Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from 341...didn't go well...

Haha!!! Gotcha ya to click on my thread!! Just kidding

Here's the run down, pretty painless like I anticipated.
    Got there really early, went through security, including taking off the shoes (thanks for the heads up 'Relief', I wore flats ) Lots of really nervous people there, I checked the court docket (outside the room) and it had everyone listed and their attorney's name...I was soooo nervous, because I saw THREE of the attorneys I consulted with and I didn't want to run into them (they had told me that I only qualified for a ch 13 and here I was trying for a ch 7 !) We were "shuffled" in the room like cattle and seated, the Trustee introduced himself and gave us instructions on what was going to happen and what to expect. He didn't seem mean, just "by the book" a no nonsense kinda guy. I sat front and center wanting to hear the other people that were going before me (my husband said it was rude...). My attorney finally arrived and didn't recognize me because I hadn't been calling/bugging/or changing anything on my petition all this time (), immediately the other people he was representing ran up to him and he was speaking to them in the back of the room. 1st up couple had a young attorney up there with them (probably not the original attorney, just a rep for the law firm, he looked confused), they were missing tax refunds. The "young attorney" argued that the info had been faxed, but had no documentation...Trustee wasted no time and continued the 341 July 20th. Next up, tattooed biker dude and his wife (he wore shorts and tank and flip flops), Trustee asks the standard questions, everything correct in your petition?, did you read your petition?, etc. Just when it was almost over...Trustee asks biker dude, "I noticed you sold your Harley for $20k in March of '09...what did you do with the money?" Bike dude: "Paid Bills" Trustee: "when was the 1st time you consulted with your attorney?" Biker dude: "uh...June I think (Ding! Wrong answer! Oh no!)..." Bike Wife: "uh...I think it was in March or May" They couldn't think fast enough...their attorney jumps in and says that his clients sold it BEFORE they consulted with him in, Trustee interupts him and says to attorney, "let THEM answer"...case continued until bike dude and wife can come up with the same timeline...(doesn't sound good).

The lady sitting next looked like a homeless person on crack, her hair was a mess, her clothes were mismatched and falling apart and her shoes were dirty, she had a notepad and papers everywhere (totally disorganized). She was licking her hand and rubbing her pants, trying to get out a stain on her pants! UGH! A few more cases went up and then the Trustee calls another case, homeless lady jumps up and says, "I'm their representation!"....WHAT THE HECK?!? SHE'S AN ATTORNEY?!? They get up there (her client looks to be this really nice older gentlemen who is VERY nervous ), she fumbles around with paperwork, the Trustee informs her that she's missing some stuff in the petition (probably in her shopping cart outside the back alley!) and he doesn't have the time to wait for her to "get it together", continued to July 20th...poor client was sooo confused and I think he wanted to strangle her!

The Trustee calls out our names and our attorneys name. Our attorney walks up and starts joking with the Trustee, "long time, no see, haha!" Stuff like that...okay, makes me feel at ease now (the other cases before us, the Trustee was VERY serious and the cases were continued!). We were asked the 'standard questions', nothing more, I was bracing myself because we were over the median by 21k, unsecured debt over 100k (72k in cc debt alone), keeping house and new cars and SL of $74k. Lasted about 2-3 minutes and the Trustee said, "good luck" and we were out of there! Our appt was at 1:00 and were were leaving the court house by 1:20!!!! WhooooHoooo!!!! The count down begins!!!!

Unfortunately, I did not see any Rolexes, Gucci bags, fancy shoes or flashy diamonds...everyone dressed pretty normal for this 341. There was this one huge pregnant lady standing next to me with 2 small kids, her attorney walked up and started talking to her. She asked her attorney, "I wore the tightest shirt I could find...do I look pathetic enough?!? The kids had their "long faces on"...right on cue...

May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

I loved that post! I wish I could find many more like this. Thanks for sharing that story. This gives me a good idea what I should be expecting in the future.

Comment

LOL! Loved your story. I was captivated til the very end. Glad everything went well!!
      Filed BK on 3/27/09
      341 Meeting 4/29/09
      Discharged and closed 6/30/09!!!!!!

Comment

Liz! I must say you really got me on this when I first clicked. I was like "oh no" it didn't go well. Anyways, glad to hear it went well!
        Filing: 4/10/2009, 341: 5/18/2009
        Last day for objections: 7/17/2009
        Discharge: 7/29/2009

Comment

Nice. Welcome to the sixty day club.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Glad it went well! Welcome to the 60 day club!
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Glad we found that attourney. remember what I told you his wife said ??
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Oh my goodness, I pictured all of those characters with that story! Too funny!

Glad it went well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                  Glad we found that attourney. remember what I told you his wife said ??
                  Gawd, I'm turned on by her....

LIZ!!!!! don't do it again. My heart was in my throat when you put your title in. I could not imagine..........

'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Liz,

Great Story!

You had me scared in the title because im like "oh no" this could be me. Then I was happy when everything went well for you. Im going to be about the same median income over than like you so you give me hope.

I can picture all those people. Thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Hey Liz - So happy for ya. I first seen the title and thought OMG!!!!!!!!!!
                      Loved the story...LOL. Congrats...........

Comment

Girl - are you trying to scare the **** out of me???
                        I knew everything would be fine.
                        Welcome to the 60-day club.
                        Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                        341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                        Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

Welcome to the club :o)
                          Filed: 5/7/2009 :cry: 341: 6/9/2009 :yahoo:
                          Discharged: 8/12/2009 :clapping::clapping::clapping:
                          My advice is based on personal experience only

Comment

I was scared too.....well I'm always scared.....LOL Good story.....glad it worked out for you. One question.......once you get through the hearing......how is anyone sure they will get a discharge? Will anything else come up???? Maybe the wrong place to post this....
                            filed June 12,09
                            341 July 20,09
                            deadline to object Sept 18,09

Comment

Congratulations! You deserve it especially after all the hard work you had to put in just to get the right attorney! Welcome to the 60 day club!
                              Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                              Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X