Trustee is Arbitarily Assigns Random Amount to Unsecureds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trustee is Arbitarily Assigns Random Amount to Unsecureds

We have an attorney that I have taught everything she knows about bankriptcy (lol), so I look everywhere but in her office for answers, and I've found some great ones here.

We are within inches of having our Chapter 13 confirmed (next hearing is June 16), but the Trustee keeps coming back and making statements like "I'll take $48k to the unsecureds" (he said he'd take $66k in the last round) without any regard to our Disposable Income (the bottom line on the b22c, I call it DI). I even wrote a letter to the Trustee myself with calculations and explanations because my lawyer couldn't (or wouldn't) respond to him.

Isn't it simple, your plan payment is whatever that bottom line DI number is, right?? And effectively you pay the unsecureds whatever you can after everything else, right?

We're in the middle district in Florida. Has anyone else had any experience with the Trustee "making up numbers" like this? He keeps adding amounts to our payment based on how he goes about his "calculations", without regard to our DI.

We have agreed to way more than I think we should be paying just because our lawyer is so inept. And they keep coming back and wanting more, but it doesn't match what it says on our b22c.

One more thing - we provided complete and thorough documentation of utilities expense above the standard. It is what it is, we're not making anything up. And he said, yeah, they look high, and basically gave us about $34 of the $193 we are claiming.

How can the Trustee be so arbitrary and what can we do about it (bearing in mind that we can't turn to our attorney for help)?

We filed in June 2009 and we're still not confirmed.

If it weren't for the fact that we've aready gotten court orders to strip our second and third mortgages we'd drop the whole thing and start over - I even wondered if we could do a Chapter 7 - if we include certain expenses (student loan payment, older car allowance (2 cars), utilities above standard) in the means test we pass the means test and qualify for a 7 (our attorney never would have thought to include these expenses and still insists we won't qualify for a 7. To be fair, I'm nervous about a 7).

Anyway it's been a very long road and I feel like if we just agree to what he says we'll be struggling (we'll be struggling even if we pay what I came up with when I calculated the amounts based on how they did the math).

Also we have filed 2 different amendments, so we were paying a lower amount when we started than where we're ending up. They are calculating "back payments" back to when we originally filed and are making us pay the difference. Is that normal?

Sorry so long. We've had so many problems on what I think should have been such a straightforward case I am at my wits end.

My latest thought is to re-do the numbers with some of the deductions for expenses I think we are entitled to and ask to speak to the judge myself at our next hearing.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can provide.

This is upsetting to hear! I mean, do the trustee's make up some of their own rules? Who is in charge of them? They seem like they're out for blood!
    Retained atty 3/2010. Filed Chapter 13 on 1/2013.

Comment

One question first - if your lawyer is so lacking, why are you keeping her?

Sounds to me like your trustee knows your bk lawyer is doing a poor job and you aren't a bk lawyer. He's circling you like a shark smelling blood in the water.

Have you considered contacting your state bar and reporting your lawyer for abandonment? You can also fire your lawyer and find another to protect your rights. Currently legally you are blindfolded walking a tightrope over shark-infested waters. One slip and you could find yourself in a plan that's not feasible but confimed anyway.

Get yourself better legal representation to fight back effectively against your trustee. That's what I would be investigating seriously right now if I were you.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I feel exactly as you describe.

I went to my last hearing and my lawyer did not show up (she didn't show up at the one before that either, but I did. It's been an education). All of the other lawyers were there (and their clients weren't) and here I was, little old me with no lawyer, waiting to hear my name called. I started talking to the Trustee and he started to discuss it with me and then he abruptly said "I can't talk to you" (he wanted to talk to my lawyer). I had to sit there until the judge was called in because the Trustee thought my lawyer might show up. When they called my name the judge asked me to go out of the courtroom and call my lawyer to find out if she intended to appear. Her office didn't know where she was. So the judge had to continue the hearing and issue an order to make her appear at the next one.

Even as bad as it is (and it's pretty bad) I just feel like it will be difficult and costly to go to another lawyer when we're a year into this. I do not have the energy to go through this stress for another 6 mos to a year, and I don't want to have to start over. And who is to say we don't get another lawyer that's just as bad?

I do feel very stuck. But if people here say I should not be paying "back pay" or accept the Trustee's amounts just because he's a Trustee, or that my lawyer is probably not getting us the lowest payment possible (which I'm pretty sure is true) maybe we do have to make a move, even at this stage?

Also, we held last month's payment so we wouldn't keep pumping money into an abyss (I wrote to the Trustee to explain why we were late). Since their calculations included this "back pay" (some of which was for a student loan that we continued to pay outside of the plan (another snafu), so it's not like we got the use or benefit of that money (well, we did pay on the loan)), it is getting very confusing trying to figure out how they are arriving at their numbers, so I was trying not to confuse it even more. But should we go ahead and pay May's payment based on the numbers we were paying before so we don't get in trouble for not paying? (I think I answered my own question).

Comment

Do you have any non-exempt assets that could create a minimum amount you must pay in due to the liquidation test that says creditors must get at least as much in a 13 as they would in a 7?

As to requiring you pay the confirmed amount (whatever it ends up being) times the # of months in your plan, I believe that is standard. I can see though how it is a problem in your situation, since you no longer have access to the $ that was paid to student loans. And that is something where your atty should have known how your district handles it...

If you ultimately cannot get a reasonable plan confirmed, and are unable to pay enough for the plan (including retroactive payments) then dismissing might be the last resort. Chances are good though that by now your atty has gotten paid if any was paid from your plan payments.
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

You are in a very bad spot. You REALLY need a lawyer. I would contact the state bar association or attempt to seek some relief from the Court in an effort to find competent counsel.
            Indiana Filed March 9, 2010;
            341- April 28, 2010;
            Confirmed May 25, 2010;
            $1,240 a month; 4 down & 56 to go

Comment

Originally posted by MelCapp View Post
              I feel exactly as you describe.

I went to my last hearing and my lawyer did not show up (she didn't show up at the one before that either, but I did. It's been an education). All of the other lawyers were there (and their clients weren't) and here I was, little old me with no lawyer, waiting to hear my name called. I started talking to the Trustee and he started to discuss it with me and then he abruptly said "I can't talk to you" (he wanted to talk to my lawyer). I had to sit there until the judge was called in because the Trustee thought my lawyer might show up. When they called my name the judge asked me to go out of the courtroom and call my lawyer to find out if she intended to appear. Her office didn't know where she was. So the judge had to continue the hearing and issue an order to make her appear at the next one.

Even as bad as it is (and it's pretty bad) I just feel like it will be difficult and costly to go to another lawyer when we're a year into this. I do not have the energy to go through this stress for another 6 mos to a year, and I don't want to have to start over. And who is to say we don't get another lawyer that's just as bad?

I do feel very stuck. But if people here say I should not be paying "back pay" or accept the Trustee's amounts just because he's a Trustee, or that my lawyer is probably not getting us the lowest payment possible (which I'm pretty sure is true) maybe we do have to make a move, even at this stage?

Also, we held last month's payment so we wouldn't keep pumping money into an abyss (I wrote to the Trustee to explain why we were late). Since their calculations included this "back pay" (some of which was for a student loan that we continued to pay outside of the plan (another snafu), so it's not like we got the use or benefit of that money (well, we did pay on the loan)), it is getting very confusing trying to figure out how they are arriving at their numbers, so I was trying not to confuse it even more. But should we go ahead and pay May's payment based on the numbers we were paying before so we don't get in trouble for not paying? (I think I answered my own question).
              We are in the stage of locating a good attorney, I was thinking that maybe I should try and determine where hearings are held in my state, county / area and go sit in on hearings to see what lawyers show up and how they conduct themselves after they have your money.

Does anyone know how you would find out what district court would handle hearings for an individual area? Can anyone attend these?

thanks
              Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                We are in the stage of locating a good attorney, I was thinking that maybe I should try and determine where hearings are held in my state, county / area and go sit in on hearings to see what lawyers show up and how they conduct themselves after they have your money.

Does anyone know how you would find out what district court would handle hearings for an individual area? Can anyone attend these?

thanks
                Go to http://www.uscourts.gov/Court_Locato...torSearch.aspx to find bankruptcy courts in your state. Find the court closest to you in your state and go to its website to make sure it is the right court. There should be a place where it tells you which geographic area it covers.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Attending Hearings

That is an excellent idea. Anyone can go and sit in. I have gone to two of my hearing dates and they go through all of the cases so you can hear what goes on and some of the numbers that get tossed around. You can also hear the Trustee and his/her minions talk about cases and current practices. I thought it was a great education in the process and I was so glad I went.

I wish I had gotten the name of at least one of the attorneys that I saw there both times, he was talking with the Trustee, obviously had a good relationship with him, seemed very "engaged" in the process. Unlike mine who was getting a facial during my hearings (kidding. Maybe it was a pedicure).

I think more people should do as Fallonedward proposes!

Comment

Wow, that really stinks for you, I'm sorry. I'm in Middle District of Florida too and my experience was nothing like this. Of course, my case was pretty simple; sounds like yours may be more complex with 2nd and 3rd mortgages. My trustee has been great so far. He approved my insurance payout coming to me (and not him) when my car was totaled; he approved my request to incur debt for a new car; he didn't take the bonus I received from work this year; and my payment amount didn't change one penny from what my plan proposed. I was confirmed last week, after filing in late February. It is kind of disturbing, the disparity between trustees.

But regardless, your lawyer should be fighting for you and if she's not, I agree with firing her and starting over. I understand not wanting to do that, but you don't want to be stuck with a payment you can't afford for the next 5 years. If your plan fails and is dismissed at some point, you'll be right back in the same boat. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get a different trustee upon refiling.
                    Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
                    341 meeting - 4/2010
                    Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

Trustee for Middle District

I think the Trustee is the same for us (Terry Smith?). I think there is only one Chapter 13 Trustee per district. Which makes this even sadder. Our case is really not all that complicated. Our 2nd and 3rd lien strips were not really "complicated" and are the only thing that has gone well so far!

Who did you use as an attorney, Lissy?

Comment

LOL..there better be more than one Ch 13 Trustee for the entire Middle District of Fl. There are 10 million people that live in the middle district according to the FL US BK court link here http://www.flmb.uscourts.gov/

Here they show 4 Ch 13 Trustees http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/privat...locator/13.htm
                        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

There are different divisions within the Middle District. I'm in the Tampa division and yes, my trustee is the same. My atty told me there were 2 here and I got "the better one." I find it weird that he's being so hard on your case. Are your unsecured creditors getting very little? Just throwing out guesses, I really have no idea. I can PM you who my atty is.
                          Last edited by Lissy; 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM.
                          Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
                          341 meeting - 4/2010
                          Confirmed! - 6/2010

Comment

I believe the right trustees do make a difference. At least in our area. Our atty waited until the "right" one was taking cases so we wouldn't get the other. Even in the courthouse people who worked there commented that we were lucky to get "x" and not "y". From the stories we heard it was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde different.
                            1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
                            2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
                            4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

Well at the 11th hour the Trustee came back and agreed to the numbers we presented(not #s from my attorney, the numbers based on the letter we wrote directly to him).

Now that we are ready to confirm I'm nervous I forgot some deduction or other (and I know there is at least one we could have taken). But I am trying to look at it like: "can we afford this #, and make it work to get to to discharge" and I think the answer is yes. It won't be fun, but at the end I suppose it will be worth it (I intend to read some post-discharge threads to see what we're in for).

I am also thinking I might get another attorney to look everything over if it won't cost too much $$, just to see if we should amend the plan if I missed anything.

Thanks so much to everyone for the input. I really think just the idea that I had options (for example finding another attorney even at this stage) allowed me to relax enough so the universe (or BK gods, or whoever) could step in and get things going. What a relief it will be if we can get it "done".

I think the Trustee himself is a decent guy. I heard him make some comments when I was in court that made me think he had some sympathy for the debtors. But we are working with one of his assistants, who is just a small man with way too much power.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum - the info here is invaluable.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X