The BOA miracle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The BOA miracle

Last Saturday, we received correspondence from our attorney that indicated that the Chapter 13 trustee motioned to have our bankruptcy dismissed because we did not make payments on a timely basis. In fact, we were a month behind. Talk about panic! My spectacular attorney said no worries, don't panic and we will fix this. We scheduled an appointment to meet with him on Thursday.

Anyway, the miracle occurred Thursday afternoon. My wife called me at work and said we received a FEDEX letter from BOA. My initial thought was uh oh. We were behind with them as well on our second mortgage and they were going to seek Chapter 13 dismissal as well. Talk about watching your life crumble in front of your eyes.

The miracle. My wife read the letter to me and then I had her read it to me again. BOA in an effort to help its customers and provide you with sustainable home ownership has cancelled your entire second mortgage(all $98,000 of it) and we were no longer required to make any further payments. Are you kidding? As it turns out, the letter was legit and our attorney congratulated us on winning the lottery.

Apparently, BOA (along with four other major lenders) had been sued by the US DOJ (and 48 states) for faulty mortgage practices and had agreed to set aside $5 billion dollars as part of a settlement. In fact, 150,000 BOA customers received the same letter that we did. We will now be able to catch up with the trustee without a plan amendment and some degree of normalcy has returned to our household. I am hoping that there are many more Bankruptcy Forum members that get to share similar stories to this.

It's nice to finally catch a break and I am wishing the best for anyone else who has been struggling.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 10-06-2012, 07:05 AM. Reason: make post easier to read.

Congrats! That must be a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

Comment

well, all i can say is: it's about TIME these banks started to dish out some the monies they were given to help save people's homes.

congrats to you!!
      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Wow!!

Congratulations on that one, and yes you did hit the lottery as someone else mentioned

So what are you going to do about your ch13 case?
        Chp 13: Filed 3/26/2007

11/5/2012 - 68 Months and finally free!

Comment

I am impressed!!! Congratulations!

Comment

I recevied the same letter regarding my HELOC. But I had already had it stripped by my attorney, so it was moot. That's after I had paid the attorney extra for the motion to strip. Oh well...it was still a thrill to get the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdav View Post
              I recevied the same letter regarding my HELOC. But I had already had it stripped by my attorney, so it was moot. That's after I had paid the attorney extra for the motion to strip. Oh well...it was still a thrill to get the letter.
              It's not really moot. You have to complete the plan to finalize the strip. What if you loose your job and can't complete your plan? I wouldn't ignore that letter if I were you, no matter how certain I was that I would complete my plan.
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

In the letter it states that I don't need to do anything if I accept the forgiveness. I don't have it with me but that's basically what the phrase used was. I sent it to my attorney who agrees with me that the HELOC is forgiven without me a having to do anything. But excellent point you are making...I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                  It's not really moot. You have to complete the plan to finalize the strip. What if you loose your job and can't complete your plan? I wouldn't ignore that letter if I were you, no matter how certain I was that I would complete my plan.
                  B of A says that the loan will be forgiven and the lien will be removed from the title. If he can convert and move on, more power to him. If he is only in the 13 to strip the lien, then the only reason he is there has been removed.

Comment

Omgosh I hope I get a letter too! Crossed fingers! Wouldn't that just be the best in the world???
                    Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

From what I understand, the mortgages they are forgiving are all of the country wide 2nd's they bought that are underwater and have been in default over a year.

Comment

Shoot, I haven't paid on mine in about 3-1/2 years. I do hope they can find it.
                        11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Mine is with Chase. Probably not in program forgiveness.
                          Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

anyone know if Citi was in on this?
                            Got behind with mortgage due to high risk pregnancy. Went through nightmare with Citimortgage trying to modify loan and they started foreclosure. Filed BK 13 ONE day before sale date of house. Feeling nervous but hopeful

Comment

Citi is part of the National Mortgage Settlement along with Bank of America, Ally/GMAC, JP Morgan Chase and Wells Fargo. Google "National Mortgage Settlement" or check your state Attorney General's website for information.
                              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X