Successful Ch. 13 discharge - woot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Successful Ch. 13 discharge - woot!

It has been a long, long 5 years and quite honestly sometimes it felt like the day would never come when we'd be free. But we're done!! Our last payment was June 2015, we received the Trustee's notice to stop making payments about a month after that and then we got the notice of final audit in late August and then the discharge came about 30 days later. The day we opened the discharge letter, I immediately started crying. I wasn't expecting all that emotion but it hit me out of nowhere and I felt such tremendous happiness and relief. I think my advice to anyone just started out on this is to be patient, follow the rules and inform your lawyer of EVERYTHING. We documented every conversation with our lawyer just in case. We did nothing to jeopardize our case. There was no way I was going to do this for 5 years and have something affect my case negatively. You gotta follow the rules. We were offered a credit card from Capital One pretty immediately (like a week after discharge) and it's done wonders to jack up our credit scores pretty quickly. I was at 840 when I filed for BK and then after discharge I was at 515. Ouch. One month after using the credit card at only 10% of its limit my score is already at 700. Of course, making car and mortgage payments on time throughout the BK helped I'm sure but it's amazing how quickly my score is rebounding. Thankfully we have learned to live on cash alone - if we don't have the cash for it, we don't buy it. But you do need a credit card to build your credit score so having one we pay off every month is a little bit of a necessary evil.

Thank you to everyone who posts on here and shares their stories. It helped me get through a lot of stress and anxiety over the past 5 years to know I was not alone. And good luck to everyone out there. You can do it. And someday it will all be behind you and you'll be moving forward with new lessons on financial management in your back pocket.

Congratulations!!! Another great DISCHARGE story!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey to freedom!! Many of us get inspired to keep on going every time we read successful stories like yours!!!

Filed Dec 17 2010 Confirmed May 25 2011 Last Payment 12/2015 - Discharged 7/19/2016

Comment

Congrats! thanks for the credit tip.

Comment

Congrats! I just completed my CH13 this month...waiting on Discharge papers, does show "case closed" on the Trustee Website.

It was a long 5 years, but in the end...worth it!

Comment

Congrats your discharge. Thanks and good luck.
          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

What a great post! Thank you for taking the time! Great advise! Congrats and all the best to you!
            Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Congratulations!
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Excellent news on a Chapter 13 discharge. I personally enjoy reading about a Chapter 13 discharge because they are special. Enjoy your new financial life!
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Best feeling in the whole world after a long, stressful 5 years! Good luck to you all!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X