top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Included CapOne in my Ch7 -- how soon can I get a card with them again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Included CapOne in my Ch7 -- how soon can I get a card with them again?

I want to start rebuilding our credit in case we decide to buy a house as soon as we can once our house is finally foreclosed on.

We were discharged on 5/10/10. I received 2 CapOne offers in the mail (annual fee of $39). Applied for one and got declined because we have too much current or past delinquent accounts with Capital One.

I don't want to keep taking hits on my credit by applying over and over again so I'd like to know if there is a guideline for when they *will* consider me again. I know there are other cards, but for some reason, I'd really like to get another CapOne to start rebuilding.

TIA.

Unfortunately, you're probably blacklisted with CaptiolOne until either that stuff falls off your report, or permanently. Try a different company or go through your Credit Union.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I was successful in getting a $3500 No Hassle Cash Back card from them at about three months after discharge ($3000 at first, $500 increase at 3 months with "Credit Steps").

I included an account in my filing that ballooned to $2800 and had been brought all the way to a judgement in court prior to filing.

Comment

I think justbroke is probably right about the blacklisting thing. I discharged less than $300 with CapOne in my BK7, which was discharged in Feb '10. I, too, get offers from them, however, I was recently trying to buy a car and applied with Capital One Auto Finance and was declined... they gave the same reasons they gave you, goblue. Sure sounds like blacklisting to me. jadams got lucky, because there are stories of others here who were sure blacklisted with them.
        Ch. 7 filed: 11/6/09
        341 held: 12/7/09
        DISCHARGED 2/10/10!!
        unemployed since 4/09

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a good long time before I apply with them again *if* I cannot find something equally good in the meantime. Irks me that I got another pre-approval letter from them yesterday - I wish their system would realize who they have blacklisted and stop sending out the applications!

Comment

Try for that Hooters Mastercard. People on here claim they are getting them shortly after discharge. I'm uncertain about the Blacklisting with Capital One. I was approved for an auto loan with them yesterday, 5 days after discharge. I included a Capital One Visa in my Ch. 7. The limit was $500.00 and a total amount of $2785.00 was discharged--all interest and fees. So I have no clue how they make their approval decisions for sure.
            Filed Ch.13 August 2008,
            Converted to Ch.7 03/31/10, 341 Meeting 05/05/2010, Discharged 07/16/2010

Comment

You need to realize that when you file, you are now on BK mailing lists and will receive all sorts of offers or pre-approved offers but once you apply and they take a gander at your credit reports, 98% of the time there are declines. You are going to have this BK on your credit report for 10 years...there is no guarantee you will be granted any credit soon; time is your friend after filing. The best thing to do is focus on paying everything on time and show that you are creditworthy again. Look at it this way which is emotionless...if someone discharged the debt that was owed to you in a bankruptcy, how quick would you want to lend again to that person?

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

You may want to wait a while, I would think about 3 months until you apply again. Have you tried a secured card yet? That would be a good start. I have read hear and on creditboards, that Hooters is pretty easy to get also. Pretty decent limits as well.

It will probably be 2-3 years until you can qualify for a house, and that is after the foreclosure happens I believe, so you have plenty of time to get that credit up.

Comment

I included Cap One account in 7/09 discharge and received offer in the mail a couple days ago and was accepted for $750. Basically 1 year for me, but I also didn't apply until I received an offer letter.
                  Filed CH 7 3/26/09
                  341 4/23/09
                  Discharged 7/7/09
                  Rental Foreclosure Sale 11/4/09

Comment

I was approved for a Cap 1 card with $500 limit unsecured 6 months after discharge. I never received any pre-approved offers in mail from them, but I didnt have a card with them when I filed chapter 7 either. My credit score is already "fair" at 646 now. It was about 580-590 before discharge so that probably was a big help with the improved score. good luck.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X