Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condo rental?

Hi Everyone,

I'm putting in an application for a condo rental today. Fingers crossed I get it. I wrote up an explanation of my current situation (divorce and joint Ch. 13) to attach with my application.

If I convert to Ch. 7 or even separate the Ch. 13 plan can my potential new landlord evict me based on that?

Thanks!

Check the lease you sign, it would have to be spelled out in it.

Overall though, as long as you make timely payments why on earth would they evict you? Landlords are not in the habit of randomly checking for new bankruptcies and evicting paying tenants based on that.

My fingers will be crossed for you as well. Best of luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the support. I'm so nervous that I'm going to get rejected again even though I was completely honest about the bk upfront. I have everything else in my favor except for this one (huge) thing.

Comment

Unless the lease provides otherwise, your filing Chapter 7 does not terminate the lease. You can actually "assume" the lease in the Chapter 7 by doing so on your Statement of Intentions and, perhaps, signing a reaffirmation agreement (not always necessary). I would not worry so much. As long as you're paying and you do not reject the lease, you should be fine.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Why does it take so long to make a decision? They sent all my info to the owner of the condo for review yesterday....still waiting. I guess no news is good news.

Comment

The owner asked to increase the rent an extra $25/month for my 2nd dog and asked for a $500 pet deposit. I immediately agreed to those terms and my realtor requested a lease, but they are still showing the property. The bk hasn't come up at all. They didn't deny me right off the bat, so I guess that's a good sign, but I feel like they are stringing me along. Is it typical for the owner to still show the property and accept other applications after I've submitted mine (and I gave them an earnest money deposit)?

Thanks!

Comment

Does the condo owner have dogs?. Dogs in a condo complex can be a sensitive issue sometimes. Even though he is requesting extra money for the dogs, I tend to think he prefers not to deal with them and he is possibly holding out for a candidate without dogs

Comment

BRTB,

I am going to give you the only advice I have which is to go with the flow. If it was meant to be they will rent to you, if not, I have no doubt you will find something at least as good if not better!!

Having said that, I know it is hard, especially in your case where you want to get away from your ex and his gf. I tell my wife the same thing while she is searching for a new job. If one doesn't want you, another will.

Do you have anything you enjoy doing to take your mind off the worry about the rental? I personally like to read epic fantasy (hence the screen name) and I find it does a pretty good job of distracting me. I also tend to bury myself in new projects at work as a way to get my mind off things.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed for you on this rental, but know if it does not happen something else equally good or even better will. I promise!!

Comment

I got approved!!! Just waiting to sign the lease. I'm nervous, excited, and a little sad all at the same time. Now I can cross "finding a new place to live" off my list. Next up, convert to Ch. 7

Comment

Awesome!! Great news!!

Comment

so happy for you!! now you can take a breath and relax!
                      8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Hooray!!!!!

Comment

Yay for you, brtb! Yay!
                          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X