Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job credit check?

Hi,
    We just filed Chapter 13 bk and I am interviewing to change jobs. Sometimes before an offer the employer asks for a credit check and drug test. In the past I have not worried about this, but I am wondering if it will effect a job offer. I work in the computer field.

Should I tell them about it up front and explain that we are in a repayment plan, or just not worry about it???

Please share any experience that you have with this matter.

I have no direct experience in this area. The consumer credit report is usually run to check out public information about you, and not so much your credit. There is an exception where you will be working in a fiduciary capacity, in a financial services company, or other positions where national or local security is at hand.

I remember when I was consulting a major U.S. Bank and had to be fingerprinted and credit ran. This is when I had a 600 middle credit score. No problems! I think they are looking for judgments and other nasties (public records) contained in your credit file. It wasn't so much that they were looking for a credit score. It's also a great way to validate certain information.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks so much Justbroke, I feel better hearing this from you. My credit score is currently 660. I have been tracking it through the process.

Comment

Do a search on this forum. So much as been discussed about this area recently. Yes a BK can affect a job offer; the best thing to do if you have an interview lined up is to thoroughly investigate the company you are applying to, their hiring practices and just expect a credit and background check to be run when you sign your application. You willi agree to whatever is in the paragraph(s) prior to your signature as to what you are allowing them to do to consider you for employment. If you suspect your BK will be an issue, be fully open and honest about your situation, draw on your past job experience and what a good employee you are and push how you can be an asset to that company. It's all about selling yourself and if they like what they see and your past emloyment history, they can and will ignore any BK on your records; however, realize that some companies have it in their policies that they just will not even consider people with bad credit or BK on their records...those are mostly banks and financial-related field companies.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

It isn't necessarily the end of the road, especially if you have a good explanation. I managed to get a Department of Defense Secret clearance with a Chapter 13, and I was moving along the way to a Department of State TS clearance with the 13 still on the books, but the job didn't work out with all the travel they wanted. I wasn't exactly sure how that would have gone, but it should not deter you. Regardless, if you can give a rational expanation it should not be the end of the road on the way to changing jobs. Just be prepared to explain your situation.

Comment

In some places it can be an issue - but if they REALLY want to hire you, they'll find a way around it. In the computer field if you're not handling money or financial transactions it shouldn't be an issue. Generally smaller companies are more flexible on hiring rules than large corporations.

After closing my store last year I got a job with a small local company who never checked my credit - if they had, they would've seen well over $100K in debts. My boss isn't aware of specifics but did know that I was not in good shape financially. He's been involved with small businesses for many years and knows how that goes, so was very understanding. I was recently contacted by another company that wants to hire me in a similar role, but for twice the money. The new company is a national corporation with locations around the country and is by far the biggest in the industry. Their rule is they won't hire anyone with recent charge-offs or bankruptcy (both of which I have), but the regional manager REALLY wants to hire me and is trying to pull whatever strings he can to make it work. We'll see how that goes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X