Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chapter 13 discharging soon questions!

Hello everyone,
    I have some questions about my chapter 13 bankruptcy. Ok first things first my bankruptcy payments are done after September of this year, and I was wondering what else needed to be done prior to my final payment? In September I will be getting married, is there anything my soon to be wife should be worried about? We've already discussed that she might have to be in her own for the home loan for a few years. It would be a shame to mess up her 700+ credit score because of me. Also we've talked about me getting a new car after my bk and she might if she has to cosign with me, what are my odds of getting a new car? I looked last year and my score was 640. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by bknobueno; 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM.

First, congrats on being almost to the finish line! It's one of the toughest things, to get through a Chapter 13 successfully. If you are getting married at the end of your plan your new wife should have nothing to worry about. In fact, you may be able to jointly get that mortgage sooner than you think. Lenders are much more forgiving after a Chapter 13 than a 7 because it shows you did successfully pay some of your debt (if not all of your debt). The new car you should be able to get on your own after discharge, but may get a better rate with her as a co-signer. Good luck!
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

If you haven't already, to be safe please share with your lawyer about your coming wedding (congrats!) and the planned dates. He/she will know if there are any potential issues around your bankruptcy. Best wishes to you and your soon-to-be bride!
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

What kind of problems could there be?

Comment

Oh and by the way thank you guys for the responses and the congrats, I'm very excited!

Comment

Don't forget to take your post-filing class if you haven't already. And, make sure the declaration of completion of the course has been filed.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X