Good news, Bad news and a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news, Bad news and a question...

So good news is that I received an unexpected bonus (about $600 after taxes) from work. I placed the money in a savings account anticipating that the trustee "may" ask for it after reviewing my tax return/w2 info at the end of the year (paperwork from trustee stated that yearly tax returns/w2 sent to him after filing and he will "let me know" if I need to send any extra).

now the Bad news, my son had to be taken to the ER Sunday night and had to spend 2 nights in the hospital, then I had to have a necessary surgery today, totaling over $1000 in out of pocket hospital bills in a week. (on top of this we have a baby due in a few weeks which isn't bad news, but more medical bills)

So I am planning on consulting my attorney about this tomorrow but wanted see if I could get some opinions here tonight.

My question is can I get away with putting the bonus money towards the medical bills instead of potentially giving to the trustee.

Second question, just thinking ahead as things at work are potentially getting rocky (for the company as a whole). If something happened and I had to convert to a chapter 7 would it still only include debt incurred up to the date I filed 13?

Of course your lawyer has the final word, but I'm betting he/she is going to tell you that since the bonus came after filing and the medical expenses came after filing, it's ok to use the $500 to pay your medical bills.

I hope you and your son are both doing all right now. Good luck with the coming baby as well! After the baby comes, do touch base with your lawyer about amending your plan to reflect your increased family size and additional living and medical expenses caused by the baby coming.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

If you convert to a chapter 7 you can treat debts incurred post filing up to the conversion date as if they occurred just before the filing date.
      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
        If you convert to a chapter 7 you can treat debts incurred post filing up to the conversion date as if they occurred just before the filing date.
        There goes catleg giving away all my secrets!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X