top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why hoard non-perishable food pre-bankruptcy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why hoard non-perishable food pre-bankruptcy?

I am brand new to this experience and these boards. I'm wondering what the rationale is for stocking the pantry and freezer prior to filing. Many thanks!

Well, if the zombie apocalypse happens, you'll be prepared.

But seriously, the way it's been explained to me is that if you have a lot of cash on hand, the trustee might take it as an asset to distribute, unless you can exempt it. And exemptions vary widely by state. On the other hand, food is a household item, easier to exempt, and even if not exempted, the trustee can't sell your stash of green beans for very much money, so it's not worth the trustee's time.

Comment

As the above poster already alluded to, keeping your home well-stocked with non-perishable foods, cases of bottled water, etc. is ALWAYS a smart move, especially in today's uncertain political and economic environment. A massive economic collapse, natural disaster, or insurrection/rioting could result in severe shortages of food and water, and the wise man will be prepared. Also, having the necessary tools to keep rioters and looters at bay would also be smart.

In a bankruptcy context, food, medicine, and other household items are generally exempt, so if you have money in the bank above and beyond your state's exemption amount, you should spend it on things that are exempt before you file. In addition to food, medicine, and clothing, most states also allow you to exempt one or more firearms, which would surely come in handy in the event of a disaster scenario.

Comment

I doubt the trustee is going to come and take your food! hahaha

Comment

Please don't give the Trustees any ideas! As has already been well stated by Vandervecken and bcohen, it's just a smart thing to do to have sufficient resources and the Trustee isn't going to raid your refrigerator.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X