top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is furniture, laptop, camera secured debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is furniture, laptop, camera secured debt?

I'm looking at my paperwork and it asks to list secured debts such as furniture? My furniture is a year and a half old, they're not going to want it are they? Or my laptop that's 8 months old?
    Filed Pro Se- 12/15/2009
    341- 2/17/2010
    DISCHARGED- 3/18/2010

It depends on how you purchased them. If you paid for them with a department store card (Rooms To Go, Best Buy, Home Depot, Jennifer Convertibles, etc), then they most likely are secured.

If you purchased them with a VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or similar type card, they are not secured.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

yeah I paid them with Ashley's Furniture, Best Buy, and Dell. They're really going to want old furniture that's been peed on, dog slobbered, eye liner written on?
      Filed Pro Se- 12/15/2009
      341- 2/17/2010
      DISCHARGED- 3/18/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ecsclb1724 View Post
        yeah I paid them with Ashley's Furniture, Best Buy, and Dell. They're really going to want old furniture that's been peed on, dog slobbered, eye liner written on?
        No, but they do have a valid lien (known as a purchase money security interest or PMSI). You can redeem (pay the current value for them), reaffirm (not a good idea at all!), or surrender (return them).

Most people will put, on their intentions, to surrender the items. Then they'll just wait it out to see how much the creditor really wants the junk.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

unless of course we add them into our exemptions right? what would used furniture market value even be?
          Filed Pro Se- 12/15/2009
          341- 2/17/2010
          DISCHARGED- 3/18/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ecsclb1724 View Post
            unless of course we add them into our exemptions right? what would used furniture market value even be?
            Yes, but you may be required to file a motion to avoid lien on them (in order to quash the lien). Work with your lawyer. S/he probably knows what they are doing.

Right, somethings about value just don't make sense, but trust me... Best buy, Rooms to Go and other creditors like that seem to think it's worth something.

Comment

In this same area, I have a laptop I purchased over a year ago with an HP card and still owe like $900 on it. This is the only working computer that I use and I use it for work as my desktop needs a new hard drive and won't even boot up. No laptop, no way to work. So could HP want the laptop back or do I need to reaffirm it so I can continue working on it?
              C in GA - Filed Chapter 7 Aug '09
              341 Hearing Oct 8, '09 - DONE

Comment

Technically, the laptop is likely secured dept but you probably do not want to bother re-affirming it. Chances are, HP won't want it back or will work with you. Desktop hard drives are dirt cheap right now, so keep that in mind too.

Comment

I wouldn't consider reaffirming those. I think the most I'd be willing to consider is a possible redemption if you don't want to take the chance on having to deal with those creditors later.
                  filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
                  341 meeting 6/4/09
                  DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

We had a visit from the furniture store repo guys recently. The corporate office knew we were filing but evidently didn't let the store know. DH told them we were in the process of a bk and they said let them know when it was all concluded. They were one of 2 creditors that had paperwork at our 341, but our atty said NOT to reaffirm, pay if we wanted and if we didn't just give it to them if they do show up again. As for the computer, they won't come get it.

Comment

In essence you need to read the agreements for the loans when you bought the items, if it mentions they have vested interest in it then technically it is secured.

However in most cases 18 month old furniture and an 8 month old laptop would not be picked up. Just indicate you'd like to surrender it. Then when they call after the discharge, tell them that you'll be available on date and at time and to come get it. 99% chance they won't come get it. (Unless it is like antique furniture or very expensive quality).
                      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I know someone who had a computer she was paying on with Sears and new furniture from Penneys and her lawyer told her it was unsecured debt and if they wanted it back thy'll show uup at the 341 and they never did and she still has the furniture but the computer crapped out years ago.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with a company called NewEgg? I have a credit account with them and back in March/April we bought about 2,700 in computer parts to repair our computers that US Postal service totally trashed in our move. The credit card is not listed on my credit report for some reason. What are the odds they will want their parts back? I did make a few payments on it before we filed.
                          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

NewEgg and any other computer company are not likely to want used computer parts back. What would they do with the used parts? It would cost them more to come and get them than they will be worth used.

How did you purchase the parts? With a typical credit card (Mastercard, Visa, etc) or did New Egg itself finance the purchase? As already noted in this thread, if a regular cc was used, then the purchase isn't secured anyway and you have nothing to worry about. Even if NewEgg did finance you so the parts may be secured (you would have to look at your original agreement to figure this out), then again, the chances of them wanting used computer parts back is about the same as a meteor hitting your house today
                            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Hehe... yea it was through my NewEgg Preferred account. I was just curious if anybody had dealt with them directly. I'm also hoping they don't dispute it since it was back in March/April...

I was actually surprised this creditor wasn't listed on my credit report.

But yea I guess you're right... besides computer parts are obsolete 2 weeks after you buy them

And dude... I would love it if a meteor hit my condo... but not if the renters were at home... that would just be bad.
                              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                              Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X