IRS wants more money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS wants more money

We paid our last payment on March 10th, 2016 and received our discharge on April 29th. Everything I thought was fine but then yesterday we received to notices from the IRS. One for $118.00 for interest and penalty in 2009 and the other for interest of $132.00 for 2010. We paid them over $5000.00 as part of the chapter 13 which I thought was a 100% pay back for them. Has this happened to anyone else?

I didn't have any tax debt in my BK, but it sounds like the IRS' claim did not include all of the priority tax debt. Call the IRS and ask them to provide you a full statement of your account showing how they arrived at the amounts due. Check that against the proof of claim they filed and your Chap 13 plan. If the numbers don't line up, check with your attorney. But, keep in mind that your attorney may charge you and it may make more sense to just pay the relatively small amount.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Not enough info. Please answer:

1. When did you file bk?

2. What type of tax (income or withholding - 941/6672)?

3. When did you file the return - before or after the bk was filed? If before, was it filed on time?

Des.

Comment

I had the same thing happen. It was due to the 'forbearance' you can be granted if you are in an active bankruptcy. I know the IRS classifies each bill differently. I had three due to my business closing right before I declared Chapter 13. One was paid off as PRIORITY during the early stages of the BK, in a few months. However the other two bills were held in forbearance until I was discharged. Interest accrued and I was responsible for paying that off also.
        I also had a student loan (for one of my sons) that did not get paid down during the BK. This threw me for a loop since I thought I was paying down student loans during BK. But this other loan did not kick in for payment until AFTER I declared. I forgot all about it

Comment

Were 2009 and 2010 taxes filed late?
          We will have the same issue. We were told Penalties and interest continue to accrue for late filing years that are included in Chapter 13.
          I'm waiting to see what we will owe as well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X