Is means test required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is means test required?

If my income is 80k and my state median is 81k, will I have to do paperwork for the means test? Being self-employed it seems it will be a lot of extra paperwork. Are any red flags raised when you are very close to the median income?

Thanks in advance!

your means test paperwork will be very easy because once it comes out under the median, you skip to the end and just sign it.

however, you will need to file schedules I and J, showing income and expenditures. so there is no escaping the paperwork.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Thanks Music12,

We'll be filing in September and I'm trying to pull together all my document & info so I'm not scrambling later on.

Thanks,
      LetItGo

Comment

Originally posted by LetItGo View Post
        If my income is 80k and my state median is 81k, will I have to do paperwork for the means test? Being self-employed it seems it will be a lot of extra paperwork. Are any red flags raised when you are very close to the median income?
        You still complete a "portion" of the means test. I like to call it the "top part". That's where the calculation is made and it is determined whether you are over or under the median. If you are under the median, by even $1.00, then you don't complete the full means test (the bottom part).

It's a mechanical test. There's no scrutiny if you're $1 or $1,000 under. What is looked at is what's on your Schedule I and Schedule J. The Schedule J expenses are what will be used to determine whether you have disposable income.

Since you're sell-employed, you may get more scrutiny on your business income and business expenses.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by LetItGo View Post
          Thanks Music12,

We'll be filing in September and I'm trying to pull together all my document & info so I'm not scrambling later on.

Thanks,
          LetItGo
          that's an excellent idea - it will greatly reduce the stress later on.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
            that's an excellent idea - it will greatly reduce the stress later on.
            Yes it will! That's a great idea!
            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X