I don't know how y'all will feel about this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how y'all will feel about this

This is something I'm not sure everyone would feel comfortable in partaking in, but I feel inclined to mention it anyway...

There is a program called Angel Food Ministries.. They offer boxes of food that you purchase for $30 and you can purchase as MANY as you want. It is enough to feed a family of 4 for a week. They also offer supplemental "Special" boxes, of fruit and veggies and meat in addition. I used this a few years ago when I first started living on my own and I think that I will return to it. Us in Ch 13 are always looking for ways to get by and this is a great way.

Here's the site: http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu.asp

There are NO income barriers or ANY kind of application. You just order from your local site (which you can find on that website I posted) and you get a delivery monthly.

The menu changes monthly also.. Just thought I would let y'all know. My schedules have my budget for food at $400 a month.. I can get 4 boxes and a box of fruit/veggies and more meat for $159.. Then I can supplement it at the grocery store and still come out on top..
    Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
    Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
    60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Wow thanks for the tip...Im there!

Comment

They're a great program. The local carwash chain around here has been advertising it on their billboards for a few weeks now. I'm sure this will help a lot people.

Just make sure you have large freezer for it all!

TS

Comment

Thats a great tip for everyone! $65 of food for $30!!! Thank you for that. I will pass it on to those I really think will benefit
        Filed: October 1, 2007 341: December 10, 2007
        CONFIRMED: December 10, 2007
        Payment: $825 / Mo. for 5 Years-29 MONTHS OF Pmts Down 23 to go!

Comment

Downinit

A wonderful program with a lot of volunteers donating a LOT of time to the starving.

I don't understand your reasoning of supplementing the Angel Ministry food with your money.

Maybe you could use your 350. dollars for food first and then if needed, supplement what you need with this program.

There are families with children and elderly people that have a hard time coming up with the 30. bucks to buy even ONE box of food.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreadsSnapping View Post
            They're a great program. The local carwash chain around here has been advertising it on their billboards for a few weeks now. I'm sure this will help a lot people.

Just make sure you have large freezer for it all!

TS
            LOL, sorry I am just not getting this. Why would you use this program, freeze food for long term use when there are people who need to eat NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by fltoo View Post
              Downinit

A wonderful program with a lot of volunteers donating a LOT of time to the starving.

I don't understand your reasoning of supplementing the Angel Ministry food with your money.

Maybe you could use your 350. dollars for food first and then if needed, supplement what you need with this program.

There are families with children and elderly people that have a hard time coming up with the 30. bucks to buy even ONE box of food.
              I don't understand why you think she shouldn't be buying food from the Angel Food Ministries?
              It says right on their website that there are NO income requirements, everyone can buy Angel Food. It isn't like someone will go without their food just because she buys some. They ship the food to the distribution centers based on what people have ordered, there are no extras sent out.
              And perhaps she will even have money available to donate to either Angel Foods or another charity because of saving so much money.

And yes it is sad that some will not have the $30 to buy a box of food. I pray that they know where to go to be fed. My own church association runs a food pantry and we give food, clothing and money to them to help feed /clothe the needy in our community.
              Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
              Plan approved- 7/11/05
              Date discharged--10-12-2007
              Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

Reading comprehension.........

I didn't say she should not be buying food from them. I asked why not use her money for food and then buy from Angel to supplement what she needs.

btw, your church is doing a wonderful job. The gift of food to the needy, especially the old and children is the most loving gift you can give.
                Last edited by fltoo; 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Reading comprehension.........

I didn't say she should not be buying food from them. I asked why not use her money for food and then buy from Angel to supplement what she needs.
                  The point is, she is in a 13, that normally means money is tight. She is looking for ways to SAVE money, to insure she doesn't run out before the end of the month. What is the point of spending ALL her food budget first? Then she will have NON left to buy food if the food budget wasn't enough to provide for the entire month. Makes much more sense to try and make it on the Angel Food boxes and squirrel that money saved away for the day her car dies unexpectedly, or the refrigerator goes on the fritx.

And perhaps my comprehension is off, after all I am from Arkansas, but the way I interpreted your post is that by her buying the Angel Food, someone else will have to do without.
                  Plan approved- 7/11/05

Comment

And directly from the Angel Food website,

"There are no qualifications, minimums, income restrictions, or applications.

Everyone is encouraged to participate. Some churches even encourage participants to apply the money they saved to help someone else in need.
                    '
                    Plan approved- 7/11/05

Comment

What I SAID was, use 350.out of the 400. alloted for food, wisely, I might add, for food and then use the Angel program to supplement if needed.

The program is set up for FOOD, not for you to use and save money on food so you can have money for your other expenses.

My last post on this topic. I try not to think about things like this or I would never volunteer for a food program again.

P.S. Donating money back would be nice. Does it say, congratulations, you can use the saved money to repair your frig or car?
                      Last edited by fltoo; 08-30-2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

What I SAID was, use 350.out of the 400. alloted for food, wisely, I might add, for food and then use the Angel program to supplement if needed.

The program is set up for FOOD, not for you to use and save money on food so you can have money for your other expenses.

My last post on this topic. I try not to think about things like this or I would never volunteer for a food program again.

P.S. Donating money back would be nice. Does it say, congratulations, you can use the saved money to repair your frig or car?
                        I'm not sure what your problem with the OP using her $ to buy most of her food from Angel Food Ministries Program is. She is using her money for food. What is wrong with trying to save money on food? If she can buy a few boxes and get through the month with it, what is the problem? They are buying in bulk and passing on the savings to everyone that wants to participate. They probably save a lot more money and can help more people by not having an application process and having to screen who gets a box. I'm going to guess that they are probably making a little bit of $ per box that can go to help others.

And my freezer comment was in responce to the OP saying she was going to buy 4 boxes to get through the month. She would need to store the food somewhere so it doesn't spoil and it is then wasted. And I don't really think a month is long term. I just bought 10 packages of boneless, skinless chicken breast because it was on sale for $1.69 a pound and that will last us at least a month. How is that different than if I had bought 4 boxes from AFM and stored it in a freezer?

I'm not getting what your problem is with the OP using a program that is being offered to everyone to help them save on their food costs. And if she buys the majority of her food for the month from AFM, isn't that spending her money for food wisely? The only differnce is she gets to put a few $ in her savings account instead of some supermarket exec's pockets. Maybe the money she puts in her savings account today from using the AFM program will help her buy a few boxes of food down the road when she looses her job.

Many people are struggling whether they are in a 13 or not. And I'm sure a lot of people donate a few $ back to the program or use the money they saved to help someone else in a other way.

TS

Comment

Wow, I am suprised the hostility to the OP for posting up something to help people out who are very hard up on money. (all of us) I think this would be a great program if something happens and your really hard up to feed your family. (suprise medical needs, auto repair etc) Now maybe I can see if you use this just to be cheap in general, but if your really hurting I don't see the harm is using the program?

In any event if you do use the program during the plan, once your done I would just make sure to donate your time / money back to help others.
                          Filed 10/20/08
                          Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

To the OP:

Thanks for the link/info, although I haven't started my ch 13 repayments, this info is always good for future reference and/or in case I know of a family who can use it! I found out there is a local distribution center in my neighborhood!

Thanks again!

Liz
                            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I was going to get Angel Food last month, but I was gone the day of odering. I am going to use it this next month. I have heard that the food is great and a great value.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X