Qualification of Chapter 7 Over median income. Help with Form 22A-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qualification of Chapter 7 Over median income. Help with Form 22A-2

WOW so happy to have found this board. I’m hoping someone can help with a means test questions. As a side note we’ve met with two different bankruptcy attorneys recently. However, neither will run our numbers in the long form means FORM 22A-2 as our median income is over $67,539.00 (FL Median for a family of four).
    Our income for the last 6 months is:
    Husband 13,406.61
    Wife 23, 044.43
    Total: 36,451.04
    Annual income based on the figure above: 72,902.08
    Business expenses – 90.00 per month (cell and internet). Husband works from as a contract employee.
    Over Median income by 5,363.08
    However we have the following expenses for healthcare that come directly from check and have for years.
    This break down is monthly
    Dental 26.00
    Flex Medical 84.00
    Health Ins 715.82
    St. Disab. 16.00
    Life ins 38.00
    401k 200.00
    We have the following secured debt we plan on keeping.
    Mtg balance 104,000.00, payment 690.00
    Car 1 balance 8,138.95, actual payment 330.01
    Car 2 balance 14,200.00, actual payment 442.00
    Attorney one seemed pretty confident we could do a chapter 7, but he could not file as it was a conflict of interest with one of the creditors. Attorney two seemed to think we’d be pushed into a 13.
    I’ve ran the numbers in the Means test long form and used only the amounts allowed by the IRS, taxes, pay deductions and the secured debt mentioned above (balance of the debt over 60) and I come out that we’re about -1,100 a month. That would clearly makes eligible for a 7 and should do so without any red flags.
    The second attorney will not do the means test until the retainer is paid in full and is non-refundable. He said we can use it towards a 13...I'm just not sure if he's pushing more a 13 than a 7..
    We not do plan on filing till November and my husband’s income a little and should be below 72,000.00 a year…
    Anyone with experience care to share your thoughts and it you’d think we would qualify?

There are some attorneys that "prefer" Chapter 13s over Chapter 7s. There are also over exuberant attorneys that just love Chapter 7. You'll want someone who has done this for some time and is comfortable with looking at your case and doing the right thing (not the easiest thing). That being said, you can't expect too much from the free consults. They know that some people just "shop" their case so that they can, themselves, file the case later pro se. That should not stop an attorney from being forthcoming.

In any event, you are about 3 attorneys short of truly shopping your case. Find an attorney that makes you feel comfortable.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Just so you know, the 401k deduction is not allowed on the means test and unless it is a mandatory contribution. But, if your DMI is -1,100 including that as a deduction, that isn't going to make a difference.

I agree with justbroke. Consult with more attorneys until you find one you are comfortable with. And don't be surprised if none of them will runt he means test. It is a huge part of the work of filing a Chap 7 and not many attorneys will run it for free and give you a guaranty that you are eligible for a Chap 7 without first being paid.

A lot of people with over-median income get Chap 7 discharges. Keep in mind that passing the means test does not guaranty a Chap 7 discharge. If your actual income and expenses on schedules I/J result in you having more disposable income than on the means test, the US Trustee could object to a Chap 7 based on the totality of circumstances. So, try filling out those forms using your actual expenses, averaged over 12 months.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I do think you can quality for Chapter 7. see some more attorneys. Figure out why they think you can't qualify for Chapter 7, show them the math you did to qualify and find out where the disconnect is. Maybe they don't understand your situation fully or maybe you don't understand what expenses you can and cannot use in your situation.

Comment

Thank you for the responses. We're meeting with another attorney on Wednesday.

Comment

After meeting with a third attorney we've decided to retain attorney #2. We dropped off all of our paperwork and the full retainer yesterday. NoW we wait for them to do the paperwork and see how we really do on the means test.

We're looking to actual file in late Nov.

Comment

Good luck!
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Update. Chapter 7 filed today....

Comment

Yay! Did the numbers point to an easy Chap 7 or a border line one?

Comment

Easy chapter 7 nothing about it was borderline. Did have to do the long form means test as our income is over.

Comment

Excellent! I wish you a speedy discharge!

Comment

Discharge granted today

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X