Saving money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving money

I was invited to lunch today by a coworker (she paid) and I noticed the restaurant was very empty. To me this is significant since this particular restaurant is normally packed to the gills on Fridays. Usually there isn't a single place to park but today we had the pick of the parking lot. I noticed the same thing at Subway near work also. I know its summer and folks might be vacationing, but the absence of customers is very obvious. The location of my job promotes foot traffic so it's easy to notice when most people are packing their lunches as opposed to eating out. I've seen some bring frozen dinners and some a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter which will last them for a while.

I cook almost always now so that I have leftovers or pack a sandwich as opposed to eating out. I know this post is stating the obvious, but I never though I would find myself discussing gas mileage and how to buy meat and veggies directly from farmers during lunch. I've changed lots of things about how I live day to day and I'm still making changes. I'm waiting until I receive my discharge to get rid of cable and I just reduced the lan line cost by dropping the inside wire maintenance of $8 per month because every little bit helps.

I just learned one helpful tip to save money if you are as tired of paying an arm and a leg for milk is to buy powdered milk and mix it half and half with 2%. It's not exactly the same, but Walmart has a great generic powdered milk that's pretty cheap. If anyone has any helpful tips on how to save money, I would love to hear them. Thanks for reading.
    Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
    341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
    Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

The landline can also be reduced by removing all of the bells and whistles you don't need or use... Call Forwarding, waiting, etc etc. I didn't realize all that stuff ran me $20 a month additional.

Newpaper cancellation, I read them for free online.

Cable to just bare basics. Now I pay $23/mo

Carpooling.Not only saving on gas, wear and tear, but tolls.

Sam's club for just the stuff I go through fairly quick.

Downgrade on the DSL, I can't really tell the difference from the more expensive one.

Cell phone to prepaid, saves me at least $8.00 a month in taxes alone, and I probably pay .01 more per minute now than I did with my 'contract' serevice. And I don't give out my number anymore, so I don't burn the minutes. Lasts me 4 months.

Thermostat to 78 when were home, 81 when were not, (summer) 68/65 for winter.

Bottled water from Walmart in the 2.5 gallon size, taste the same as the expensive stuff.

Generic labels. Very few things I insist on the brand name, I see no difference.

Scott Toilet Paper 1000 shhet, don't skimp on that one, the cheap papers go really quick, scott lasts longer.

Laundry detergent, cat food/litter: Large sizes, Sam's Club or Walmart.

Clothing: Macy's on a clearance rack for me, thrift/2nd hand stores for the kids.

Shoes: Outlet mall for Clark's ($70 shoes for me last a year) Kids-Payless (They outgrow them before they wear them out)

Yard work: I do it myself, saves me $100/mo (In TX, you cut that lawn every week, or it looks like carp)

Oil changes: Firestone, I have a $10 coupon every time I get service, so that brings the cost down to $20 per change vs Jiffy Lube or Kwik Car @ $40.00. I do other maintenance when they have their specials (oil and tire rotation, wheel balance =$40.00 in the last special)

There's probably other small stuff, I'm justg too braindead to remember.

Comment

I haven't really eaten out much at work for the last few years since I have been stuggling with money. It can be a pain in the ass to make your lunch at home for work, so if I am going to have sandwiches, or whatever I find to make that is on sale, I will take a week's worth of makings to work and store em in the fridge.

I recently got rid of my call waiting, which was stupid to have in the first place since I never answered it.

I wish I could get my cable down to 23 dollars a month. I rarely watch TV but when I do it is on an expanded channel. (Discovery has a great series on right now about capitalism in China) I have more than 500 channels and I really only want like 2-80 but the cable company won't let me have a package like that! I even tried to get rid of my movie channels and was told that it would be MORE expensive to do that. I am paying 72 a month and there is no competition for this cable company. I HATE Charter Communications.

I only pay 20.00 every three months for my cell phone with Virgin Mobile...but then again, I hardly ever use it. I find cell phones intrusive and just like the peace of mind it gives me for emergencies/necessities.

Speaking of bottled water....I just noticed those water machines, well of course I know they existed but I never thought much about them, outside of the grocery store. 25 cents a gallon! I am going to take my containers and try that now that you reminded me. I must have bottled water...the tap water in this city tastes like flavored dirt.

I agree about the generic labels. The 99 cents stores has damn good foot powder and I can usually find a bottle (100 count) of aspirin every bit as good as Bayer at CVS or target.

Often the generic brands are made by the same manufacturer, distributed by the same distributor and just packaged differently. In other words, they are the same product! It pays to do your homework.

I also agree about the toilet paper although I buy store brand double rolls. Those single roll brand names are gone so quickly.

And large sizes, even though a pain in the ass for me cause I have no room, are the way I have to go now. A 3 and 1/2 lb bag of Purina Cat chow costs 6.49 on a good day but the 18 lb bag today cost me 12.99. I can no longer afford to pass up the savings.

Food For Less is a good place to grocery shop too, if you have one near you. They don't carry absolutely everything but their sales are awesome. They are owned by Kroeger, who owns Ralphs and are a hell of a lot cheaper.

ep
      Last edited by epiphany; 07-11-2008, 07:43 PM. Reason: my inability to read
      California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

I am saving about $150 a month just taking the bus back & forth to work. I had no idea gas had reached that & I dont travel that far to work until I stopped driving it to work.

You all with big family should look into buying certain things at wholesale prices & buy it by cases instead of this retail stuff...if & when you can...there are ways.

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
        I only pay 20.00 every three months for my cell phone with Virgin Mobile...but then again, I hardly ever use it. I find cell phones intrusive and just like the peace of mind it gives me for emergencies/necessities.

ep
        a lot of people just give up the land lines & only have cell phones now. My cell with walkie talkie is $46 a month & you only get 500 minutes. I use the walkie talkie a lot but the phone I might use about 100 minutes. Nextel is one of the better services IMO.

Cell phones are very over rated & over priced as the quality will never beat analog. I suspect land lines/analog will become obsolete one day as we settle for junky cell phones with horrible quality reception & a bunch of squibble squabble...What? What was that you said? are you still there? Can you hear me?
        It wont be long we will see the tax & restrictions with laws that are going to be placed on the people over cell phone use. I forget what the recent one was...something about cell phone awareness in public with violations.

Comment

i buy my milk and bananas at the gas station - they're the cheapest by far, and the milk is local dairy/tastes the best. i also only buy what's on sale at the grocery store - it makes it more of an adventure and mixes up the meal plan. ;) also, it's a lot cheaper to buy rice in bulk at the asian or indian food markets. and i'm kinda sorta living vegetarian because meat is spendy. i'll splurge on it once in a while (if it is on sale).

i paid my car ins. for a full year, saves several dollars a month (through progressive, anyway). i buy gas when i notice it is down, even if i only need a quarter tank, and i do my own oil changes and car maint. buy my tires online (tirerack.com has rebates and gift cards, cheap shipping and great deals!). i also drive a 20 year old car that gets 45mpg on the highway (which always helps).

tj maxx and target clearance racks for me, and the dollar store (where everything is actually a dollar) for household cleaner/papergoods stuff.

no landline, and no tv/entertainment system though, just a laptop and netflix, and an ipod (gift!). and i hate to admit that i've been 'borrowing' the neighbor's wireless broadband - but charter is running a $15/mo. special right now (go to their website) so i get my own installed next week!

ps i like this thread, i love the ideas, and the blunt honesty we share with each other.
          Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
          (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

I totally forgot about powdered milk. I remember the day as kids we realized Mom was "making" our milk and pouring into the jug so we didn't know. We didn't care anyway

I bought some great work clothes at Macy's on the 80% off racks.

Comment

For those who haven't done so yet. Cut off the hot water to your washing machine. Two years ago this past Memorial Day our washer broke and wouldn't pump cold water. Being a holiday Sunday I tore into the machine switched the water inlet solenoids and got cold water again for wash and rinse though no hot water. What we discovered was...nothing. We could tell no difference not even with the whites. Still haven't bothered to fix it. Electric bill dropped a little over 10% saving us at least $20 a month. Every little bit helps right.

Oh yeah, and no more Crown, Canadian Mist, $10.27 a fifth and just as effective. Ahh the sacrifices we make, oh well.
              The future is unwritten. J.S.

Comment

Man you guys are great. I've got some GREAT ideas. I've already reduced to the cheaper DSL and didn't notice a bit of difference and I'm about to reduce cable to the bear minimum because I usually watch the news if I'm home long enough to watch anything.

I also learned the hard way to keep my thermostat at 76 or 78 in the summer because the last $180 bill I received for electric was ridiculous because the tempts get up to 100 around here. My bill is usually less than $100 especially since I had to replace the a/c unit last year which makes it more efficient than that money sucking unit I had before.

I wish I could take the bus to work, but I have to be there so early, the buses don't start running until I'm already at work.

I buy the generic brands of EVERYTHING except toilet paper and soap. For some reason the generic doesn't last and isn't worth the savings.

I don't really have to worry about clothes because I buy whatever is on the 75% off rack and wear it until its unwearable.

Thank you for the ideas. I can't wait to use the tip for oil changes.
                Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
                341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
                Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

Please consider, when you see a 'bargain' like two for one, purchase and stockpile this? A savings account "for a rainy day" you cannot eat if money cannot buy. We are in some 'interesting' times. You can horde away coins or silver, or gold, but when it gets down to problems, I can trade a pound of coffee for a couple cans of beans. Just my opinion. 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My two big no fail suggestions; (1) use coupons whether for car services, grocery store or local businesses that distribute them. Coupons are increasing as businesses need to get people in to utilize the business and learn about the business. As to grocery store coupons; save those you find that you can use (you can also do coupon exchanges/swaps at work or via your kid's school); watch the grocery store weekly circular and match up the sale prices with any coupons you may have for that item. Sometimes you can get it for almost nothing that way. Especially if they have double or triple coupons that week. Coupons can be obtained for almost anything online. Search for them if going anywhere or getting ready to purchase any item at any store. What I like best? Buy one get one free items and I have a coupon for the first item that is double or triple; (2) Dollar Stores - you can't beat them for many items such as trash bags or other household items. Be careful as to shampoos and conditioners because sometimes your grocery store may have them for less than a dollar - Suave is usually $.99 to $1.19 at a major area chain in my neck of the woods and $1.00 at the Dollar Store but sometimes the grocery store has them for $.88 or less during specials. So the Dollar Store is not good for some things - just convenience if you are there.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Very true Flamingo, I know that you are in SoFla. also beware that Sam's and Costco can fool you to. I was never a Winn-Dixie person, 38 years Publix (my first Publix was the one near 17th and Alton on the Beach). I have saved enormously with Winn-Dixies buy one get one free deals and then they give you $10.00 off $75.00 or more for the following week. The Winn-Dixie at Nob Hill Road in Vizcaya Square is really clean and nice, unlike most. Also CVS prices can be higher than Walgreens but I use "Extra Bucks" plus there register coupons, just bought $26.00 worth of stuff for $14.00 including tax.
                      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

1. Dollar stores....lol they really do have alot of cool things there for cheap. i love buying my cleaning supplies there, sponges, paperplates...things like that.

2. Sams Club- i have a membership there and that helps out alot with food costs, and if ya have cats they have litter for really cheap.

3. i used to go to the hair salon to get my hair dyed....that would run me like 50 bucks, now i buy the 10 dollar stuff from walmart! the only thing i go to the salon for now is a trim once in a while.

4. Walmart! whatever i cant get at sams or the dollar store i get at walmart.

5. go PREPAID CELLPHONE- my actual cell phone had to go to collections cause i was paying 90 a month, i now have a prepaid and cut way down on using it and now i only spend about 30 a month
                        retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
                        10/30/10- WEDDING!!
                        09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

As for saving money the most effective means I've found is to get cash out when I put my check in the bank (I get a paper check). This money is for food/gas. When it runs out I buy no more food/money. It works pretty good.
                          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3 View Post
                            Very true Flamingo, I know that you are in SoFla. also beware that Sam's and Costco can fool you to. I was never a Winn-Dixie person, 38 years Publix (my first Publix was the one near 17th and Alton on the Beach). I have saved enormously with Winn-Dixies buy one get one free deals and then they give you $10.00 off $75.00 or more for the following week. The Winn-Dixie at Nob Hill Road in Vizcaya Square is really clean and nice, unlike most. Also CVS prices can be higher than Walgreens but I use "Extra Bucks" plus there register coupons, just bought $26.00 worth of stuff for $14.00 including tax.
                            Nope, not in So. Fla. Much further north! :-) But I am very familiar with Winn-Dixies, Goody's and some other southern chains!

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

We dropped cable and went to 4 at a time Net Flix. they also have plenty of stuff that you can watch online, instantly at no cost. There are plenty of websites out there with your favorite TV shows as well. We watch WAY less TV now, but have plenty to watch when we want to.

There are recipes on the internet for making your own laundry detergent and other cleaners. I know people who use the laundry and dishwashing detergent and love it. The key with dish detergent is that you HAVE to use citric acid in it or it won't work well. I make all my own cleaners due to allergies and not wanting to be exposed to chemicals. They do in fact clean just as well. And vinegar has been proven to kill 99% of bacteria and 80% of viruses.

Pop you thermostat up a bit. we have been experimenting and have found that during the day, 76 is our limit for comfort and at night it's 73. We used to do 68 at night and 72 during the day.
                              Filed 4-21-2008
                              7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X