Won a cruise post filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won a cruise post filing

I haven't had my 341 hearing yet . I won a cruise a couple of months ago and scheduled it for June . It will only cost port fees and taxes ($130pp) and my daughter is paying the fees . She will be my guest . Do I need to tell my trustee ? I'm filing chapter 7 and think it may all be over by the time I sail .

Blondie, I moved your post since you posted in a very old Chapter 13 thread (from 2010). You will have better success with responses by having created a new topic to discuss. (Please re-read the forum rules on posting to old threads. A general rule of thumb is that if you have a question which hasn't already been answered, then it's probably a new topic.)

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
    I haven't had my 341 hearing yet . I won a cruise a couple of months ago and scheduled it for June . It will only cost port fees and taxes ($130pp) and my daughter is paying the fees . She will be my guest . Do I need to tell my trustee ? I'm filing chapter 7 and think it may all be over by the time I sail .
    This would have been disclosed as an asset in your Chapter 7 schedules. The cruise has an average retail value and would have been listed with that value on the schedules. You may have enough in "wildcard" exemptions to cover the value of this asset. The Trustee may not even want it or be able to do anything with this asset as winnings are sometimes non-assignable and non-transferable (you can't sell or give it to someone else).

Are you represented by an attorney? If so, you should tell your attorney.

If you are not represented by an attorney, you may want to amend your schedules to include this asset and to, likewise, exempt it using an available exemption. I may also be weary of directly contacting the Trustee as they could pressure you to pay the value (if you have no exemption to protect the winnings). Also, you could list it as an asset, not exempt it, and see if the Trustee wants it (no, not to take a cruise for him/herself!).

Otherwise, this is a very good question! I wonder if despritfreya has had this in the past?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

JB's comments are stop on. When you say you won the cruise a couple of months ago I must assume that you either have not filed your bk or have just filed and became entitled to this trip prior to the filing date. If so then it is or will be an asset and must be disclosed on Schedule B. If you cannot exempt the asset your trustee has the right to attempt to market the rights to the trip. You really need to discuss this with a local bk attny to determine if you can keep the asset. Not worth screwing up your case over a cruise.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X