About to file, a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to file, a few questions

I will verify with the attorney just haven't signed the agreement yet and I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer.

I am an authorized user on 3 of my moms credit cards (citibank, bank of america and JC Penny. They are AU NOT joint accounts.

I am not planning on telling my mom I am fiiling and just want to make sure it will not affect her. I keep reading conflicting information. It DOES show on my credit report but as an authorized user.

Since it is on my credit report do I have to list it? I think no but have heard conflicting reports.

My other issue is I am worried down the line my company may add me to a company card? will that be an issue? Obviously I would rather they not know.

There should be nothing conflicting about this. As an authorized user you are not legally responsible so you have no "interest" in the account. That means that you do not list them on your schedules because they are quite simply not a creditor. There is one exception and that may be American Express since they hold the account holder and each cardholder jointly responsible.

For company credit cards it is not typically an issue unless you may have included one of their card products in a prior bankruptcy. The only company that I have had problems with is... American Express.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks. I keep hearing to have it removed from my report but why doesn't it help?

it's BOA, Cities and JCP Penney no Amex

Comment

Originally posted by Leesa926 View Post
        Thanks. I keep hearing to have it removed from my report but why doesn't it help?

it's BOA, Cities and JCP Penney no Amex
        Have it removed? Where have you learned this?

So long as the account holder themselves do not miss payments, mishandle the account, default on the account and/or file bankruptcy, being an AU has certain benefits! This is especially important when you emerge after your discharge since you will receive the benefit of the account holder's account longevity (age of account), utilization rate (percentage of credit used), and credit limits. Quite simply, this improves your score better than not being an AU.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Bring an authorized user on my non-filing husband's card has definitely helped me rebuild, for all the reasons KB points out. And my BK had no negative impact on him. You may want to ask your mother to let you know if she ever has problems making payments.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks my mother has perfect credit hence why I don't want her to know about my filing. it's just strange that I have heard from two attorneys saying something about having it removed or not being an authorized user when I even mentioned I wouldn't have to claim it. wanted to make sure nothing changed on that front.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
              Bring an authorized user on my non-filing husband's card has definitely helped me rebuild, for all the reasons KB points out.
              I have been demoted. Now, I'm just a keyboard (KB). LOL

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                I have been demoted. Now, I'm just a keyboard (KB). LOL
                Ooops! That's what happens when I post using my phone.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X