was legally obligated to tell him. Of course I didn't budge. I know my legal obligations more than most. Lets just say I have had a lot of legal training.
    • Threatening to repo a car that I co-signed for another member (car is paid on time, about equal on equity). He would go on an on how I was "primary" on the car and that the other party was the co-signer. I checked the paperwork, and thats not the case. (I knew that, but I had to double check anyway). I told him that he was wrong, and he then tells me...no, you are wrong! More lies.
    • I actually let this call go on for over an hour....just because I wanted to see where it would go. This guy was relentless...he must be used to getting people to cave in. After a while when I would just say no, he would scream at me...UNACCEPTABLE! And start over. I finally got it my car, had it transfer to my bluetooth and told him that I wasn't going to be able to give him any payment tonight but that he was welcome to stay on the phone until my cell phone died, which it was a few minutes from doing.
    • He then started carrying on how I was refusing to pay, of which I answered that I was 'unable' but never said 'refused'. We went back and forth about this for a few minutes, then my cell phone died.

All in all, it was an educational experience. I know they are close to filing suit...I am just trying to stave them off another week or 2, so I can get to my filing date. I'm sure there will be more calls this week.

"Refused" is any answer other than "Let me get my checkbook" and "Here are my account numbers, help yourself."
    First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

I like to play word games with them sometimes:

"I didn't refuse, I said I was unable to pay....no, it's not the same. 'Refusal' would mean I had the financial means but I am unwilling to pay; where as 'unable' means I am willing to pay but lack the financial means to do so. I am "unable" at this current point in time and when or if I am 'able' to pay at some future date when can then we negotiate this debt in a manner that achieves satisfactory conclusion for all interested parties.''

Comment

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act spells out rights and responsibilities when collecting debts. Here's where you can find the complete text of the law.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Those like that? I always liked to get their name and their physical location.

Seems like I remember telling a few of them that the next time they called and spoke like that, I was going to go visit them to whip their a$$.

Idiots.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Very rarely does anybody get fined and collectors know that.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
              Very rarely does anybody get fined and collectors know that.
              bigjohn, while that's most likely true,(more correctly REALLY true), it still helps to release somewhere to someone.... just how pissed off we our about how these situations are handled.

if nothing else during these times...it's best to at the least direct your angry and discuss to them...for example instead of your family.

it's terrible, but the truth is, if you can't pay... the banks don't care, the people holding the note on your car don't care.... if your sick and can't pay, the doctor doesn't care...and on and on. so, it's really more a suggestion to direct the angry in the right direction.
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

We got a call from a collector today who left the message, "You or your lawyer need to call us TODAY!" Should we call them? My thought was , Oh Boy! If he is that demanding on a message, do I really want to talk to him at all? We filed on the 26th.

Comment

Originally posted by cantbreathe View Post
                  We got a call from a collector today who left the message, "You or your lawyer need to call us TODAY!" Should we call them? My thought was , Oh Boy! If he is that demanding on a message, do I really want to talk to him at all? We filed on the 26th.
                  it really depends on what type of mood your in. your atty nor you have to call them period...

but if you want to call them back and give them your atty's number and tell them to call your atty themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by cantbreathe View Post

Scare tactic. They rely on scaring you, because when you get spooked enough you will offer up your bank accounts on a platter.

If you filed, I would not worry about returning their call...or I would pass it to your lawyer.
                    First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X