Rebuilding credit after Chapter 7 bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding credit after Chapter 7 bankruptcy

So I was hoping for some guidance about getting a credit card to start rebuilding my credit after bankruptcy. Here's the info:

- Declared personal (Chapter 7) bankruptcy at the end of Feb, 2013 - it was discharged in June 2013
    - I included the following banks in the chapter 7 bankruptcy: Bank of America, American Express, Barclays, Chase, Citibank, and Sears (not all of these had active accounts with balances I owed, but my bankruptcy attorney had me include everything)
    - I pulled my credit reports a few months after the bankruptcy was discharged and then begin correcting what I could on there - pulled them again recently and Equifax still has some mistakes but Experian and TransUnion seem to be correct now
    - My FICO scores are:
    - Equifax: 617
    - TransUnion: 645
    - Experian: 615
    - I applied for a business credit card from Bank of America a few months ago and was told I didn't qualify but could get it through a secured means if I wanted (I have an LLC)
    - Last night I applied for an unsecured card from Capital One and was turned down (am waiting for the letter to arrive to request reconsideration over the phone); also applied for a Barclays card and was turnd down (also was turned down on request for reconsideration because I had included them in bankruptcy - I know it was unlikely that I would get this card, but given that they seemed to use TransUnion for their credit pulls based on creditboards.com and my TransUnion score was the highest, I figured I'd give it a shot).

Now that I've already had these two (actually three if you count the Bank of America app a few months ago) hard pulls on my already damaged credit, I am not sure what to do next. I'd very much like to see if there's any way to get an unsecured/no annual fee card to help rebuild my credit (even if it's a small credit line) since I'm being very careful in watching my money since the bankruptcy and would prefer not to spend money on an annual fee or security deposit. Anyone have any ideas?

If there is really no way to accomplish this, I guess I'd consider a secured card with an annual fee (although if that's the only choice, I might just opt to do nothing right now since I'm surviving OK using cash/debit card). I've read that the capital one secured card is the best (in that it has a low annual fee and a small security deposit required). Any thoughts?

Also, is there anything else I could be doing to rebuild my credit? I believe (although am not 100%) that if I could get a co-signer I could probably get some of these unsecured/no annual fee cards and use that to rebuild credit, but unfortunately can't find one currently. Any ideas are welcome regarding rebuilding my credit.

Thanks!

Wait 3 months before applying for another card. Then check websites like bankrate.com and creditcards.com for cards meant for people who are rebuilding credit. Review the qualifications for each card and never apply for one that you don't think you will qualify for. You will probably have trouble finding an unsecured card with no annual fee. Shoot for one with a low annual fee. You also very well may have to settle for a secured card to start out.

You could also wait and let your BK age another year.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

as Lady points out, you have to wait a few months. it's been a few years or more for us and i get offers good ones every single day. a secured card is a good way to start in case you need to travel of must use one for work.
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Find a credit union and bank with them for a few months, You dont have to fully move over to them. Ask them for either a credit builder loan or a low signature loan. You need to get some good credit under your belt.

We had reaffirmed a car loan and my wife and I waited 3 months both of us applied for a Cap One and we were both approved for a 1k card. Then we added each other to the accounts for 2 trade lines. Barclay was upfront with me when I called them. They said they will not approve you without some history after the bk.

Comment

Good advice on seeking out a credit union for a credit builder loan. They also most likely offer secured credit cards.

Google credit card preselector and preapproval websites. You can type in your info and see if you are preapproved for cards. Saves an inquiry.

I wouldn't go for a card with an annual fee. I'd go for a secured card instead.

You said Equifax had some mistakes. Have you disputed those yet? There are forums on the internet specifically for helping people dispute their credit reports successfully.

Inquiries hurt your credit some but not that much, especially not 3. There are people out there with 20 inquiries on each credit report.
          Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X