401k loan is my car loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

401k loan is my car loan

I'm so confused...I took out a 401k loan to pay for my car. It is a direct deduction from my paycheck. Does this figure anywhere into filing bk7?

Originally posted by Rumpole View Post
    I'm so confused...I took out a 401k loan to pay for my car. It is a direct deduction from my paycheck. Does this figure anywhere into filing bk7?

do you mean can you use it for the means test? Or do you mean does it discharged?

But here's what i know : A 401k loan is not dischargeable in BK; and most trustees do no allow for the payment to be included on your expenses.
    Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
    341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
    Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
    Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

I want to include it as an expense. Not discharge it.

Comment

here's the bad news not only can you NOT use that payment as a deduction. It can be counted as disposable income.
        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
        341 09/17/2008
        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
          here's the bad news not only can you NOT use that payment as a deduction. It can be counted as disposable income.
          Hey, TEW, can you look that fact up, for all of us? It is her/his monies and it is a loan against their own account, and could be taxible if defaulted. But, if the OP pays the car/loan what is the problem? It does take away from the general family funds as an expense. Only the creditor is her/him.

Good question for all of us and should be a "sticky". Prove this for us please, (I'm too tired). 'Hub and Mrs. C
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
            Hey, TEW, can you look that fact up, for all of us? It is her/his monies and it is a loan against their own account, and could be taxible if defaulted. But, if the OP pays the car/loan what is the problem? It does take away from the general family funds as an expense. Only the creditor is her/him.

Good question for all of us and should be a "sticky". Prove this for us please, (I'm too tired). 'Hub and Mrs. C
            Sure thing Hub
            http://www.thebklawyer.com/thebkblog...-calculations/
            That loan is not Debt is a loan of your own money that whats so bad about them.
            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
            341 09/17/2008
            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

401K loans are NOT debt in a BK. Thus, you cannot claim them as an expense.

Comment

Just so every one is clear - 401K loans *can* be counted as expenses if you file Ch 13 - at least in the 10th district. And the reason I'm so sure is because our case was the basis to create case law allowing it in our district
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget