Insurance Premiums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance Premiums

We're getting ready to file on our own....can't afford attorney. but I just want to know.... if we stop paying our health and car insurance premiums, can't they cancel us?

If you stop paying your car insurance, and you have a lien on your car... then the lienholder can find you in breach of contract for failure to provide insurance... and summarily buy some for you. This will be the most expensive insurance you've ever seen too.

I would never suggest getting rid of car insurance unless you're getting rid of the car. Correction... unless you've already have gotten rid of the car.

What are you trying to do??? Save money?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Unless you owe them back payments there is no reason to list them in the bk.

I didn't list mine, Progressive was happy to keep taking payments. (For my car insurance)

Sadly I don't have Health Insurance haven't had it since 2005, just can't afford it on my own and where I work doesn't provide any.

I would keep both if you are able to as you'll need them if an emergency comes. (Assuming you can afford to).
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by clamp View Post
        We're getting ready to file on our own....can't afford attorney. but I just want to know.... if we stop paying our health and car insurance premiums, can't they cancel us?
        If you own the car free and clear, meaning there is no lienholder involved, can you possibly just keep liability insurance on it? It is much cheaper than full coverage, but that's only a suggestion if there is no lienholder involved. If you are still making payments on the car, then you will have to keep full coverage insurance. My daughter bought a '96' Nissan Sentra, that is in my name because she is only 17. I had to add it to my policy, since it is in my name and it only has comprehensive insurance on it, no collision. The comprehensive will cover theft, vandalism, hitting a deer, etc. Now if she was to have an accident that was her fault then the full coverage on my vehicle would kick in and take care of the other vehicle's damages. This was a suggestion from my insurance company, which is State Farm. They suggested this just for the fact that, if my daughter was involved in an accident. or her car was stolen, they would only give me book value for the vehicle, which probably isn't much.

Long story short, I wouldn't suggest driving without any type of car insurance.
        Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
        Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Most States require you to have at least liability or your drivers license is void. Health insurance is vital. Little true story, after Mrs. lost her job, we went on C.O.B.R.A.. Before I signed up for COBRA it was just too expensive but I could not get private insurance without going 18 months on COBRA. Here is what is not so funny. The LAST DAY to sign up, at 10:00 am I went online to sign up the continuing coverage. At 2:30 that same day, I did a stupid and attempted to make a hole in a counter top with a skill saw designed to be used in the right hand. It bucked and gutted me six inches across my belly and 2 1/2 inches deep. After a wonderful helicopter ride and three hours in surgery, the bill was well over 50K. Don’t think it can’t happen. It is too easy to get hurt and too expensive to NOT have medical insurance. ‘Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by clamp View Post
            If your state requires you to have car insurance on your vehicle and you have an accident or are stopped for speeding or any other issue and you cannot present an insurance card, you have a big problem. Also, if you have a lien on the vehicle and file, the lienholder will request a copy of proof of insurance if they do not receive it directly from the insurance company as the insurance company would usually send them proof of your insurance when you renew your policy. If you let it lapse, your insurance will cancel and your lienholder will not receive the usual information (or be informed by the insurance company that you cancelled) and will require you to obtain insurance per your agreement when you purchased the car.

If you stop paying your health insurance, it will be cancelled at the end of the period covered by your previous payment.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X