top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

§523(a)(7) and §523(a)(19) \ §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) used in the same case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

§523(a)(7) and §523(a)(19) \ §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) used in the same case?

We had just finished a three year litigation battle with a state regulatory agency. We won the discharge on the restitution portion of a debt under §523(a)(19) and §523(a)(19)(b)(iii). However, we were not so lucky under the penalty portion of the debt under §523(a)(7).

We are preparing to file an appeal after a ruling from a bankruptcy court who allowed a creditor to make argument to re-litigate their same claims under a bankruptcy provision of §523(a)(7) after this same bankruptcy court ruled the creditors original argument were inapplicable and discharged under §523(a)(19) and §523(a)(19)(b)(iii).

The question the court asked if there are any published case law that allow or disallow a court to allow a creditor to bring a secondary bankruptcy provision in the same case after the case had already been ruled?

In the summary judgment motion prepared by the creditor within the re-litigation they admitted there are no published case law that shows a case has ever used §523(a)(7) after §523(a)(19) and §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) had been ruled inapplicable and discharged. The Debtors agree with their research that there are no publish cases that allows any penalty provision of §523(a)(7) to come in an scoop up the "very same penalties".

The court however felt like the case law of Sherman gave the SEC the advice through a panel which said the SEC had more tools available to them than simply §523(a)(19) referring to §523(a)(7) if it was litigated outside of the bankruptcy court. Please note that the Sherman case never used §523(a)(7) and the SEC lost their case with their §523(a)(19) argument. The Sherman case went all the way to the ninth circuit court of appeals. If the SEC had the option to use §523(a)(7) after they lost their case, don't you think they would have done so? In the case at hand there was no court hearing or trial outside of the bankruptcy court.

The court also referenced the McClung case which in the McClung court their original question was if the creditor who was an state regulatory agency was considered to be a creditor by status. Their court gave an answer to their question; which was, yes, and their court said the creditor had all rights to use any provision under §523(a)? However, that does not mean that the state regulatory agency had the right to bring a §523(a)(7) claim after the court ruled §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) inapplicable. In the McClung court when the court answered their original question no claims had been filed.

Keep in mind we are not arguing the combination of multiple bankruptcy provisions being used at the beginning of a case. §523(a)(2),(a)(4), and (a)(6) are often combined with §523(a)(7). However, §523(a)(19) \ §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) have never been combined with §523(a)(7) in the same case. So looking at the behavior of case law studies it shows it cannot be done. The question is if there is case law out there that says it cannot be done? We are looking for such case law.

Here is the problem the court looked at these two above cases and said did the creditor have the option to use §523(a)(7) and §523(a)(19) together. – We feel that the court made an manifest error of law because the court was not looking at the question did they have the option to bring §523(a)(7) and §523(a)(19) together after the judge ruled after §523(a)(19) and §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) were ruled inapplicable.

Should the court have given the creditor a second byte at the apple and allowed litigation under a different provision of the law?

To be clear we want to debate:

Is there case law that prevents a creditor from using §523(a)(7) after §523(a)(19) and §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) have been ruled discharged?

Is there case law that clearly states a court cannot make one provision of the bankruptcy code meaningless by first ruling one penalty provision §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) inapplicable and then using another penalty provision (a)(7) to be non-dischargeable. This court made the first provision of §523(a)(19)(b)(iii) meaningless because he ignored his own ruling and opened the door to another penalty provision but is there case law that says the court is not allowed to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you're going to get many responses here. While this is a debtor forum, we do have a couple of attorneys that frequent (including despritfreya who also participates on other legal forums). If you're having trouble finding caselaw, others are likely to reach the same conclusion -- that there isn't any caselaw on point.

Best of luck to you.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I am in an all day seminar. I will give this a good look over the weekend.

Des.

Comment

Unfortunately, your fact pattern is too in-depth for me to give any semblance of a good answer. Quite honestly, the few times we came up on an (a)(19) argument the clients were referred to a securities attny.

My gut tells me that if the debtor owes a fine or penalty to a governmental unit it is simply non-dischargeable under (a)(7) regardless of a finding that it is not the type of a claim that rises to the level of a violation of securities law (or fraud, deceit or manipulation in connection with the purchase or sale of securities) under (a)(19).

Should the initial complaint have pled both (a)(7) and (a)(19)? Probably. Was such compulsory? I don’t think so since there is no time limit for seeking a determination under (a)(7) or (a)(19).

I wish I could be of some assistance but such is a bit beyond the scope of this kind of an Internet Forum. It does however sound like you have very competent counsel (or, if you are doing this pro se, you are well educated) so my guess is that you will argue persuasively.

Des.

Comment

Much appreciated on your comments. I am not a lawyer but over the past five years I have read so much bankruptcy law and case law and with counsel I have argued specifics within a specialize area of the law. I feel pretty good on arguing the law. However, usually my focus is on the investigation of the law and I decided it is time to become active in different forums so I can share some knowledge and continue to see if there are other people that have ran across certain items that I have not been able to find as of yet. For example, I know this issue will go in front of the BAP panel and potentially up to the ninth circuit because it is an area that is not really addressed but should be addressed to have a clear answer. How exciting would it be for people in this forum to give comments on this subject before the BAP panel reviews this case?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X