top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yikes! Mixed-up social security # - problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes! Mixed-up social security # - problem?

I have been using the wrong social security number on my accounts - including bank accounts - for many years.

The number is only wrong as to the last 2 numbers, for example: 999-00-9918instead of 999-00-9981.

This was due to the fact I did not have a social security card for many years, I just wrote it from memory and my memory mixed up the last 2 numbers. (I'm also slightly dislexic when writing or typing numbers). In fact this was even the case on my employment record, they were putting my social security tax in a different account! On another note, I even had a problem with this once at the passport office, the Feds called me in to see what was up, and I was able to straighten it all out, I had the right documents to show them.

As of about 6 years ago I noticed it was incorrect when I sent for a statement of my social security records. I provided the necessary documents and the Soc. Sec. office changed it officially and issued me a card.

Although I corrected it at work, for my soc. sec. payments - I did not change it to the correct number at my bank nor credit card accounts because I had so many accounts, I figured it would be a nightmare of bureaucracy and paperwork to change all of them, so I figured "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Had I known I was going to file bankruptcy, I would have corrected it, as now I am worried they could interpret this as fraud or some other technicality to get out of allowing me to file Ch. 7. But of course I didn't think of it.

What do I do now? Should I go ahead and correct the number with all my creditors before all my payments are overdue? (I have only just begun not to pay my creditors this month, and will have to wait 3 months before I file due to some purchases and transfers.) Or contact the credit reporting agencies and tell them, or what?

I have seen my credit report and they obviously do have all the correct info on me - my address, my employer, my phone, etc... it's only the ss# that is wrong. And although I will have to go look, as I recall they may have even noted something about my ss# being possibly wrong, as in having listed my real number next to the one on file...? But I don't recall for sure. I just remembered all this right now and so will have to look for all that stuff tomorrow or Monday when I have time.
    <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
    FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

I think it would be to your benefit to get it corrected. You could call each one up and mention that the SSN they have on file is not correct that the last 2 digits are transposed. They probably will require it in writing to though, but it would certainly be to your benefit to get it all corrected, and make the BK go much smoother I think .
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Alot of times on the credit report it will have a area of other ssn used or other names used and most of those acccounts are probally reported to the correct credit report but I would chage it before you file bk
      Last edited by familyof7; 07-07-2007, 07:10 PM.
      Sometimes life make you deal with ugly and hateful people ,just think of them as sand paper. They may scratch you and rub you the wrong way but eventually you end up smooth and polished and the sand paper becomes old and worn out.

Comment

Agree with JR - search out and change your SSN everywhere it is not correct before you file. Otherwise you could get some uncomfortable questioning from the trustee about why your SSN you list on your forms and show at your 341 doesn't match the SSN on some of the accounts you included.
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Dang! And here I thought all this was going without a hitch! Glad I remembered it, though. I've been using the two numbers so long, I just accepted it as "normal" and didn't think about it till now.

So should I contact each creditor (there must be 15-20 of them!) AND the credit bureaus?

Better to contact them now, though, before they all start hounding me for payments. So far, only one creditor has a past-due payment, so it shouldn't be too uncomfortable talking to them about this.
          Update after Discharge, a few months later:

I did what people here recommended: I corrected my social security number with all 3 credit bureaus via Certified Letters and followed up with them to make sure it was done. Experian took longer, and required more bureaucratic b.s.; the other 2 made the corrections quickly and easily.

Although one attorney I had consulted with advised me NOT to do this, most did advise it and the one I retained advised I do it plus he advised I send certified letters to EACH of my creditors re the change (with all of these I sent a copy of my social security card and copy of letter from social security stating the number was now correct and a copy of my driver's license).

After doing this I also called each creditor to Confirm that the social security number was now listed correctly with each account.

I was afraid this ss# issue might come up with the Trustee, or perhaps with a creditor who might use it as a way of Objecting to the discharge. However, that did not happen, all went well and there were no objections or questions from teh trustee regarding any debt.

I think that since my ss# mistake was of the nature of a "typo" (last 2 numbers reversed), it did not stir up any major problems. I think if you have a ss# that is a completely different number, then you might run into problems.
          Last edited by PaKettle; 03-15-2008, 02:09 PM. Reason: add info for clarity and usefulness
          <<I am NOT an attorney, my comments are anecdotal only. Contact an attorney for advice>>
          FINALLY DISCHARGED 92 DAYS AFTER THE 341! A NEW START!!!

Comment

I wouldn't notify each of them. On your bk paperwork it will ask for "any social security numbers you have used" That should be reports on the notice sent by the court...same as any other name used. My BK notice had like 6 names. Different versions of my maiden and married name that I had used over the years. I would report it there and let that be that. And in the future be sure and use the right number. But then again, I'm not an attorney. You shouldn't do anything like that until after you see your attorney.
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X