chapter 13 plan finish or try to convert to chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chapter 13 plan finish or try to convert to chapter 7

I am 3 years complete on a 5 year chapter 13 plan. I recently lost my part time job which pretty much was the amount I paid the trustee. The question is should I actively try to find another part time job if possible or should I try to convert to a 7 now that our income is below the median income in my state. Any thoughts on the risks of going back to court or re-examining my entire plan again or would it be cut and dry. I am so far into it I would hate to rock the boat. I am paying less than 50 percent of my 100,000 unsecured debt and my student loan is in the plan. Any thoughts?

Convert.

(Unless you're doing a lien strip or have other tax type issues in the Plan.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Talk to your attorney. Your attorney will probably advise you to get another job ASAP and finish the Plan. Of course you need to be employed to fund a Chapter 13 plan so if you are unable to find a job you will have no choice but to convert. Right now, since you filed 3 years ago, you will only have a BK on your credit reports for another 4 years if you stay in your 13. If you convert, you will have a Chapter 7 on your credit reports for 10 years from the day you convert plus you will probably be showing two BKs on your credit report. I would discuss the entire situation with your attorney but I would seriously look at trying to find a job and finish out your Plan.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I would try to find another job and finish your plan, you are over half way there! If you convert your 7 will be on your credit report for 10 years unlike your 13 which will be off in just 4 more years. I know it's tough and 2 years seems like a long time away but you can do it! I remember in the beginning 5 years seemed like FOREVER, and every year it still seemed endless. I had 2 periods of time where we lost my income for 6 months and it was tough but we stuck it through.........now we are only 4 months away!!! Good luck!

Comment

I'm on the fence on this one. Primarily because the person works a second job, just to stay in plan. That's a tough place to be... for years.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I would convert unless there are extenuating circumstances the OP didn't report on. (mortgage arrears, taxes, lien strip, etc) Using lots of credit helped get me into my mess, so I couldn't care less about what happens to my credit score, but that's just me. I have a very secure job (tenured) and a low house payment in the town I work in, so can't anticipate having to move or need good credit in the future as I plan to operate in the mode of "if I don't have the $ for it in cash, I won't buy it" even after I get out of my CH 13. But of course if you have a job that does credit checks, or anticipate buying a house in the future, maybe it's worth working your fingers to the bone for another couple of years, but otherwise, I'd say CH 7 all the way.
            Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
            Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X