Question on what government debt counts as a priority debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on what government debt counts as a priority debt

I know tax liens and fines counts as priority debts, but how about money owed to municipal agencies like fire departments? Say, the debtor owes money to the local fire department for transport to a hospital. Does that count as a priority debt?

chp7man any debt owed to a governmental unit that is a tax and is not more than 1 year old, is typically priority debt. Tax debt can be discharged if it doesn't have priority. As you already mentioned a lien would make it a secured debt. Whether or not a ride in the ambulance is a "compensation for a pecuniary loss" is a legal question that I can't answer. I personally believe that the cost to ride in an ambulance is to cover a pecuniary loss and is "not" a fine so I would tend to think it's dischargeable.

Maybe despritfreya has an answer for you.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      chp7man any debt owed to a governmental unit that is a tax and is not more than 1 year old, is typically priority debt. Tax debt can be discharged if it doesn't have priority. As you already mentioned a lien would make it a secured debt. Whether or not a ride in the ambulance is a "compensation for a pecuniary loss" is a legal question that I can't answer. I personally believe that the cost to ride in an ambulance is to cover a pecuniary loss and is "not" a fine so I would tend to think it's dischargeable.

Maybe despritfreya has an answer for you.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X