bad day at the bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad day at the bank

so i decided to go open a new checking account. just felt like it - sort of another step towards a fresh start. or so i thought. they declined me and handed me a piece of paper with info about chexsystems and told me they cannot explain anything to me but i can call chexsystems. i also saw my bk on the clerk's computer.

i never, ever bounced a check and never overdrew an account, and except for the bk itself, my record should be clean.

why would a bank decline my opening a checking account?? what's going on?
    i never had any relationship with this bank before, and i never owed them any money.

filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Dont sweat it buddy. Try another bank. You and I or I should say we all need to realize that we do get a fresh start but there is a price to pay for filing bankruptcy. Its to be expected...........we are all in the same boat.

PEACE!
    Filed 9/14
    341 10/22/09
    Trustees report of no distribution 10/26
    Scheduled for discharge 12/22

Comment

Originally posted by Shakin View Post
      Dont sweat it buddy. Try another bank. You and I or I should say we all need to realize that we do get a fresh start but there is a price to pay for filing bankruptcy. Its to be expected...........we are all in the same boat.

PEACE!
      I have to agree Ms. M12. They lose, not you. Our Country is in far more trouble than your bk was for you. This could be a blessing and a money order is paid and go. Dust your 'sandles' off and go forth to your new horizon. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Things happen, and we just have to work around them.

I've already opened 2 new accounts before filing and have them in good standing, so hopefully, there won't be any problems for me.

Good luck!
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I have opened 3 new accounts across 2 different banks that are BK-friendly and don't use ChexSystems. I did apply to my company's credit union, but got rejected due to the ChexSystems entry.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You would think, ChexSystems is invading privacy and to what use? I can understand a perpetual check shark, yes, but in bk a new start should be held up as just that, a new start. The States Attorney deals with bad check artists and this company is pure evil in my opinion. I see no real value to it's customers or the populace at all. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              You would think, ChexSystems is invading privacy and to what use? I can understand a perpetual check shark, yes, but in bk a new start should be held up as just that, a new start. The States Attorney deals with bad check artists and this company is pure evil in my opinion. I see no real value to it's customers or the populace at all. 'Hub
              So am I correct in assuming that filing BK when get you in Chex Systems even if you've never had a bad check writing history?

Would it be best then to open an account BEFORE filing?

OP---could you look at some CU's that open new accounts online? Our CU does. That way you wouldn't have to feel embarrassed or nervous about opening a new account?

Comment

You can order a free report from the chex system site.

My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

thanks all. i have ordered my chexsystem report - for some reason they don't show it to you online but mail it instead. so i will wait and see what's in there. would the bk itself appear there? i am confused.

justbroke, how do you know ahead of time if a bank or cu uses chexsystem or not or is bk friendly or not?

i still have two checking accounts from before filing, so opening a new one was not a need but a want. i'll be fine... the moral of the story is: do not close any checking account unless you have already opened another one successfully! i don't want to think what would have happened had i closed my current checking account before opening a new one.
                  filed ch7 May 09
                  341 june 09

Comment

I'm not sure that just having a BK puts you on Chexsystems.
                    I opened two new accounts after I filed. One at Chase and the other at State Farm Bank and did not have an issue with either one (I BK'ed a cc w/Chase and a mtg with EMC of about $583k which is owned by Chase).

But I never had a monthly automatic draft from my checking accts and that may make the difference. (I don't want anyone's fingers in my account but me! )I have read quite a few postings by people that had payments drafted from their acct after their filing that put them in the red which will land you in chexsystems.

Maybe it would be best to pull the chexsystems report first before you check out other banks/CU's.
                    Last edited by StartingOver08; 11-23-2009, 06:01 PM.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

We've had members who were on Chexsystems after their bk. All they had to do was provide a copy of their discharge and closing. Chexsystems removed the bk from their system.
                      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Get your Chex report before you try anyplace else.

Filing BK by itself shouldn't make any difference in regards to your Chex report. In fact, many people have been able to get their report cleared by sending Chex a nice letter and a copy of the BK paperwork. (For whatever reason they've been deleting)

Did the rep specifically say you were declined due to Chex, or did she just let you assume that? Many banks do credit checks even for checking accounts, so perhaps that particular bank doesn't want a fresh BK.

Comment

I'm getting close to my discharge date . Should I wait to request this report till after discharge? before? or does it really matter?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Originally posted by shabam View Post
                          You can order a free report from the chex system site.

https://www.consumerdebit.com/consum...s/en/index.htm

Comment

If you bk'ed anything at a CU, then you may end up in Chexsystems because of the cross collateralization. CU's will often report your "share" account and checking account as negative balances to the amount of any car loan or credit card loan that you bk'ed on them. Also CU's often will not let you stop any automatic payments that you have set up with them once they receive notice of bankruptcy. This could also land you in chexsystems since it would cause an overdraft.

If this is the only reason you ended up on chexsystems, and if you never actually bounced a check, then chexsystems will remove the entry if you show them a copy of your discharge.
                            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

backtoschool, that's very interesting! i actually went later yesterday to a cu i had forgotten i had an account with (i opened it a million years ago with $5 and never used it since). i asked to revive it. they said my balance was -$5. i thought that was weird, but i gave them $10 and presumably my account is revived (or not, i couldn't get online access with their instructions). maybe they are the culprits here...
                              filed ch7 May 09
                              341 june 09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X