Do I take the 36k or pay Cash??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate shopping too!

When I was ready to buy, I got internet quotes from all dealers within the distance I was willing to travel and worked them off each other. After getting 3 dealers to the lowest I thought they'd go (I had a good idea what that was based on the Consumer Reports New Car Price Report which I recommend), I got the dealer closest to me to match the lowest price. After we settled on a price, the salesman called to tell me that he just realized the car had wheel locks and a paint protection package and he wanted me to pay $1500 more. Knowing from the price report what those are worth, I said "no deal." He, of course, had to go talk to his manager. They took off the wheel locks that I can get at Kragen for a third of the price and threw in the paint package at no additional charge. I got financing pre-approved on Honda's website. So, when I got to the dealer, I just had to sign paperwork and say to the finance guy, "no thank you" every time he tried to sell me something.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Tobee, truecar.com you can pull up the car you want add any options and it shows the true price and shows dealerships that will honor that price, makes no difference if paying cash, financing.... It is a great tool for individuals who aren't into car shopping!

Comment

PURCHASE UPDATE: The Car is Home...aka THE PURCHASE FROM HELL!!!

pamkev and Df and Lady we will have to go No shopping one day! LOL!! yes andersen we also used truecar.com and we did exactly that and got the dealer we went to, they just didn't honor it.

oh! Lady your experience sounded like the old bait and switch. they give you a price and you get there and this and that and it's going to cost you x more . in both of our cases it was the magic $1500 number.

ok, i get the quote from three different deals using true car and us news for the pricing. one dealership is 1.5 hours away, one 1 hour away and then one is 2.5 hours away. i, like lady give the opportunity for the closes to quote a price, i wanted it in writing so i got an email with the number. we are good to go, however, we have dealer X Y and Z. X is out because they never got back to us and that was 1.5 hours away. Y is an hour away and put it in writing. we printed it out and were on our way to orlando. UNTIL and as we are walking out the door, it's about 1:45 now, and who calls but dealer Z, he says give me 5 minutes and i will see what i can do. i said OK, but only 5 minutes and understand this we want absolutely NO WHITE or RED cars. the choices are limited anyway, but gold was 1 silver 2 and then they have this metallic grayish color, nice. dealer Z calls back and says he has them ALL quotes us a price of over 2k less and sends an email to confirm. says he has the colors we want. i said it's a very long haul for us, 5 hours round trip, so is he sure he has what he says and the response is oh yes!!

we get there and of course the salesman i busy for over 1 hour he keeps coming out of his office stating i'm going to have someone else show you all the cars so this way you can pick what you want. another HOUR later someone comes up to us and says ok i will show you the cars. we get on golf cart and are dropped off in the hot parking lot full of cars and told to look for one in X price range. after over 40 minutes NOT A ONE was in that price range they were all without tax, tags or dealer charges in the high 50's. now i'm really getting upset. we get back into the dealership, by this time it's over 2 hours since we got there and still no one is helping when finally a guy comes out and says ok i will help you find the cars. AGAIN we drive around, told him we been there done that and he's the email from the guy saying he has this and that but there is nothing like that here at all. he ignores the email; we get back into the office and then the guy says we do have one and it's white??!! NO we said that was very clear NO WHITE. well then you have to go up in price into this other package level and it' s only 9k more NOT!!!!! i asked what happened to the three cars listed in this email. we were getting ready to walk out when the guy of course says we will work with you take out the dealer charge of $599, the tax and the tags plus give you another 1900 off. (by this time we are only maybe $1500 over what we wanted to pay,BUT it was the package we didn't consider since the costs was so high. we said we would ONLY agree to split the difference, the lying salesman needs to eat it, not us. and don't be pulling this back and fro gotta talk to my manager crap.... got a lecture on forgiveness i didn't appreciate and at this point we walk out of the room and said for $750 more it's worth it. ( i would have walked just because of the dishonestly). done deal...now to finance. where of course my debit card doesn't go through!!! it has a 5k daily limit. so i used the cap one check and it worked out except we left in pouring rain, they put no mats in the car, we had no clue what was what since this model was so different, we didn't get home until after 11:30 no food, so tired and said this was the worse buying experience we ever had! bottom line we got a great deal on the car.

i know i have to just let this go and enjoy the car, but it so unfair to have such a difficult time when you spend your money and are treated like we were. i know the 2nd guy did his best, but it was so fake and forced. discussing. we never had a buying experience like this ever. hope this is our last car!!

logan, it turned out that i will have to carry over 9k on the loan which i will pay off in less than 6 months, worse, 9 months. again, this should be our last large purchase in our lives. we are done with house buying, (unless we pay cash) and hopefully we have two cars now and that i pray will be it whewwww!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Tobee, I would have walked BIG time. Oh my god your an angel. i know me well enough, it wouldn't have been pretty. Congrats to you! Post pix...i wanna see!

Comment

Tobee,
            I would have been pissed and walked end. I hate car shopping big time

Comment

ok!! i'm going to try this is off the net since i can't get anything to download directly from my pics in my puter

8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

ok!! that worked! pamkev, we would have walked but it was like a 24 hour walk! LOL!! dh feels we got an excellent deal and to make me feel even better the local dealership guy called this morning to see how we made out and he said we did excellent, he said he didn't think he could have given a better deal. makes me feel better and i need to just get over this while i'm having a great time posting on yelp, ripoff.com their own site. the consumer affairs site LOL!!!!

Comment

the inside, it looks better tho, this is the best i could do

Comment

it's really cool, i can talk from no where!! and the seats get cool as well as hot AND it shows me pictures when i back up
                    AND it tells me when i can change lanes! i wonder if it does housework? LOL!!

Comment

It's beautiful, Tobee!! Enjoy it for many years to come!!

Comment

Awesome Tobee! I have always wanted one too. Beautiful. How exciting for you! I also fell in love with the Volkswagon Touareg too, that is another nice way to go.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

We went through hell trying to get the truck we bought.

Yes, we went through the 'bait and switch' phooey that the three big name car dealerships in town--all owned by the same person. Three hard pulls on our credit reports, knocked us down from near 700 to about 530.

We ended up purchasing through a reputable used-car dealer, we had done business with before filing BK. We did not get the best rate we could have, had the three hard pulls not happened.

It is aggravating to know that we TOLD these turkeys up front that we would ONLY finance through our CU, and to NOT run the credit checks. They did it anyway. Essentially, the three dealerships showed us the middle finger salute. We are doing our very best to recommend customers go elsewhere, and not at home.
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

thank you PJ, DF and pam. it really is pretty. and it's really nice PLUS it will paid off shortly!! that's the best.

angelinacat, ( missed you by a few hours) i filed a report with ripoff.com and then actually responded today saying prove it! i'm like where were the cars you promised you had??? why in the world would people take a round trip of 5.5 hours if they could get the same car just under and hour away from their home, well, just what i would expected from them as opposed to we are sorry you experienced this they were nasty and i'm glad they were so the world can see how they handled the situation. they then said we were unhappy with our purchase, we are not, just unhappy with them. i feel we still did ok with the deal just didn't have to take that ride. i could have used some really good shrimp!!!! LOL!! you could have atleast brought me some!

Comment

Wow! Sorry tobee, I have purchased 2 cars thru true car and have never had that experience, of course when I called I told them don't play games and if I come to your dealership and games begin,I will personally calling the owner from your showroom and causing a scene to the likes you have never seen! The rx350 is my dream car and I plan on getting it for my40th bday, I am in the OC pretty competitive market here, anyways congrats she's a beauty!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X