statue of limitations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

statue of limitations?

I have a creditor that filed a claim on a debt that is probably over 12 years old, it is AT&T and I don't even remember having that phone number, does anyone know if the statue of limitations will apply for that and can I use that as a reason to file an objection to the claim? I filed pro-se and really have not researced, thought I would ask on this forum since I have gotten alot of great info in the past, thanks in advance!

Originally posted by lbrown View Post
    I have a creditor that filed a claim on a debt that is probably over 12 years old, it is AT&T and I don't even remember having that phone number, does anyone know if the statue of limitations will apply for that and can I use that as a reason to file an objection to the claim? I filed pro-se and really have not researced, thought I would ask on this forum since I have gotten alot of great info in the past, thanks in advance!
    Pssssst . . . . . it's statute.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Generally speaking - 4 years.
      Is it ATT or a CA calling you ?
      CA's know the statute of limitations, but will try anyways.

Comment

SOLs vary by state. But, 12 years is longer than any SOL I've ever heard of. What state are you in, lbrown?

ETA: I just love the acronym "SOL" since if the SOL has expired they are SOL.
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I am in AL, I was shocked when I first saw this, they are not on my credit report and I have not recieved a phone call from anyone, I am going to file the objection next week, it had me nervous because I just got confirmed on the 24th and according to PACER they filed on the 26th.

Comment

Shocked! Verizon filed a claim for over $6000 from 14 years ago when they thought my Chapter 7 was an asset case. (I was marked asset because I was a converted Chapter 13, and the Trustee hadn't done his "no asset" report yet.) I have a couple of Amex claims from over 20 years ago. Fun stuff.

The not-so-funny part is that the Verizon claim was probably for phone service and only a few hundred dollars.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
              Shocked! Verizon filed a claim for over $6000 from 14 years ago when they thought my Chapter 7 was an asset case. (I was marked asset because I was a converted Chapter 13, and the Trustee hadn't done his "no asset" report yet.) I have a couple of Amex claims from over 20 years ago. Fun stuff.

The not-so-funny part is that the Verizon claim was probably for phone service and only a few hundred dollars.
              LOL! Those are some fees and interest that they added!

Comment

Looks like a 6 year SOL.

LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I guess they see Pro-Se, and think they can get away with it but, thanks to all the experts on this forum, they are wrong!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X