settle 2nd mortgage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

settle 2nd mortgage question

Has anyone here on this forum ever had success settling with Suntrust Bank on a 2nd mortgage after filing chapter 7?

why wasn't that taken care of with the bk?

Comment

Originally posted by mbmullen View Post
      why wasn't that taken care of with the bk?
      Because you can't strip a second mortgage in Ch 7. Lien strips can only be done in Ch 13.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
        Because you can't strip a second mortgage in Ch 7. Lien strips can only be done in Ch 13.
        What exactly does "strip a second" mean? ...does that mean a second cannot be discharged in a chapter 7, assuming you do not want to keep the house?

Thanks

Comment

what if your first already foreclosed and the second is coming after you for their balance. That makes it unsecured and it can be wiped out??

Comment

Ryan,
            In a chapter 13 BK, if the value of the home that the filer wants to retain is less than the amount owed on the 1st mortgage, then the filer (usually his/her attorney though) can file either a motion or an adversary proceeding (depends on the jurisdiction) to have the lien from the 2nd mortgage 'stripped' of it's secured status and converted to unsecured. Because it is converted to an unsecured debt, it's just like a big credit card and is treated just like the other unsecured credit card debts. You are only allowed to do that in a chapter 13, not a chapter 7, to give you an incentive to do chapter 13.
            I have a client that is perfect for a chapter 7 but has to file a chapter 13 because his 2nd mortgage is ~$100k or so and he can't pay it anymore. That's the only reason he'll be doing a chapter 13.

--William
            I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
            As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

BKDefender, I haven't had my coffee this morning and am just plain 'slow' today, :-) ....

as to your above answer, if I have a house in FC on first, that also has a second (heloc) ..I want to give up house and will file BK7 this summer, will only the first be discharged as a debt then? ...are you saying the only way the second (heloc) can be discharged is by filing ch13? Thanks

Comment

Hi Ryan, its my belief that all debt is discharged in a chapter 7 including HELOCS as long as you are not re-affirming those loans. The liens will stay in place, but you are no longer responsible for the payments or the debt. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDefender View Post
                  Ryan,
                  In a chapter 13 BK, if the value of the home that the filer wants to retain is less than the amount owed on the 1st mortgage, then the filer (usually his/her attorney though) can file either a motion or an adversary proceeding (depends on the jurisdiction) to have the lien from the 2nd mortgage 'stripped' of it's secured status and converted to unsecured. Because it is converted to an unsecured debt, it's just like a big credit card and is treated just like the other unsecured credit card debts. You are only allowed to do that in a chapter 13, not a chapter 7, to give you an incentive to do chapter 13.
                  I have a client that is perfect for a chapter 7 but has to file a chapter 13 because his 2nd mortgage is ~$100k or so and he can't pay it anymore. That's the only reason he'll be doing a chapter 13.

--William
                  Is it safe to assume that he is not upside down on the 1st? If he was, couldn't he go ch7 and negotiate with the 2nd after discharge? What is your opinion on going the settlement route rather than with a lien strip if both are options? Thanks.
                  1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
                  2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
                  4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

We filed Chapter 7 and were discharged on both loans. We were able to settle our second of approx. $63,000 for $3,376 in exchange for "settlement in full" and a lien release. It was a gamble doing it this way but I was willing to let the house go if we weren't able to get the second lien released.
                    Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
                    341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
                    Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
                    Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

Ryan, if you don't want the house and have no other impediments to filing a chapter 7, then file a Chapter 7 which will discharge you of all your personal liability on your debts, including the 1st & 2nd mortgage. In that situation, the only reason you would want to do a Chapter 13 is if you wanted to keep your house. i.e. you could strip the secured status of the 2nd mortgage, presuming you owed more on your 1st mortgage than your house was worth, then your liability on the 2nd would be discharged, you would reaffirm your 1st mortgage and emerge from chapter 13 three to five years later with only a first mortgage and discharge all other debts.

But again, if you don't want the house, just do chapter 7 and get rid of the house, the liability on the 1st mortgage and the liability on the 2nd mortgage.

As far as doing just chapter 7 and keeping the house, you could reaffirm the first mortgage but not the 2nd mortgage and hope that the 2nd mortgage company doesn't file a foreclosure on your home. It doesn't make any economic sense for them to foreclose on the house since they'll have to pay the 1st mtg off completely before the 2nd can get anything from the sale. If the house is worth less than is owed on the 1st, then the 2nd mortgage company just sent $5k-$10k to foreclose on a house and they won't get their money back. In that case, you probably could negotiate a settlement on the 2nd to pay them 5%-10% of the 2nd and they'll go away.

--William
                      As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

William, thanks so much. That totally clarifies the matter. Once that is all done its off to relocating to LV....:-)

Comment

Ryan, if you actually move to Vegas, give me a call and we can grab lunch.

--William

Comment

Originally posted by BKDefender View Post
                            Ryan, if you actually move to Vegas, give me a call and we can grab lunch. --William
                            ...will do, and it will be my treat, counselor.

Comment

any settlements after ch 7 bk with suntrust bank?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X