When exactly does it end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When exactly does it end

I'm nearing the end of my plan and didn't see answers to my specific questions in the sticky.

1. When exactly does the plan end: after 60 total payments? My first attorney had me start making payments before confirmation; those do count, right?

2. My payments are withheld from my check. Does the trustee automatically stop these? Do I get a refund if they don't stop after 60?

3. When do I take the exit course? How long does it take?

4. If I've completely paid but I am still waiting for official discharge would I need court approval to take out a car loan or get a credit card? (No I'm not going to be stupid & get myself back in debt but I am going to rebuild credit responsibly!)

You're not going to like most of my answers, but here we go...

Originally posted by Staceyt View Post
    1. When exactly does the plan end: after 60 total payments? My first attorney had me start making payments before confirmation; those do count, right?
    I believe that in Louisiana, it is 60 total payments. In some Districts, like Michigan, it is 60 payments after confirmation. The majority of the Districts run the time from your first payment made under the Plan.

2. My payments are withheld from my check. Does the trustee automatically stop these? Do I get a refund if they don't stop after 60?
    This is entirely dependent on which District you are in and maybe even which Trustee you have. You will receive a refund if they keep taking money, but it can be a pain of a process! (Trust me... been there, done that, received over $13,000 in over withheld funds!) Your attorney can tell you exactly how this works in your specific District.

3. When do I take the exit course? How long does it take?
    It's a financial management course and you must take it before the discharge comes up. Some Trustees like you to get this course done real early. In one District in Florida, the Chapter 13 Trustee is particularly nice and offers that class for free on the same day as the 341 Meeting of Creditors! Very nice if you ask me. Some attorneys have already charged the fee for this class in their flat rate and would give you a special code to take the online class without additional payment. I do not know if your Attorney does that. You may want to talk to you attorney as they may have discounts and certainly will make sure you take the course from the "correct" authorized provider.

4. If I've completely paid but I am still waiting for official discharge would I need court approval to take out a car loan or get a credit card? (No I'm not going to be stupid & get myself back in debt but I am going to rebuild credit responsibly!)
    Most Chapter 13 Plans read that you can't incur debt during the term of the Plan. That means that you should be okay after Discharge. However, I would wait a few months to get the discharge marked on your credit report. I would also think that you would do some "spring cleaning" by going through your credit reports and making sure everything is marked correctly. I'd give it 90 days after discharge so that you would get "appropriate" rates. (Some people come out of Chapter 13 with fantastically high scores in the upper 600s.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Nah your answers weren't bad. I took a class in the beginning. I wonder if I'm required to take another?

I've already been working on my reports. Several of my credit cards are still showing positive balances even though they supposedly should've dropped to zero once I filed.

I initially started this fiasco with my (now-ex) husband. We ended up having our cases severed and his was dismissed while I'm still paying mine. One of the agencies is showing BOTH cases on my report. I'm not sure how (or if) it is impacting my score but I'm working to remove the original case.

In case anyone is curious I'm sitting at a 637 middle score with 6 months to go (based on the scored lenders use for mortgages).

Comment

You are required to take two classes. The first is the debt management class (a/k/a the "first" class required to file) and the second is the "financial" management class (a/k/a the "second" class required for discharge).

I received a 50-point bump when I received my (Chapter 7) discharge.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you haven't taken the 2nd course, take it now. You can take it immediately after you file BK and are supposed to take it before your last plan payment is due. You might as well get it out of the way now.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yeah just get er done! ;-)
            Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X