top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for new job....backgrownd check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applying for new job....backgrownd check?

We are two months into our Ch 13, and my husband is looking for a new job. (long story on why)

But anyway, he's interviewed and been offered a job with FedEx. The job is tentative until he passes a drug test/physical...and a backgrownd check.

I'm just curious about the background check, and if anyone has had any experience with failing because of BK filing. He'll pass everything else for sure as he has nothing to hide! LOL I'm just crossing my fingers that our BK doesn't cost him the job.

Any insight??
    Filed Chapter 13 on March 16, 2010
    341 Mtg on April 16, 2010, Confirmed on May 7, 2010 (Step plan for 36 months)
    35 months down - 1 to go

Employers cannot discriminate against potential employees that have filed BK. If I am not mistaken this is federal law.

Comment

As long as he's not applying for a position in finance, it should be fine...
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Have you done a search in this forum on this subject? This subject has been discussed very heavily and there is lots of information/postings on the matter.

An employer cannot fire a present employee for filing BK; however, a potential employee having a BK on their record can prevent them from getting certain jobs (i.e., financial related, certain federal or government jobs, etc.) and that will or should be stated at the outright to anyone who applies or will appear on the job application which one signs which will also indicate approval for a credit and background check (usually the paragraph just before signing or one of the clauses on the application). Applying for a FedEx job should not pose a risk since there is no handling of cash, checks, credit accounts, transfer of funds, etc.. The best thing to do is try to review FedEx's hiring policies and see if they have an HR section on their website. Have your hubby do his homework before any interview and if the question of his Bk arises, tell him to be honest and open about the situation. It is public information and if they run a credit check they will have it.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

To further answer your question, there have been many on here that have not been hired due to their BK and there have been many that have obtained jobs with a BK on their records...do a thorough search.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I just passed a background check for a government security clearance. Interesting on the paperwork they ask if you owe the federal government or child support and how much. I had to put down $2,500 to the IRS. Fingerprinted and photographed, I'm now okay and passed.

It does vary though, as Flamingo wrote. If you're in a fiduciary capacity, it may be more difficult to have a recent BK on your record.

I'm with Flamingo on this. Try to find out what FedEx actually does in their background checks. Many run "consumer credit reports" but that's only to validate your SSN, date of birth and places you lived. They don't actually "score" or look at your finances. Also a "consumer credit report" will contain "public" records like arrests and lawsuits which could affect your employment.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
              As long as he's not applying for a position in finance, it should be fine...
              This is our problem, both my hubby and I are in finance and we have been told no one will hire us if we declare....
              Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                This is our problem, both my hubby and I are in finance and we have been told no one will hire us if we declare....
                My best friend filed for bk 7 back in 2003. He is now a bank manager in Washington State. While bk could potentially pose a problem, it doesn't exclude all finance positions entirely.
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I was informally offered a job, then the offer was withdrawn when we discussed a credit check. I thought that was the end, but then the company called back (months later) and told me they could work with me. I just had an interview today with them and it went very well.

If they hiring folks really like him, they'll find a way to hire him. If he's borderline it may push him out of the running.

Comment

Originally posted by fireworks View Post
                    I was informally offered a job, then the offer was withdrawn when we discussed a credit check. I thought that was the end, but then the company called back (months later) and told me they could work with me. I just had an interview today with them and it went very well.

If they hiring folks really like him, they'll find a way to hire him. If he's borderline it may push him out of the running.

Thanks so much
                    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Thanks all!

I didn't really have much time to do any research on this. Was a busy weekend, and then I got a call today that FedEx called my hubby and asked if he could start training tomorrow!

He only has to pass a driving test before the job is official, but that should be a piece of cake for him.

Fingers crossed everyone!
                      Filed Chapter 13 on March 16, 2010
                      341 Mtg on April 16, 2010, Confirmed on May 7, 2010 (Step plan for 36 months)
                      35 months down - 1 to go

Comment

I just submitted fingerprints for a background check for a contract job with the IRS to (hopefully) begin in January. I was told upfront that a discharged BK would not necessarily be a problem, but the interviewing agent did not know if being in the midst of a current Chapter 13 would be a problem or not. Of course, the IRS is one of my creditors too. I'm sure that really helps, eh? I guess nothing to do but wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by sunshineMN View Post
                          Thanks all!

I didn't really have much time to do any research on this. Was a busy weekend, and then I got a call today that FedEx called my hubby and asked if he could start training tomorrow!

He only has to pass a driving test before the job is official, but that should be a piece of cake for him.

Fingers crossed everyone!
                          Awesome! Congratulations! I can attest to the fact that they are a great employer. I did contract work for them several years ago. The day to day regular employees don't like their contractors very much, but the company still treated us very well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X